Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran my vehicle for a trade via Tesla to see the trade in value during the $7,500 discount and it was around $55k. Ran it this morning.... OUCH!!!!

View attachment 895275
I am not even going to self hurt anymore today, haha. I already went into the Tesla MY config this morning and see that I can get a whole ass MYP and still have money in the bank for other random goodies for my other hobbies.

All you can really do is work with the information you have. I would have said more price cuts were a certainty, but you still never know.

Depending how the next months go, these cuts might still not be the last. Deflation is a heck of a thing.
the way it is going, there may be more price cuts. Ouch!! I think I will continue to enjoy driving the car and maybe remove myself from all these threads and pay it off as fast as I can. More options will be available in the next year.

I don't think we need to debate much on why Tesla reduced prices across their entire line-up. Be it supply/demand, rising competition, improved supply chain, or impact of the tax rebate, it's just economics and business. It's not personal. It's not about you.

I understand if you are pissed that the car you just got for whatever price, your nextdoor neighbor can now get it for cheaper. I bought my Model Y last year too. I get it. But I think herein lies the problem. You're pissed only because you're comparing yourself to someone else. What has changed in the last 24 hours? Used prices collapse? But the next guy who buys a new Tesla and you are going to be in the same used car market, if you sell. Otherwise, your car is still your car. It's the same car that you took delivery of and (hopefully) have enjoyed driving. I hope that you bought the car for what it is, an automobile that takes you from places to places. Comparison is the thief of joy.

In case you're wondering, good luck getting any concession from Tesla. They're not desperate to keep you as a customer - you're just one in millions. If they accommodate you, all other buyers will ask for accommodation too. That's how policies work. Unless you think Tesla is using predatory pricing to drive other automakers out of business, you have no legal basis for a lawsuit either. Nothing personal.

Given all the facts, how you feel is completely up to you. You could choose to agonize over your bad luck or the jealousy you have for the next Tesla customers who honestly couldn't care less about how you feel. Or you could choose to go about your day and keep enjoying your Tesla as if nothing ever happened. And enjoy your Tesla. The next guy who buys a Tesla is unlikely to love it as much as you did - if he did, he would've already paid the higher price for one. The price cut is supposed to draw customers who aren't as interested in the car. That's not you. You loved the car. And you could afford it. It's still the same car today.

It's been a wild 12 hours with y'all. This is going to be my last post on this topic. Happy Friday the 13th, everyone!

Last edited:
Tesla definitely used some questionable marketing techniques to sell 2023's before the end of the 2022 year with the "$3,500 or $7,500 instant rebate" during that one week craze... when shortly after, the new year 11 days in was followed by -$13,000 drop and the buyers will not qualify for the 2023 EV incentives. (Oh Tesla Knew Lol) Considering China Tesla price cuts months ago, the marketing tactic used by Tesla was solely to slight new buyers for high dollar amounts. Tesla did US buyers dirty when knowing their capacity for cars and decreased demand. This is very questionable when a company does this, when they are already top in their industry.

Unless buyers who bought during the rising interest rates and high prices are reasonably rectified for their purchase in q4 2022, Tesla played the villian and masterfully took advantage of these chumps. It is pretty funny to see Tesla ignore their devoted fanbase and strive for the next customer and blow people's minds, lol. It's just money, why do these people need the extra $15k when we can quickly optimize on their demand for our cars, after waiting months in preorder.

Let's talk about the low insurance rates guys, not how tesla has some ruthless sales techniques and does not really care about their customers. You guys sheepin' Elons World

Exactly! People are quick to forget things they've benefitted from. Things change, it sucks from time to time but thats the way it is.

Personally I'll hold off for another quarter before ordering. Prices might go up but thats the risk I'm willing to take. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

This is because the human brain is wired where lost money is far more painful than money gained. It is what it is, but I agree that it's hard to know what pricing can be. Since this isn't the lowest of all time pricing and there is more manufacturing capacity, who knows what will happen. The stock is holding up so wall street likes that Tesla is dumping inventory to protect market share and put the hurt on every other EV maker out there.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I've got a delivery set between January and February for my Model Y LR7. I got an e-mail this morning that showed my base price drop to $52,990, however, I saw my configurations increase slightly. The silver Metallica paint job that was previously included went up $1,000, and my 7 seat option went up from $3,000 to $4,000). Obviously I'm not complaining on the base price drop, but increasing the price on things I locked in previously doesn't seem right. Anyone else see that? Anything I can do?

Reactions: cdub
Shafting recent buyers. I don't think I will buy another Tesla. By the time I need another car there will be plenty of options to choose from.
That's what I heard in 2016 and 2019 and 2022. It turns out that only Tesla has good software and app, and a reliable charging network for road trips.
The price cuts are going to result in millions of new Tesla customers who are jubilant and couldn’t care less about how bitter recent buyers are. As time goes on, current Tesla owners are going to become a smaller and smaller minority.
Agree
This is outrageous. Don't we have any price protection as a consumer?
No because you signed the contract.
I feel for those who bought over last 2 months though. Tesla should at least provide free EAP as compensation.
Everything is supply and demand. The cars sold at the higher price. No free software coming.
I’m on the same boat and will be seeking legal advice.
Here, take this advice. Next time a vehicle increases in price from $53K to $66K from one year to the next, don't sign a purchase contract until the price falls back down.