Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad I got my MYP when I did. Once Tesla goes on the California CVRP this month and if the standard rebate increases to $5000 on February 28th like the rumors suggest, we might see another bump in sales. If all these rebates/credits are available for me, I will be getting $18,000 back from my purchase.

Reactions: cdub
Glad I got my MYP when I did. Once Tesla goes on the California CVRP this month and if the standard rebate increases to $5000 on February 28th like the rumors suggest, we might see another bump in sales. If all these rebates/credits are available for me, I will be getting $18,000 back from my purchase.
CA will get all the free money back from you soon! =)

CA will get all the free money back from you soon! =)
Not if you play the subsidy game! I am way ahead from "going green." I had a broken lawnmower and California bought me a brand-new electric lawnmower when I turned it in.

The issue with California right now is if you weren't an early adopter, this place is way too expensive. My mortgage would be way over double for the same house I bought 8 years ago. NEM 3 will suck for new solar owners. Anyone with NEM 2 and earlier are lucky to have that. If I just graduated college and was looking for a place to live, you better believe I would be looking out of state.

Ordered MYP on 2/3 and price (including yesterdays increase) is now $2k more than when I ordered.
I'm glad I ordered when I did (right after IRS raised limit to $80k on all Teslas).

Same here. Previously, I was holding off buying a MYP, thinking the IRS would not change their original SUV classification on the MY and that would encourage Tesla to eventually drop the MYP price below the $55K cap to meet the previous tax credit eligibility requirement. However, when the IRS changed their guideline (which effectively gave Tesla the green light to raise all their prices again), I decided it was time to end the hold-out and immediately placed my MYP order (while it was still priced at $57K) before the inevitable price increase(s). Just got lucky with timing. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

wow - anyone that reads this can see your blood boiling, man. You might be the most emotional Canadian I've ever conversed with.

You say they did it wrong, and it's obvious ("Business 101") how they should have done it, but when called on this claim, you offer nothing. Whinging is the word that comes to mind.

I've never been under the delusion that Elon, or Tesla, is a company out to save the world. It's a business, and he is capitalist with Trumpian level personality disorder and morals. That will certainly lead some to buy from any competitor that puts up a decent choice. In 2022, that option was nearly non existent, and it's still poor in 2023. It still looks like real competition is a year away. Until then, Tesla can pretty much do anything it wants to. Before, that meant raising prices. But you're upset now that it means lowering them. Funny stuff.
😂 😂 😂 😂 just keep running away from reality and inject 'emotion' into your responses to hide the fact that fanbois are going to be fanbois.

You must have a poster of MusK on your bedroom ceiling. "Offer nothing", "whinging". What have you offered? Nothing.

Project Highland is just for Model 3 right? I don't think there's anything on the horizon for the MY.

Want to make sure before I potentially pull the trigger on a MYP
All rumours only talk about M3 for now. M3 long overdue compared to MY.

I think M3 update will get HW4. Tesla won't mess with the backlog of MY orders and change production to HW4 or any type of refreshed styling. Giga China is having to shut down to get ready for the Highland M3 and Fremont supposedly will do so soon (See article below)....no way Tesla wants to pause MY for that long at this point in time. Once demand drops for MY (either from loss of tax credit or increased pricing) then Tesla will probably update production of MY to HW4. There are no long wait times for M3 right now.

This is all speculation on my part. Only time will tell. But my guess is MY will be the last updated as demand is so high so why bother right now?

All rumours only talk about M3 for now. M3 long overdue compared to MY.

I think M3 update will get HW4. Tesla won't mess with the backlog of MY orders and change production to HW4 or any type of refreshed styling. Giga China is having to shut down to get ready for the Highland M3 and Fremont supposedly will do so soon (See article below)....no way Tesla wants to pause MY for that long at this point in time. Once demand drops for MY (either from loss of tax credit or increased pricing) then Tesla will probably update production of MY to HW4. There are no long wait times for M3 right now.

This is all speculation on my part. Only time will tell. But my guess is MY will be the last updated as demand is so high so why bother right now?

Thanks a ton. Alleviates my concerns.

😂 😂 😂 😂 just keep running away from reality and inject 'emotion' into your responses to hide the fact that fanbois are going to be fanbois.

You must have a poster of MusK on your bedroom ceiling. "Offer nothing", "whinging". What have you offered? Nothing.
wow - 3 weeks have passed and you missed the beatings? I'm guessing the recent roller coaster of Tesla price decreases and increases was rough for you. But surely by now you can tell us the proper course they should take. It's basic economics, right?

