Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have Level 3 active in Germany right now. The reports I’ve read are that it’s very good, reliable and safe. Elon better wake up and start paying attention instead of playing with his new shiny $44B object.
But for now at least, it is limited to only about 37 mph. I went on Youtube to check out a live review but noticed it only was being driven in stop and go traffic, and now I realize why...my wife's leased Model Y does 85 mph on Autopilot...wait - or was it 90 mph?

Last edited:
It looks like the price of the MY just dropped $13k. I was upset when I didn't get one before year end for the 7.5k, but that looks like it might be a mixed blessing.
Well, don't I feel great. When Tesla dropped a $3750 discount - which had been unheard of- I ran and got a new Model Y LR. Yay. Then a week later another $3750 discount was offered - ok..... now a wholesale drop - enough to get the MY into the new EV credit of $7500k???? Now my resale value is toast, I've got a car that - while wonderful - is now worth way less than what I paid (more than normal depreciation)..... I think Tesla owes us - at least - free EAP as a SOP to those of us who got the 2023 MY LR. Wow. Just wow.

We all are. Like, very. Along with more than a million other Tesla owners around the world. In China, the Y's are below $38,000, and might go down even more. Tesla was facing a big demand problem. Like someone said above, the demand had dropped off a cliff. Who would have bought one, at the previous price, and knowing there would be no $7,500 IRA credit given? Nobody.
Demand tanked because Elon pandered to the MAGAs who'd never dare be seen in an EV - which ticked off the BLUES who were his target customer base- not happy about the price decrease, but gotta admit- Elon brought it on.

I bought my MYP at a higher price than the purchase price today as well. I also have no loyalty to any brand or vehicle. But if Tesla has the best product for my use case and at a proper price. I would also buy again. To do otherwise is just throwing good money after bad.
When buying things like vehicles, jewelry, artwork, and real estate, it would be silly to ignore the resale value of the thing if you know you're not going to keep it forever. For many people, one of the deciding factors is its inevitable reale/trade-in value. For a Tesla now, unless it's being sold at then-historic lows, you can't be confident in an expected depreciation curve. Now you have to add that anxiety on top of the unsupported/outdated/incompatible tech anxiety.

Will I have those promised assist features next upgrade? Will the next version of FSD be compatible with my car? Will the next software upgrade run too slow on my system? Is my battery the last of the "bad ones"? Am I going to be missing out on the next killer feature that is going to be announced right around the corner? Will my car be able to charge at the higher rate of the upcoming supercharger? Will I even be able to trade it in for half its value in 3 years?

It's all the anxieties people have with buying laptops and phones, but this time wrapped in a expense that is easily 50x-100x times more expensive. The car needs less maintenance, so it should hold its value longer, yet now there are a plethora of new ways it can be devalued. Kind of ironic.

Reactions: sunwarriors
Why is everyone appraising 2023 models today?!?!
Overall Tesla holds value better than 3 year old bmw. Those sold $60k new and you can buy it 3 years later for $25k at Carmax. Don’t see anything like that with Tesla. Even 2014 MS sold for crazy cash.
Market was nuts in 21-22 due to supply issues. I was really tempted to unload MY I bought for $49k for $68k I was offered and get hybrid accord for $30k.
Family voted my plan down. I truly thought next EV will be something else since paying $65k for MY is out of my price range.
I am glad I kept it, next one will probably be another MY when Tesla sorts some stuff out with USS and makes more significant improvements for me to consider trade in.
I forgot which update I installed on it, but it is night and day what it was when I picked it up in 04/2021. Other companies like VW still have same software 2 years later, 0 improvements. So people can boycott Tesla, but this is not some sort of investment. My friends buy cars and drive those for 10 years till those have no value.
I keep driving “new” car with updated software that gets better and better.

Reactions: Dennisis and DrGriz
Yeah the price drop is upsetting for sure. I took delivery of my MYP in April so paid the old high price. Not gonna dwell on it too much. Love the car. I paid cash and plan to keep the car for a pretty long time so probably whenever I decide to get rid of it it will not have much value anyway. That's one issue with electric vehicles-the tech is still evolving pretty quickly. Reminds me of the old personal computer days when a new computer would be obsolete in a couple of years. So my nifty MYP will probably be old school obsolete by the time I sell or trade it. I am 66 years old so I will also be pretty old school obsolete too:) I think Tesla benefitted hugely by the pandemic car shortage, but now that things are back to normalish and more EVs out there the pressure is on.

Reactions: zpaul and BitJam
Demand tanked because Elon pandered to the MAGAs who'd never dare be seen in an EV - which ticked off the BLUES who were his target customer base- not happy about the price decrease, but gotta admit- Elon brought it on.

The couple of bozos that would've bought a Tesla and now won't because of whatever Elon tweeted aren't driving this. Tesla has been ramping up production, supply constraints are easing, and nobody except BYD is anywhere near Tesla's scale. Throw a government incentive on top and here we are.

Yes, anyone who bought at a higher base price, in the last year, should be compensated with something that "on paper" is worth up to ~30% of the difference.
A year!

Lol, yeah. We’re just on completely different planes of reality here.

To reiterate one of my earlier posts, there’s a difference between being upset and being irrational. The idea that tesla should retroactively compensate purchasers up to a YEAR ago is straight up delusional.

Best of luck on your crusade.

Reactions: hmmwv and Dennisis
Hey, not sure this has been addressed yet (tried to read every single post but quitting now at page 20) BUT -- exactly WHAT IS this mystical magical MSRP going to be officially qualifying at?

Because I was thinking that at $52,990 for a MYLR, I could add two (2) $1000 options (or one single $2000 option) and still come in at $54,990 (under $55,000 to get the tax credit) but nobody has talked about the (newly increased) destination fee of $1390 that must also be added on before tax...thereby taking me Over that $55K threshold.
Or did I miss this in another topic thread somewhere?

Hey, not sure this has been addressed yet (tried to read every single post but quitting now at page 20) BUT -- exactly WHAT IS this mystical magical MSRP going to be officially qualifying at?

Because I was thinking that at $52,990 for a MYLR, I could add two (2) $1000 options (or one single $2000 option) and still come in at $54,990 (under $55,000 to get the tax credit) but nobody has talked about the (newly increased) destination fee of $1390 that must also be added on before tax...thereby taking me Over that $55K threshold.
Or did I miss this in another topic thread somewhere?

IRS site says it's based on MSRP exclusive of destination and fees.