Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious how many people who bought in the last year at the higher price are conveniently forgetting the over inflated trade-in/sale price they got of the vehicle their Y replaced. While I’m sure it doesn’t amount to $13k it should soften the blow…
I made almost $20k flipping Tesla’s last year.. I’m not mad all with the recent price fiasco.. Elon even warned about it. I mean am I pissed that the residual value of my ‘21 MY just dropped substantially? Sure.. but TSLA and the flips last year more than made up for it.

Can anyone confirm if the destination fee is included in the MSRP used to calculate if you qualify for the $7500 credit? If you price an MY long range and add white seats the total is over $55,000 with the destination fee but under $55,000 without the fee. Thank you in advance
I have verified this with SA. Only MSRP is counted. Not destination fee and other fees.

Reactions: surferdud
How is it a bad comparison? Vehicle transaction price is vehicle transaction price. Whether its goes to the dealer or the OEM is irrelevant to you as the consumer, and that's ignoring the fact that Ford/Hyundai/VW did raise MSRPs as well.
it's bad comparison because it ignores who's intention, OEM has no legally binding recourse to tell dealers to not add markups, in fact ford has made some attempts to get it's dealerships to stop the practice, when you deal with legacy autos, you are dealing with two entities, the OEM, and the dealership.

Anyone get gap insurance? My insurance that I have for home and auto says "We can only add GAP within the first 14 days of purchase."

Surely there are other insurance companies willing to provide gap insurance 14 days after purchase ( I took delivery in Nov 2022).

Is there any issue having gap insurance through a different insurance company as your primary auto insurance? I do like my current provider but wish they would give me gap...

After hearing the price drop, I called my insurance and got a fresh quote, which made it so I could add GAP coverage. I have two Teslas and a Jetta on my account. One teen driving as well so my premium was high. It dropped by $120/mo with the new policy including GAP.

Conclusion, call Progressive! 😂

Crap.. I forgot about Lucid. Oh well. Besides Lucid there isn’t anything close.

FWIW: Lucid is pretty much dead in the water. they can barely ship 10% of the units that Tesla does.

It's easy to always hate on anything not a Tesla here, but look at this:

I think Mercedes will keep pumping out high range EVs and I've noticed if Tesla is beat in one category, posters love to now knock something else.

Tesla isn't the only answer and the only way for a lot of people.

I think Mercedes will keep pumping out high range EVs and I've noticed if Tesla is beat in one category, posters love to now knock something else.

Exactly...a number of other manufacturers are besting Tesla range....however, if you look at efficiency then Tesla still is top of the pack.
If you watch OutofSpec range tests on some of the BMW models they are beating EPA by a lot...with Tesla it is almost impossible to even match EPA in a test. So just looking at a spec sheet doesn't tell the full story.

Exactly...a number of other manufacturers are besting Tesla range....however, if you look at efficiency then Tesla still is top of the pack.
If you watch OutofSpec range tests on some of the BMW models they are beating EPA by a lot...with Tesla it is almost impossible to even match EPA in a test. So just looking at a spec sheet doesn't tell the full story.

Lucid is also more efficient than Tesla (so folks knock their production/sales). Lucid has lots of other problems from reading their forums though.

What you say is true for most EVs, but some cars specifically have lower range/efficiency because it doesn't have the ideal shape for range and looks better (subjective of course) for buyers or other reasons.

Once you get over a certain point in range, it's just almost unnecessary for 99% of the people/use cases. Supercharger network is definitely better, but if one were to plan a long trip on abrp, I think some Taycan's can charge faster than Tesla and can get to a destination in similar times or really close.

I just see blanket statements here slamming other makers and find it dishonest and should be called out.

After hearing the price drop, I called my insurance and got a fresh quote, which made it so I could add GAP coverage. I have two Teslas and a Jetta on my account. One teen driving as well so my premium was high. It dropped by $120/mo with the new policy including GAP.

Conclusion, call Progressive! 😂
I am trying to understand the gap insurance correctly… I just contacted Progressive which I have and they said gap insurance is only offered to people with an outstanding loan or lease but not when the vehicle is paid in full???

Reactions: cdub and JaeTheDev
I am trying to understand the gap insurance correctly… I just contacted Progressive which I have and they said gap insurance is only offered to people with an outstanding loan or lease but not when the vehicle is paid in full???

The entire point of GAP insurance is to provide more money to pay off a loan in the event a vehicle is totaled and a significant amount more is owed than the vehicle was worth. So if a vehicle is paid off, there is no reason to have GAP.

A quick Google yielded the follow explanation.

“Guaranteed Asset Protection insurance was established in the North American financial industry. GAP insurance protects the borrower if the car is written off or totalled by paying the remaining difference between the actual cash value of a vehicle and the balance still owed on the financing.”

Hope this helps to better understand GAP and when it’s important to have.

Throw bones to loyal customers that bought a Tesla despite its high price, and didn't hold out on them until the government made it easier.

In my case, give me the Acceleration Boost for free, would be a minimum, since it's just software. Throw a year of free premium connectivity my way. Heck, give me some free supercharger miles. These are all things that they can do post sale to rectify the bad taste I've been left with 34 days into my Tesla ownership. This is how you make customers who are reasonably unhappy after a sale, happy. It's not like Tesla had no idea some of their customers lost 20k in the value of their car overnight. They aren't oblivious.
Incredibly thoughtful post.

Acceleration boost, a year of premium connectivity, and/or free supercharger miles are things that literally cost them pennies on the dollar. Considering they already sold you the vehicle for record high-profit margins.. instead of making $20,000 in profit off the PoS customer.. they make $19,800 and keep the customer happy & satisfied.. which helps guarantee they come back when it's time to purchase another vehicle.

Business should be a mutual relationship. One that leaves the company happy.. and the customer happy. It doesn't have to be a one-way street either way.

My favourite is What's The Real World Highway Range Of Today's Electric Cars? We Test To Find Out

1673711364713.png

• Informative
Reactions: flgatorfan

Wow! I stand corrected. The offerings from Mercedes seem like the epa rating has a huge buffer and that the real world range is actually higher! The total opposite of Tesla! I think that once the non-supercharger charging infrastructure gets on par Tesla might have some worries. However, this is case with these great cars that are well over $100k. I wonder what the cheaper segment will have to offer that competes with the 3/Y as well as these more expensive cars do. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but nothing out there yet competes with this segment ($40k-$75k) that has supercharger reliability and range north of 350?

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Manufacturers can make voluntary adjustments to the EPA range test results if they want to create a buffer between the cycle results and real world, you're seeing different strategies here from different companies. Porsche and Mercedes in particular have said they'd rather lean more towards understating and increasing the chances of exceeding the listed range.