Will you be sharing details of your experience?
Yeah overall it went well I suppose but I think during the crazy rush of orders Tesla is hiring some subpar employees though. Everyone seemed to hate their job at the service center and it looked like a bunch of college drop outs running the show. No one was wearing any Tesla shirts or gear and it felt just a bit unprofessional. I couldn't tell if someone was an employee or a customer. I basically drove up and checked in and someone pulled my car up and handed me the card keys and said here you go you are all set - bye. That was it! No offer to show me the car or anything. I mean fortunately I'm pretty tech savvy but the experience was pretty sub standard. Well now on to the details.

My order date was 1/25 and my original EDD was 3/28-3/31. But I traded reservations with a member on here since they were not quite ready to take delivery yet. We both have the exact configuration. I was worried there would be issues but no questions asked and registration was all handled the night before. I paid cash so I'm not sure if that made it easier or not but I don't see any issues if I had used a loan instead.

Now on to the car - I got an Austin Build in Southern California. My configuration is long range white/white. Everything else is stock with no other options. I can confirm none of the Austin build long ranges have matrix headlights on the lot. I saw perhaps maybe 5 or 6 Austin builds in the parking lot. There were about 3 or 4 Fremont builds and all had Matrix Headlights.

Build quality is fine. Yeah perhaps the panels gaps are larger than say my Mercedes but nothing was out of major alignment like some pics i've seen on here. There was perhaps a tiny small nick about 2 mm on one of the window trims but it's not that big of a deal. Probably happened during transport. It does look like the tweeter cover is on incorrectly though on the driver side. Seems like an easy fix though. Only other issues is there is a small tear in the cloth on the back seat where the leather meets the back seat cloth. Looks like it might have just been stretched too tightly. Again nothing major and as long as it doesn't get bigger it should be fine since you can't really see it. I did see one Fremont car have pretty crappy panel gaps though and the window trim where the front door meets the back door was off by a centimeter. The other fremont cars looked just fine. So yeah it's a bit roll of the dice :p

Ordered my MYLR on Jan 12th. within the hour of the price drop. I saw a post on Twitter that just said “HOLY *sugar*!!” with a screen shot of the order page and new prices.
I had been waiting for this moment ever since the Model 3 announcement, knowing that they would likely offer the crossover SUV form factor later on. (I’ve actually wanted this style of car with zero emission since my college days in 2006 when I started writing papers on alternative fuels and renewable electricity.) However, the MY pricing was a little much at launch and no tax credit at the time, so I knew I just needed to wait it out. So 4 years ago I bought a used Nissan Leaf for $6k to use as the daily commuter and kept my BMW E-90 as the road tripper and mountain bike hauler. This dramatically dropped my fuel usage and extended the life of the Beamer.(and extended my time with no car payment).
With this price drop and tax credit return, I knew it was finally time to pull the trigger. The pressure of taking delivery before March was another catalyst. (EV tax credit will likely decrease)
It then was a bit of a scramble to get funds for a decent down payment. This price drop came out of nowhere so I didn’t have the cash liquidity. (Been purchasing lots of $TSLA)
Had to sell the Beamer to a small dealership rather than private sale, because on Sat after the Thursday order, the MY delivery window changed from FEB-MAR to JAN 21st!!
It was a little annoying to get my bank and Tesla sales on the same page, had to call customer service for both institutions a few times to get things squared away. The day before delivery I was still unconvinced that Tesla would have the funds to let me take the car, but I had no issue on delivery day.
Delivery day experience at the Federal Way, WA location was pleasant. Think I waited 15 min for the customers in front of me to finish, then signed the papers, got the cards and I was all set. Naturally it was raining, so I didn’t do a thorough inspection there. Good thing too because I wouldn’t have caught anything. The car is flawless as far as I can tell. Absolutely love it and love that I finally have AWD without the extreme emissions and price penalty.
Spec: MYLR dual motor, grey, 19” Gem wheels, tow hitch, black interior

wow - 3 weeks have passed and you missed the beatings? I'm guessing the recent roller coaster of Tesla price decreases and increases was rough for you. But surely by now you can tell us the proper course they should take. It's basic economics, right?
Ya, I have a life away from the internet. You should try it some time.

No need to reinvent the wheel. Do it like it's been done for over a century by every other car manufacturer - due diligence = stable pricing. Doesn't get more basic.
You think the constant price changes is good for Tesla? Who wants to buy a vehicle from a company that can't keep their pricing stable for more than 14 days. 🤦‍♂️ But I'm sure you and and your fanboi club will invent a way to justify this latest stupidity.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid.

Last edited: