Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes they are available - I think the bigger point is people don’t like getting screwed and no one likes being out $10k unnecessarily, I’ve worked with the super rich and they are some of the stingiest people I’ve met.

I would probably buy a Toyota or Honda over a Tesla at this point. Probably have at least another 3 cars in my lifetime and they won’t be teslas.
why are you here?

I'm one of the unfortunate Dec delivery takers, but at least got $3,750 off a $65,990 MYLR. On text and in person, Tesla reps were so excited and pumped for me to take delivery asap, because these cars may or may not qualify for the IRA deduction, inventory is low, and it's a *great* deal now with the instant rebate, blah blah blah. Less than week later, I was told too bad for me since I already took delivery, but the new incredible, never-comes-around deal was now $7,500 off with SC credit. And now, this, which has caused a huge overnight drop in my new car's value, and people having to buy GAP insurance.

They were very aggressively pushing for me to take the car asap in early Dec, and not risk taking it later for all the scary reasons they gave me. So yeah, maybe buyer beware or, so sorry about your bad luck, but there were definitely really questionable "close the deal" sales pressure tactics at the end.

Throw bones to loyal customers that bought a Tesla despite its high price, and didn't hold out on them until the government made it easier.

In my case, give me the Acceleration Boost for free, would be a minimum, since it's just software. Throw a year of free premium connectivity my way. Heck, give me some free supercharger miles. These are all things that they can do post sale to rectify the bad taste I've been left with 34 days into my Tesla ownership. This is how you make customers who are reasonably unhappy after a sale, happy. It's not like Tesla had no idea some of their customers lost 20k in the value of their car overnight. They aren't oblivious.
I think this is a great idea......you should tweet it at Elon to see what he says. I would myself, but Im not on social media. But great idea!

Reactions: Daekwan
For recent Canadian buyers may want to reach out to Competition Bureau. This overnight price dump could be seen as anti-competitive practice by undercutting the competition and dumping the unsold/cancelled orders from US market into Canada prior to the price reduction.
Trying to bring legal action against a company that is changing their product pricing based on Economic factors. Is "Tilting at Windmills".

They were very aggressively pushing for me to take the car asap in early Dec, and not risk taking it later for all the scary reasons they gave me. So yeah, maybe buyer beware or, so sorry about your bad luck, but there were definitely really questionable "close the deal" sales pressure tactics at the end.
So what you’re saying is Tesla is no better then any other sleazy car dealership.

Trying to bring legal action against a company that is changing their product pricing based on Economic factors. Is "Tilting at Windmills".
I'm not taking legal action. Competition Bureau is a Government of Canada agency. If Tesla redirected those canceled/held USA orders due to customers waiting for the US Federal Rebates could be seen as dumping into Canadian market.

Doesn't cost Canadians anything to file a complaint with Bureau.Worst case nothing happens but possibly getting any compensation for the $20K loss is worth it.

Last edited:
I don’t think the sales people knew anything about upcoming price decreases?
They just trying to make the end of Q4 push and get as many cars out the door as possible.

I'm one of the unfortunate Dec delivery takers, but at least got $3,750 off a $65,990 MYLR. On text and in person, Tesla reps were so excited and pumped for me to take delivery asap, because these cars may or may not qualify for the IRA deduction, inventory is low, and it's a *great* deal now with the instant rebate, blah blah blah. Less than week later, I was told too bad for me since I already took delivery, but the new incredible, never-comes-around deal was now $7,500 off with SC credit. And now, this, which has caused a huge overnight drop in my new car's value, and people having to buy GAP insurance.

1st rule of fight club, never trust Tesla reps (or car salespeople, solar sales folks, dealerships, financial advisors who are salesmen, etc....).

There was not a shortage of cars in December prior to the discounts.

Whenever I have folks try to rush me to buy stuff, I'm suspicious being naturally suspicious because these people aren't your friends and have no reason to honestly benefit you in any shape or form.

