Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re buying just to flip, a Tesla is a very risky proposition anytime!
For those who seek to try and capitalize by buying and flipping then I guess I can understand their grievance. Personally, I wouldn’t take that risk.

I purchased the MYP because I was in the market for a new vehicle and I genuinely liked the car after test driving it. Granted, I liked the Model S more, but I wasn’t willing to stretch the budget considering we’re financing another new vehicle we purchased less than a year before we picked up the Y. So while I would have preferred to pay current prices, I can’t go back in time to reverse that decision and I’ve already accepted it. Fortunately, we’re in a comfortable financial position, so we can afford to take a hit and accept the loss. However, I do feel bad for families or individuals who had to stretch their budget significantly in order to get into a new vehicle only to find out later that the same model is much more affordable today. They’re stuck with the current cost while the used Tesla market has taken a nose dive and they won’t be able to break even. That has to hurt. I’ll pass the MYP on to my son when he graduates college, or my daughter when starts high school in a few years. Life goes on.

Reactions: pitiso
Everyone likes Tesla and the benefits of its disruption until they get caught in the wake…

This convo in a nutshell:

Others: Tesla did something I don’t like and I feel bad. Can we do something?

Us: That sucks but probably not

Others: But they should fix it

Us: that’d be cool but easier said then done, they probably won’t

Others: How can they not? Costco does X, my friend said X, their customer service is terrible, their fit and finish is bad, etc

Us: I don’t know what to tell you, none of that matters and it’s kind of on you to make that decision at the start - would be cool if it was better for you but probably not

Others: No you’re not hearing me, Amazon does X, my friend said X, their customer service is terrible, their fit and finish is bad, etc

Us: No we got that but the answers still the same.

Others: WHY ARE YOU BEING SO MEAN TO US. YOU ARE NOT HEARING ME. Kia does X, my friend said X, their customer service is terrible, their fit and finish is bad, etc

Us: We still get it but the answers still the same.

Others: TESLA OWNERS ARE BAD PEOPLE. I’M NEVER COMING BACK
Apple does X, my friend said X, their customer service is terrible, their fit and finish is bad, etc

Us: Ok… bye, I hope you find what your looking for

Others: YOU’RE NOT EVEN GOING TO FIGHT FOR US. YOU MONSTERS.
Walmart does X, my friend said X, their customer service is terrible, their fit and finish is bad, etc

Us: What are we suppose to do? We’re not Tesla. You asked for our opinion, we gave it, you didn’t like it and 50+ pages we are here.

Others: OK, NOW IM REALLY GOING TO LEAVE.
Lamborghini does X, my friend said X, their customer service is terrible, their fit and finish is bad, etc

Us: ….

Others: HELLO?? WE’RE STILL MAD OVER HERE.
Toyota does X, my friend said X, their customer service is terrible, their fit and finish is bad, etc

Us: Answers still the same, no matter how many times your re-word it.

Others: BUT WHYYYYYYYYYY
As soon X company builds a better product, I’m soooo outta here. Give 2-3 years and X will be dominating Tesla. Well, maybe 5 years. On second thought make 10 just to be safe. X can’t seem to scale and they still outsource their software development but their USS and 360 view are soooo fire, Tesla’s won’t know what hit them once they totally evolve their entire company. Ok, call it 15 years and then I’m outta here.

Us: Ok… you know we’re still not Tesla right? Just a bunch of random anon people on the internet…

Others:
Oh man! They released HD Radar, I think I’m gonna trade in my 2022, is this a good financial decision? Let me know your thoughts!

For those who thought they were getting a great deal with the recent discount and tax credit, no, you merely received a good one.

I have received the greatest deal Tesla has ever offered - $35,000 cash for purchasing a Model Y. Receipts included.

Last Friday, I ordered a MYLR from inventory and am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow.

Purchasing through the app was a little strange, Tesla took 5 days on the estimate, leaving me 1 day to arrange financing. Even after that, they only sent the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement - required by the bank to issue the loan - at 10pm last night. The ink is still drying on the loan papers my wife and I signed this morning.

