Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree - anyone that bought a big ticket item in mid-21 to late 22 definitely paid top $$$ or the dreaded "market adjustment crap" which includes (Houses, cars, boats, motorcycles, RV's and etc). Those days of FOMO, super low interest rates and free money are done and way behind us now.
+1 except houses in our area are still high w/ super high interest rates (maybe down 1-2%)

hmm why do you think so, no ARMS this time. You should see the amount of docs I had to submit for a 50% LTV loan
It was not the adjustable rate mortgages that really did it... it was all the derivatives and mark to market accounting.

We already have more major bank blowups that happened this year... than we did during housing crisis... the party is just getting started.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
Housing prices depend on location. Here people are still offering 300k over asking/zestimate and paying in cash for a fixer upper. Hard to compete with them.

If you purchased a popular car in '2022, you knew you were overpaying. Whether it was to the dealer markup or manufacturer mark up, it didn't matter. You knew it was overpriced and still bought it. Can't blame that on Tesla.

Cars aren’t investments unless they’re collectible, which is kind of the opposite of mass market. I had a VW Beetle Diesel convertible, VW got caught and had to buy it back from us for sticker plus a penalty. My wife loved that car but we couldn’t be smug liberals driving around in a VW that was secretly rolling coal. Plus a convertible in Michigan (where we moved from California)? Not too useful.

Ok let’s put that VW $$$ in the bank and buy a Tesla when the model 3 comes out. Did so for $37k (minus $3750 tax credit at that point in 2019), realized that RWD is not optimal in Michigan, resigned to keep it… but then used Tesla prices went absolutely through the roof in 2022.

Sold the M3SR for $45k after placing an order for an LR at $51k; in some sense the AWD paid for itself (burned another $2k on acceleration boost, so let’s call it even). Is it worth less now? For sure. Do I care? Well, I used to always buy cars used, so someone else could eat the depreciation. There weren’t any used Tesla M3LRs for a sane price in 2022, and I wouldn’t even have been able to buy a new one until last week if I’d put in my order a few months later. So, nah. It’s been our only car for a year now, and none of us regret it enough to care.

Maybe I should be sad about Tesla cutting prices, but I’m happy more people have the option to drive one. I dislike driving most all non-Teslas now (e.g. the Bolt was a tin can or as my wife said “a shitbox”; even my beloved Toyota Tacoma pickup truck now has way too much crap to fiddle with in recent model years). Plus with my daughter learning to drive, I REALLY appreciate the safety features, doubly so when I am her passenger!

There was a moment in time where the only people in Michigan who had Teslas were those willing to go out of state to retrieve them. Mobile service was great; Tony the Tesla Tech is now a retired multimillionaire from his stock options. Things change. Service isn’t quite as awesome although the cars are quieter, faster, and easier to find parts for. But regardless it’s been a fun few years.

I hope my friends with Tesla stock sold it at the peak and retired. Tesla made a lot of regular people into multimillionaires. I don’t know what’s going to happen with their belt tightening. Most products in this world get cheaper, plastickier, and better as time goes by. That said, this is my favorite car of any I’ve ever owned, and it’ll be paid off in a couple months. Not planning on selling it, perhaps ever. I drove my old Volvo into the ground and I’ll probably do the same to the M3LR. 🤷‍♂️

It was not the adjustable rate mortgages that really did it... it was all the derivatives and mark to market accounting.

We already have more major bank blowups that happened this year... than we did during housing crisis... the party is just getting started.

or the fed will return the punch bowl soon. You might be right, time will tell.

hmm why do you think so, no ARMS this time. You should see the amount of docs I had to submit for a 50% LTV loan

yeah, 2008 housing bubble won't happen again barring a major economic collapse....2008 was the result of bad banks giving out bad loans and scamming Taco Bell workers with ARM's in to buying houses they had no business buying. It might drop 5-10% in the next year or two, but nothing like what we saw in 2008.

Reactions: vickh
yeah, 2008 housing bubble won't happen again barring a major economic collapse....2008 was the result of bad banks giving out bad loans and scamming Taco Bell workers with ARM's in to buying houses they had no business buying. It might drop 5-10% in the next year or two, but nothing like what we saw in 2008.
$400K mortgage to someone making $25K/year? What could go wrong? We collect X years “rent”, then the rate adjusts, we get the house back and it goes on the market to the next sucker- umm, buyer.

$400K mortgage to someone making $25K/year? What could go wrong? We collect X years “rent”, then the rate adjusts, we get the house back and it goes on the market to the next sucker- umm, buyer.

Except they strip the house while they still "own' it and no one can stop them. Then neighborhood comps drop and the banksters sell the mortgage to tax payer backed corps.

It's been a few weeks since the last major price reduction. Where do you guys think prices go from here? Should be interesting with all the debt ceiling talks. The republicans are trying to take away the EV credits, among other things, from the Inflation Reduction Act...

Did Tesla sneak in another price reduction through discounts ?