I would say on CA NEM3.0, yeah, you should rush to get that taken care of ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Daekwan and Choncho
Honest Question: What do you expect the outcome to be?
The Economic factors are global, not just in the USA. Did you not see the price reductions that just took place in China?
What Choncho is describing is different from what I think you're picturing, "dumping" in terms of manufacturing and exporting/importing is mostly about protecting one country's domestic economy from anti-competitive flooding of a market with products underpriced relative to their own domestic market and often subsidized by the government of the nation doing the dumping.

China is probably the worst offender out there, I've dealt with a bit of this stuff on the manufacturing side where Chinese companies were dumping subsidized and thus grossly underpriced steel into the Canadian market likely as part of a strategy to put domestic steel manufacturers out of business while supporting their own steel production.

I think anti-dumping provisions typically result in duties levied against the offending company, I'm not sure about compensation for consumers but don't know much about this stuff aside from what I've understood in passing while working in an industry that was recently fighting similar stuff.

Furniture has been another hot topic here in Canada, where companies in other Asian countries were subsidizing furniture manufacturers and flooding the country with product priced far below what it actually costs to make. Sounds good for consumers, but it's anti-competitive at its core and can destroy industries within the country being hit by the exports. When the domestic industry inevitably flounders, the offending companies/nations are then free to increase prices and operate a borderline monopoly.

Anyways not speculating about the potential success of this, just providing some insight for clarity

Reactions: hmmwv and Choncho
What Choncho is describing is different from what I think you're picturing, "dumping" in terms of manufacturing and exporting/importing is mostly about protecting one country's domestic economy from anti-competitive flooding of a market with products underpriced relative to their own domestic market and often subsidized by the government of the nation doing the dumping.

China is probably the worst offender out there, I've dealt with a bit of this stuff on the manufacturing side where Chinese companies were dumping subsidized and thus grossly underpriced steel into the Canadian market likely as part of a strategy to put domestic steel manufacturers out of business while supporting their own steel production.

I think anti-dumping provisions typically result in duties levied against the offending company, I'm not sure about compensation for consumers but don't know much about this stuff aside from what I've understood in passing while working in an industry that was recently fighting similar stuff.

Furniture has been another hot topic here in Canada, where companies in other Asian countries were subsidizing furniture manufacturers and flooding the country with product priced far below what it actually costs to make. Sounds good for consumers, but it's anti-competitive at its core and can destroy industries within the country being hit by the exports. When the domestic industry inevitably flounders, the offending companies/nations are then free to increase prices and operate a borderline monopoly.

Anyways not speculating about the potential success of this, just providing some insight for clarity
Thanks for the clarification, I don't believe since there have already been tax incentives of $7,500 in the US. That that would be considered state subsidizing and thus dumping to reduce competition. Just my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: Choncho

Same. In my case I was talked into taking the car before they gave out 10K supercharger miles, but I did get the $3750. I also missed the second price reduction, but by then I was resigned to, uh, things going up and down. And I ordered in May so I got in ahead of the midyear price increase, and FSD was "only" $12K. 🙄

Reactions: SLR89
Throw bones to loyal customers that bought a Tesla despite its high price, and didn't hold out on them until the government made it easier.

In my case, give me the Acceleration Boost for free, would be a minimum, since it's just software. Throw a year of free premium connectivity my way. Heck, give me some free supercharger miles. These are all things that they can do post sale to rectify the bad taste I've been left with 34 days into my Tesla ownership. This is how you make customers who are reasonably unhappy after a sale, happy. It's not like Tesla had no idea some of their customers lost 20k in the value of their car overnight. They aren't oblivious.
Those are reasonable requests. I hope you get them all!

OTOH, this would be a bad business move by Tesla for several reasons. First, as ucmndd said, people who already paid for the AB will be pissed. But it would be bad generally. Tesla has never done this in the past. If they do it now, they will be signalling they may well do it in the future which will get people even more pissed off if they don't do it.