Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well FML. I just took delivery earlier today at noon of my MYLR and I see this price drop a few hours later. What a dampener on that new car feeling... I feel so f*cked over. šŸ˜ž
If you want to be aggressive about it, Try disconnecting your plaid asap or try to cancel your cashiers check (not sure if either will work but its possible) so money isnā€™t moved. Then try to renegotiate the price.

Reactions: skola
My auto loan was through my own bank, not Tesla. I'm basically f*cked lol
How did you pay them? Was it through plaid ach? Iā€™m saying disconnect ach now if you really want to try so the moneys not moved and then push Tesla. There were some forum posts about how itā€™s important to leave ach connected for 24 hours to make sure the money is moved. You can use that to your advantage.

Debating with myself about getting GAP insurance. It's easy to say drive it till it dies, but if I get in any accident that totals my vehicle out, I am going to be screwed by this new valuation on the car. If I got in an accident in the next couple of years, the value would likely be 20k short of what is still owed on the car. Beyond resale value, this might be the most significant sticking point with this price drop.

How did you pay them? Was it through plaid ach? Iā€™m saying disconnect ach now if you really want to try so the moneys not moved and then push Tesla. There were some forum posts about how itā€™s important to leave ach connected for 24 hours to make sure the money is moved. You can use that to your advantage.
For my purchase, I did a trade-in plus cash (as downpayment)... used Plaid Ach to do the cash payment on Tuesday and the money is already out of my account..I might be too late unfortunately

Doesnā€™t this mean the CA CVRP is available? They scoped out Teslas due to the prices but now itā€™s pre March 2022 pricing.
Yes, according to their eligibility requirement that SUV base MSRP max at $60K. They should be update their guidance re Model 3 and Model Ys.

Now a 53K Model Y can be potentially had for about 45K after 7.5K CVRP rebate and 7.5K Fed tax credit.

Wow!

I fear that Tesla will out-compete all other car manufacturers with these new prices. At these levels, there isnā€™t any margin to make a profit with unless youā€™ve scaled up production, something only Tesla so far has achieved. The competitors will bleed a lot of money this year, draining themselves of cash to invest in their EV production lines.
Bigger picture, Tesla just torpedoed the whole new car industry that hasnā€™t yet fully acknowledged that weā€™re no longer in an economy for big market adjustments.

Tesla the company will continue to be supply limited this quarter now, mainly because theyā€™re nimble enough to respond to external forces like a surprise EV tax credit MSRP cap. If the government ā€œfixesā€ the MSRP cap to $80k like it should have been for Y, then Tesla will gradually raise prices again, affecting used values positively.

This is the time to take advantage of a major shift if youā€™re able and want to upgrade to a newer car.

Once the stock market digests this news and ruminates on it a bit, it could be huge for the stock. There might be stock buying opportunities short term to make back losses for those who perceive that they overpaid for their car in the last year.

Debating with myself about getting GAP insurance. It's easy to say drive it till it dies, but if I get in any accident that totals my vehicle out, I am going to be screwed by this new valuation on the car. If I got in an accident in the next couple of years, the value would likely be 20k short of what is still owed on the car. Beyond resale value, this might be the most significant sticking point with this price drop.
I would say get GAP insurance to protect yourself. In some cases your loan or lease has GAP insurance included check your paperwork as I know for sure Tesla leases have GAP insurance included

Reactions: sunwarriors
Easy for you. I might have overpaid for a car thatā€™s about to plummet in value. I havenā€™t taken delivery and I wonā€™t if this is true. Not sure what Iā€™ll do with the tesla charger in the garage and the thousand dollars of accessories I already have waiting. Lol
Chill, man, I can confirm that my MVPA has been updated to reflect the new price.
I'd highly recommend getting GAP insurance and get yourself protected.
This is the time to take advantage of a major shift if youā€™re able and want to upgrade to a newer car.

Once the stock market digests this news and ruminates on it a bit, it could be huge for the stock. There might be stock buying opportunities short term to make back losses for those who perceive that they overpaid for their car in the last year.
I'd say it's a safe time to buy a Tesla, but there is no guarantee that coming March Tesla won't lower price again to offset the halved IRA incentive. But that'll be a gamble, if demand is strong enough Tesla may not react at all. I think we'll have more info on Jan 25th, but for tomorrow I'm not sure the market will immediately react positively to the price cuts, afterall in the short term Tesla won't be posting huge profits.

But man this cut is massive, even though I'm a firm believer that price cuts are coming this is insane, I thought we'll see a $50-55k MYAWD and a $55-58k MYLR. It'll be even more bomb when we see configurator of the MYAWD, my guess its base price is $49k.

No tax credit in Canada and MYLR dropped 21%. MYP 18%.
Check MX and MS. -30k and -20k respectively. WOW

Well itā€™s officialā€¦Covid pricing almost at an end. tesla just followed housing prices.

I guess now Iā€™m ā€˜stuckā€™ holding onto my 22ā€™ July MYP. Lucky I bought it for 82k so Iā€™m off by -6k here but my lord for those who paid 90k last monthā€¦sorry :(

Reactions: Choncho