1684802776816.png

Did Tesla sneak in another price reduction through discounts ?

View attachment 940243
there have actually been two price cuts on inventory cars.

The first cut, was rather they kept inventory car prices the same, while raising build to order by $250. And about a week ago, they dropped them by an additional $750 or so, so now the inventory Model 3s are a bit over $1,000 cheaper than built to order.

Reactions: T4M3 and pipestem
It's been a few weeks since the last major price reduction. Where do you guys think prices go from here? Should be interesting with all the debt ceiling talks. The republicans are trying to take away the EV credits, among other things, from the Inflation Reduction Act...

Prices probably stays the same when they release the new highland M3, then it will go up when the demand is strong... I do expect them to discount leftover inventories of the old design.

The large round of discounts that put the M3P in "$7500 tax credit" territory definitely helped push me over the fence. I'd been debating getting one for months... Ended up selling my old car for what I paid for it years ago and clicked "order". Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks before I can pick it up.

When its all said and done, it was basically a $24k upgrade from a 6yr old Prius Prime to a new M3P.

Reactions: pipestem and TimTam
Cars aren’t investments unless they’re collectible, which is kind of the opposite of mass market. I had a VW Beetle Diesel convertible, VW got caught and had to buy it back from us for sticker plus a penalty. My wife loved that car but we couldn’t be smug liberals driving around in a VW that was secretly rolling coal. Plus a convertible in Michigan (where we moved from California)? Not too useful.

Ok let’s put that VW $$$ in the bank and buy a Tesla when the model 3 comes out. Did so for $37k (minus $3750 tax credit at that point in 2019), realized that RWD is not optimal in Michigan, resigned to keep it… but then used Tesla prices went absolutely through the roof in 2022.

Sold the M3SR for $45k after placing an order for an LR at $51k; in some sense the AWD paid for itself (burned another $2k on acceleration boost, so let’s call it even). Is it worth less now? For sure. Do I care? Well, I used to always buy cars used, so someone else could eat the depreciation. There weren’t any used Tesla M3LRs for a sane price in 2022, and I wouldn’t even have been able to buy a new one until last week if I’d put in my order a few months later. So, nah. It’s been our only car for a year now, and none of us regret it enough to care.

Maybe I should be sad about Tesla cutting prices, but I’m happy more people have the option to drive one. I dislike driving most all non-Teslas now (e.g. the Bolt was a tin can or as my wife said “a shitbox”; even my beloved Toyota Tacoma pickup truck now has way too much crap to fiddle with in recent model years). Plus with my daughter learning to drive, I REALLY appreciate the safety features, doubly so when I am her passenger!

There was a moment in time where the only people in Michigan who had Teslas were those willing to go out of state to retrieve them. Mobile service was great; Tony the Tesla Tech is now a retired multimillionaire from his stock options. Things change. Service isn’t quite as awesome although the cars are quieter, faster, and easier to find parts for. But regardless it’s been a fun few years.

I hope my friends with Tesla stock sold it at the peak and retired. Tesla made a lot of regular people into multimillionaires. I don’t know what’s going to happen with their belt tightening. Most products in this world get cheaper, plastickier, and better as time goes by. That said, this is my favorite car of any I’ve ever owned, and it’ll be paid off in a couple months. Not planning on selling it, perhaps ever. I drove my old Volvo into the ground and I’ll probably do the same to the M3LR. 🤷‍♂️

Why would you be upset? The math says you made 11K on the sale of your SR and if there was a LR being sold new today it probably would be around 46K considering the price point of the RWD & Performance. So at most you overpaid by 6K for your LR which means you'd still be winning off the sale of your SR by 5K. Congrats!!

I sold my 2020 M3P in 2021 for just over what I paid for it including all accessories like tint, carbon fiber clip ons etc and laughed all the way home that I broke even and got to enjoy it for 8000 miles. Then 2022 rolled up and I realized I lost the opportunity to make an easy 11K like you LOL I wasn't mad and certainly the opportunity to have used an M3P for 8000 miles essentially for free is still a win.

Since I had another vehicle I waited out the ridiculous pandemic pricing and now prices is back to what I paid in late 2019, maybe about ~$500 cheaper I think. With Highland just 3 to 5 months away I can't understand why anyone would buy an M3 at current prices with the rumored upgrade to be a substantial. I have no plans to buy FSD so I'd pick up a 2023 if Elon dropped the price of the performance model another 5K before end of July, after that I'd just wait for Highland which I anticipate will arrive by November. Tesla's are all about tech, not build quality or luxury materials so I figure Highland will cause at least 5K of value depreciation on top of regular depreciation.

Reactions: TimTam
And we just got ANOTHER inventory price drop... another $1,200 off on Model 3 inventory cars.
and it put me over the edge and just placed order on an inventory Model 3 Midnight silver with black interior... $38,750 plus destination... $2,470 discount off of sticker.)

Reactions: Dayreg