Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, not sure this has been addressed yet (tried to read every single post but quitting now at page 20) BUT -- exactly WHAT IS this mystical magical MSRP going to be officially qualifying at?

Because I was thinking that at $52,990 for a MYLR, I could add two (2) $1000 options (or one single $2000 option) and still come in at $54,990 (under $55,000 to get the tax credit) but nobody has talked about the (newly increased) destination fee of $1390 that must also be added on before tax...thereby taking me Over that $55K threshold.
Or did I miss this in another topic thread somewhere?
Directly from the IRS website:

In addition, the vehicle's manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) can't exceed:

• $80,000 for vans, sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks
  • $55,000 for other vehicles
MSRP is the retail price of the automobile suggested by the manufacturer, including options, accessories and trim but excluding destination fees. It isn't necessarily the price you pay.

Reactions: mrbulk
Hey, not sure this has been addressed yet (tried to read every single post but quitting now at page 20) BUT -- exactly WHAT IS this mystical magical MSRP going to be officially qualifying at?

Because I was thinking that at $52,990 for a MYLR, I could add two (2) $1000 options (or one single $2000 option) and still come in at $54,990 (under $55,000 to get the tax credit) but nobody has talked about the (newly increased) destination fee of $1390 that must also be added on before tax...thereby taking me Over that $55K threshold.
Or did I miss this in another topic thread somewhere?
I don't think destination fee is included in this

Reactions: mrbulk
A year!

Lol, yeah. We’re just on completely different planes of reality here.

To reiterate one of my earlier posts, there’s a difference between being upset and being irrational. The idea that tesla should retroactively compensate purchasers up to a YEAR ago is straight up delusional.

Best of luck on your crusade.
I initially said just Q3 and Q4 buyers, but given that the things Tesla can offer don't even cost Tesla anything, it's hardly reasonable. That cars already can do the acceleration and they already have the cpu and cameras. Flipping a few booleans server side for people who experienced 1 to 3 years of depreciation in 1 day is a no brainer in terms of goodwill.

Reactions: tonyz1
I’m curious how many people who bought in the last year at the higher price are conveniently forgetting the over inflated trade-in/sale price they got of the vehicle their Y replaced. While I’m sure it doesn’t amount to $13k it should soften the blow…
I doubt the majority of last year's buyers traded in Teslas. Heck, I didn't even trade in anything

I initially said just Q3 and Q4 buyers, but given that the things Tesla can offer don't even cost Tesla anything, it's hardly reasonable. That cars already can do the acceleration and they already have the cpu and cameras. Flipping a few booleans server side for people who experienced 1 to 3 years of depreciation in 1 day is a no brainer in terms of goodwill.
That may work well for you, but what about those individuals who purchased FSD and/or Acceleration Boost?

Reactions: Dennisis
Demand tanked because Elon pandered to the MAGAs who'd never dare be seen in an EV - which ticked off the BLUES who were his target customer base- not happy about the price decrease, but gotta admit- Elon brought it on.
Demand declined in CHINA because COVID has become rampant there, causing widespread disruption of the economy and people's incomes.
The CCP also fully subsidizes Tesla's competition.
In the US, interest rates tripled, causing financial assets and real estate to plummet, making people feel less wealthy and less prone to make big purchases.

Not at all because of Elon's Twitter adventures. That 'blue' customer base was fully tapped out early on anyway.
The reporters who populate that community have been upset with their bubble being burst, and Elon doesn't buy advertising from their employers.
So Open Season on Elon commenced !!

I doubt the majority of last year's buyers traded in Teslas. Heck, I didn't even trade in anything
I reserved a 7 seater at $57,990 in Oct. 2021.
When I picked up my Y in June I didn’t trade in a Tesla. I did sell my 2 year old Toyota Tacoma with 36,000 miles to CarMax for $500 less than I bought it for, including tax.

With the new prices I paid $1k more than I would have now. Not upset since I got $14k positive equity on the Tacoma.

That may work well for you, but what about those individuals who purchased FSD and/or Acceleration Boost?
I'd image the number of people who bought FSD and Acceleration Boost on their overpriced 2022 cars is small enough that free SC miles can be given to those people. Tesla had no problem handing out SC miles to people buying at second-half of December prices, so now we're talking about an even smaller number of remaining, possibly disgruntled owners. And again, only those who ask for compensation. Don't go looking for people to give compensation to. It's a blip on Tesla's balance sheet.

It doesn’t have to be a Tesla, the values of all used cars was way up.
I realize that. I just didn't have a car to sell or trade in.

Reactions: 804son
Still can't add third row to Performance model to get the credit (as a van).

EDIT: and the third row went up a grand to $4k on the Long Range.

EDIT2: Damn, I guess my trade-in value just tanked along with these drops.

EDIT3: Waiting for the fed to update the definition of an SUV and then order the MYP in the small window before they raise the price to under the $80k cap.
I've seen references that the IRS requires 7 seats for a SUV and the higher $$$$ limit.

Musk talked months ago about potential price drops due to lower Lithium and other material costs.

I believe the IRS rebate is only good till March because of the additional minerals requirements.

I'm shocked that the reduction is this massive, Shafting recent buyers.
I don't think I will buy another Tesla.
By the time I need another car there will be plenty of options to choose from.
Sure.. but nothing, not even offerings from the German brands will be as technologically advanced or a better value. Let’s not even get into the range.. the German and Asian competitors of the Plaid cars can’t even touch the high range. My friend’s new E-Tron GT RS can barely get 200 miles real world range on a full charge.

Last edited:
As long as you agreed not to sue over any battery issues.
Seems it was more of a goodwill gesture for all the recall issues instead of a refund due to a price decrease.

I don't think any old Bolt owners got this. It was specifically targeted to people who paid $6k more or something before the price cut. People can keep harping about some anti lawsuit thing, but do these lawsuits seriously ever lead anywhere or did we ever hear anyone suing Tesla, GM for any car fires yet and actually getting much/anything? There are still regular Tesla fires from this list (some not crashing).

No matter that it's some document to not sue (reminds me of not talking bad about Twitter and sign to get severance) I still go back that $$ is still given to some folks who paid $6k more for a Bolt, GM cut prices, GM offered $6k credit + sign a doc to not sue. I think it's an easy choice and I'd gladly do that and get the $$.

At the end of the day, I think people care about the $$ and a lot of the posters here maximize having to sign some doc that anyone who got severance from a layoff has to sign, etc etc etc, but it's still $$ that allowed you to buy the car at the new lower price.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
late dec delivery here with a final price of 64,173 including tax, i thought i got a pretty good deal with that 7500 right off the bat, but damn this news really screwed my morning, i didn't think i'll ever see a 2 weeks old car losing 11k on the value let alone my own. my one silver lining is i don't believe i qualify for the new tax incentive anyway since i don't owe the IRS jack. not gonna lie this cushioned me a bit psychologically since without the 7500 the gap is really down to 4-5k. i hope but highly, highly doubt tesla would give us something for our trouble, but its a nice thought. i'm pretty certain tesla is gonna receive alot of flak in potential 2nd time buyer who has brand loyalty, this definitely upset alot of people and puts a damper on telsa's image.