Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery 11/1/22 on model y fsd, after factory mod options/taxes paid 76. I’m sure there are others in this boat that bought right before the huge drop in price.

When I placed the order 10/22 the price had just jumped up 10k and was told price would be consistently trending upward. I doubt this was said with any malice, however it would be v weak if they were aware they were going to drop msrp like they just did back when they were pitching me the opposite. I love the car but mildly tilted that I bought at literally the top.

Any way at all to claw some of this back haha ? I did finance the difference from my trade in with my bank however they couldn’t roll over my prior rate since it was way under what prime had become. Another spot where I got the worst of it with this buy.

I would still choose this car as im balls deep for ev‘s now and end of the day the $ isn’t why I’m tilted it’s for sure feeling like I got rinsed that I care about. This sounds retarded and highly unlikely but this Is what I’m thinking.. Approach bank and try to Hail Mary something akin to a reverse refi..

How are you guys that are in the same boat as me coping with this ? This post was obviously more or less a rant as there is no shot at all at retroactively getting the better price. I also doubt theres a way to write off the loss lol , but if anyone has any ideas lmk, even if they’re as asinine as mine.

If not selling it does not matter. Most cars most of the time are a depreciating asset. Values drop often a lot when we drive off the lot. The tax credit while great for EV growth means all EVs basically are either $7500 less, more so with Tesla as they also dropped prices to boot.

Life does not have any guarantees. Sometimes, a retailer or manufacturer will offer a retroactive discount within a small window, but Tesla did not. There is always somebody out when a manufacturer cuts prices.

I have not read any stories of Tesla giving a retroactive discount 2 months after purchase. I think you are in the place of enjoying the car for what it is and not worrying about what could have been.

I locked in the Performance Model Y at the $56,990 price the day the IRS announced the higher tax credit cap. I almost considered just waiting for a refreshed Model Y because I felt the Performance Model Y was the best value for only a few thousand more, but before that day it wasn't eligible for tax credit and the tesla employees were stressing it very hard that it would not work and my only option was to be under $55k for the base Model Y.

But now there is a refreshed Model Y coming, under project Juniper. Which was my plan originally but I changed my mind since I was able to get the Performance Model Y with tax credit.

I don't want to back out of my deal now because I felt getting $13,000 off a brand new car is a good deal. I just kept seeing "huge discounts" all over Tesla related news and tax credit. But if price wasn't an issue, I was gonna try wait it out for a refresh or remodeled Model Y. But I felt it can be a risk that maybe the discounts we have now may not be there anymore and no guarantee for tax credits. They said production will begin around Oct 2024, but what does that mean begin production?

Would you take the current guaranteed massive discount & tax credit for a new Model Y that will be replaced pretty soon? Or would you wait around for the refreshed Model Y? Can we speculate if the price will be the same as it is now or will it go back to around $69k for a Performance Model Y?

I took delivery in June. Price was $63,990 + $12,000 for FSD.

The current price is $1,000 less then what I paid. Mostly due to the fact that MSM is now $1,000 extra and FSD is now 15k. When they were 56k it was $3,000 less.

I agreed to pay what I paid and so I will continue to drive and enjoy the car. The market can and will change more in the future. Trying to time the market will be a lesson in frustration.

Not worth worrying about really. Continue to drive and enjoy the car.

when is pricing "locked in"? Is it at delivery? Is there any wiggle room to negotiate at a point if they drop price after you've made the initial reservation, and before you take delivery?

And do you think there will be another price cut in March once the tax incentives end?

Last edited:
If the price drops after you make your reservation, you automatically get the new lower price.
Exactly what happened mid December when Tesla offered a $3,750 discount. If you ordered before the discount and took delivery after the discount announcement the price and tax on it was reduced $3,750. If you had already paid before price discount Tesla refunded the $3,750 plus tax later.

Loss aversion. Which usually results in larger losses. They are hoping for that stupid buyer to walk into the showroom, but at some point it dawns on them that the car is worth less day by day because of the floor plan expenses. So they ship it to auction where it won't sell but racks up more expenses.
Dealers have long played this game. I remember nearly 30 years ago having a dealer pretend I was the unreasonable one for wanting a Toy Truck 4x4 with 6k miles on it for less than the price my mother paid for a similar new model 3 weeks earlier. She paid 18.3, they wanted 20+. And would not budge. I guess they figure eventually some idiot kid will just pay it. I have friends (or friends of friends) well past middle age still doing stupid purchases like this, so they may well be right.

The next day, I went to another Toyota dealership that did the no hassle 'fleet' pricing model and got the same 18.3 price she did, and closed 4 days later. (had to fetch it from 100 miles away)

Wondering if tesla will raise all prices after tonight since today is last day for fed discount. I am thinking there might be a 500 to 1000$ bump
Tax credit rules change April 18th as per today's guidance. Model Y will continue to qualify for full $7500 credit at least till the end of 2023.

I think Tesla will keep creeping the price back up slowly but surely until supply outstrips demand like it did in Nov-Dec.

Reactions: WyoDude
Tax credit rules change April 18th as per today's guidance. Model Y will continue to qualify for full $7500 credit at least till the end of 2023.

I think Tesla will keep creeping the price back up slowly but surely until supply outstrips demand like it did in Nov-Dec.
There is no concrete guaranty until the critical mineral sourcing guidelines are released on 4/17 to my knowledge

Last edited:
There is no concrete guaranty until the critical mineral sourcing guidelines are released on 4/17 to my knowledge

True but the fact that Tesla changed the wording on the site today and only makes note of the M3RWD with LFP losing the credit now, is telling that they know the MY will qualify. I'm sure Tesla (and all the car manufacturers) now know what the 4/17 guidelines are as they will be letting the IRS know over the next 2 weeks if their batteries qualify so the IRS can publish the guidelines and the list of cars on 4/17.