While that might sound frustrating, imagine my delight discovering Tesla did the proper thing and compensated me for all the frustrations by crediting my account with an additional $44,630 payment. By doing so, the app recognizes the car is fully paid for and ready for delivery. More importantly, it prevents me from paying the additional ~$8k I was prepared to use as a downpayment.

tesla-app-1.jpeg

I love money.

To be clear, there is now absolutely no way to make the downpayment through the app. The screen which had previously been there, linking to a payment service named Plaid, is gone. All there is now is this glorious bottom line showing the company now owes me $35,695.50 just for buying this Model Y. Also, the app offers absolutely no way to contact the company to make sure this is correct. My service assistant has been MIA all week and won't return a call or text, which must me this is an issue they are prepared to handle after giving me the car.

Just to make sure this wasn't some problem with the app itself, I checked the Tesla website. Of course, the website lists the same numbers. Corroboration means all is as it should be.

tesla-app.jpeg

What should I do with all this newfound money? Sadly, the aftermarket accessories I was planning to purchase post-delivery are all sold out. I will use the $35k plus the downpayment to pay off the lien this week and enjoy my new car free from any payments.

Giving me this deal on a new Model Y for 2023 was the best thing Tesla ever did as a company. Now I can say I received the best deal anyone has ever gotten from them, and make a series of influencer videos gloating. Curious if I am the only one, or if anyone else has been ghosted by your SA only to receive a huge discount.

Reactions: sdq_11
It might be the amount that will go to pay off your Mach-E. And clearly something got messed up and will get corrected eventually but it might take months
As delightful as it is to look at a screen saying Tesla owes me $35k, I know this is a fault in their accounting system.

But I'm supposed to take delivery tomorrow. What should someone actually do in this situation?

I'm happy to give them the downpayment, the issue is they won't let me.

Reactions: sdq_11
It's disappointing to a lot of folks now I think because we are all used to being free in the sense the cars were appreciating in value. Now they have significantly dropped forcing you to either hold onto the car or take a loss.

Folks just keep the car and drive it. You haven't lost anything if you keep driving it. The market could change again in another year.

To me it's a real opportunity for folks who couldn't afford a Tesla to join the family. In the coming weeks and months it should also make used Tesla more affordable which will allow folks on more limited incomes to own a used Tesla.

Yes it's disappointing to see the car worth less on paper but we all agreed to pay what we paid because we wanted the car. We all knew these were not 65-70k cars. We all have a choice to either look at this as an opportunity to further EV adoption or to let it ruin our Tesla ownership experience.

I'm choosing to look at the positive. I'm sure things will be completely different in another 6-12 months. It will be fun to watch get your popcorn 🍿.

Sorry for the click-bait-y Youtube style title, but it pretty much sums up what I've been thinking -

Seems like it's just bad (or good) timing, because first China (country with 2nd-most Tesla sales) cuts its EV incentives by end of 2022, then the U.S. (with the Most Tesla sales) starts EV tax credit in 2023, meaning Tesla sales were pretty much coming to a standstill.

So starting with the Dec. 2022 $3750/$7500 discounts, the price cutting began.

But what if there were no changes in EV incentives by either country?

I picked up my MYLR on 12/30 and for the $7500 off plus 10K supercharger miles. I looked up the same arrangement today and it is about $4500 cheaper than I paid. The 10k miles is worth probably $1000 or less to me since so probably won’t use all of them in 2 years. So I paid about $3500 more than I would have if I waited.
@DaveInLA , you would have gotten $7500 tax credit if you waited. So, it's like 11K

So, I ordered the MYLR last March. Delivery was supposed to be August. in July, it got delayed till Jan-March 2023 so being impatient I switched to MYP and got delivery in 2 weeks. Do I wish I would have waited now? Sure, but I would say the same thing if I bought a house and the market drops and the house is worth less. Sometimes, you just have to say “it is what it is”. If you bought a Tesla to flip or make money, then it’s the risk you take and it’s all on you.

what you have to understand is the big picture. And when I say big picture, I really mean BIG PICTURE!

For those of you in my age bracket or higher (50s on up), it was always a well known conspiracy that the US government would do anything they could to keep us addicted to sweet crude oil. Rumors of conspiracy were exaggerated but behind it was always a bit of truth. Let me make this clear, no matter what either side says, they are ALL against eliminating fossil fuels in our lives. We all know the right (conservatives) believes that, but the left just pretends and uses that to get votes but then makes back door deals to stifle the very things they pretend to push.

then along comes Elon Musk!

Not only does he embrace the electric vehicle, he comes up with a plan so detailed, no other CEO has ever done EVER. He sells high priced cars to the rich and uses that money to establish a network or charging stations, meanwhile using that time to optimize batteries and motors so that eventually he could come out with a more affordable model for middle class workers. If you remember, it was at this moment that he was attacked from all corners for every small thing he did “cough”. “Joe Rogan “. Then the people in the media “pretended” to like him because they couldn’t all just say bad things about a guy changing the world Otherwise people would catch on that something is going on. Then comes the whole Twitter thing. Not a day goes by that the media now has some excuse to hate him.

Now the government puts up a rebate program that yeah sounds like they are supporting Tesla again but they purposely “snub” the model Y while letting comparative imports to enjoy the rebates. What I see from these price cuts is not from a threat of competition but a BIG FU to the government. Tesla is doing this BECAUSE THEY CAN.

What this also foreshadows is the future pricing of EVs (mainly teslas) and a continual takeover of the market from Tesla. Because of the simplistic design, it’s very plausible that teslas will continue to get cheaper and cheaper and my prediction is that eventually , they will be substantially cheaper than most ICE vehicles. Obviously the most important element in all of this is the cost of batteries (something that Tesla continually will be improving).

So am I pissed I missed out? Sure, but I also am excited that this could just be a sign to how well positioned Tesla is to finally break the chain of control we have been under for 50+ years.

BTW, I am not a hater of ICE vehicles, just a hater of stiffling of progression just to fit the agenda of our political leaders.

I disagree. Savvy buyers have always been able to research what “invoice” is for their particular build and use it in negotiations with dealers as not to get shafted on MSRP. Invoice may go up and down between model years but doesn’t drop 20% overnight.
Hehehehe now if that is not a joke, then what is.

Invoice price is just a line in the sand. There are many other ways the actual price changes via schemes like ship & debit. That is just one. There are many other ways.

Ignorance is truly bliss.

This is like getting married. You get married when you feel comfortable with the other person. You cannot keep checking out after that. That is what leads to unhappiness & divorce.

For those who seek to try and capitalize by buying and flipping then I guess I can understand their grievance. Personally, I wouldn’t take that risk.

I purchased the MYP because I was in the market for a new vehicle and I genuinely liked the car after test driving it. Granted, I liked the Model S more, but I wasn’t willing to stretch the budget considering we’re financing another new vehicle we purchased less than a year before we picked up the Y. So while I would have preferred to pay current prices, I can’t go back in time to reverse that decision and I’ve already accepted it. Fortunately, we’re in a comfortable financial position, so we can afford to take a hit and accept the loss. However, I do feel bad for families or individuals who had to stretch their budget significantly in order to get into a new vehicle only to find out later that the same model is much more affordable today. They’re stuck with the current cost while the used Tesla market has taken a nose dive and they won’t be able to break even. That has to hurt. I’ll pass the MYP on to my son when he graduates college, or my daughter when starts high school in a few years. Life goes on.
I noticed on Autotrader prices for recent vintage, low mileage 2021 and 2022 MYs HIGHER than a new 2023 MY you could order today from Tesla, or pick one from inventory. Interesting to see at which point used MYs will drop enough that it would make sense to buy one over a new one.