Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried doing that, it felt like I was about make a dent
You will see the aluminum bend so you have to be careful but that is the correct technique to close. I push right on top of the Tesla badge. No slamming involved, slowly lower and then ideally two handed push on either side of the badge to gently close without any permanent deformation of the hood.

Reactions: geekfam
You will see the aluminum bend so you have to be careful but that is the correct technique to close. I push right on top of the Tesla badge. No slamming involved, slowly lower and then ideally two handed push on either side of the badge to gently close without any permanent deformation of the hood.
This is a prime example of why I would buy one of those goofy aftermarket powered struts.

Maybe an incremental upgrade would be to put (weld) a piece of metal or even plastic just behind the Tesla emblem so you can push on it to secure the latch (still after “gently” lowering it).

I tried doing that, it felt like I was about make a dent
I had the same issue- and an open frunk and that was making it pretty hard for me to take delivery no matter how badly I wanted the car. So the SA came out, palms down, hands a bit more than shoulder width apart with fingers pointing outward, then pressed down with not an overly seeming amount of force and it closed on her first try LOL. I was doing it just right on either side of the Tesla emblem like the instructions say and it would not close. So try moving your hands farther apart. I do think it should probably be adjusted but didn’t want to prevent me taking delivery so I just have left it closed. Haven’t opened it since 🙃

Thanks for the insights. Do you mean to do a good job, they would have to take the panels apart to cover the edge? It seems quite some work for DIY then. I am struggling on deciding it. Material costs around $1k for full front. A professional service costs around $2k. Not sure if DIY is a good idea though. How difficult could it be to install a film?
Yes. The way we did it was to disassemble the front bumper and headlights if it’s just a full front PPF package. Then we would cut the PPF given the dimensions by Xpel but we would extend the edges by an extra inch or 2 so we can fully wrap it around each panel. The goal is to apply the film as much of the car as possible while not making it easily visible there is even a film on it unless you knew what to look for. As “seamless” as possible.

This will be my last response in regards to PPF questions. If there’s another thread I’ll reply to that

As someone who used to be in the automotive styling industry, let me give some insight on PPF and ceramic coating. Just to give some context I’m in SoCal and have been out of the business for 2 years now but still have plenty of friends in the business that I talk to frequently.

Over 50% of our clients were Tesla owners. The most popular package that we sold was a full front PPF (front bumper, hood, front fenders, headlights, fog lights, mirror caps, trunk lip) and ceramic coat the rest of the car (also did chrome deletes before they changed to black trim). Just the front end PPF was just over $2k that we charged. I would suspect anything over $1500 is normal for a full front. Anything less than that I would second guess the qualify of work you’re getting. Also if they’re pre cut kits and they don’t wrap around the edges and don’t require any disassembly that would be significantly cheaper and faster for the installer but you would see dirt accumulate around the corners and edges very quickly. Also lifting on those spots was common. As a for profit business we have to cover our overhead so we need to charge a fair amount that keeps us profitable. If you find someone that works out of their own garage that may be the most cost effective way but I sure hope he has experience.

Point about ceramic coating a lot of people don’t take into consideration is the paint correct step before applying the coating. Applying coating is very simple and straightforward but even a brand new car from any manufacturer will have paint defects. If you don’t paint correct before applying the coating then whatever imperfection (swirls, scratches, damages, etc.) will be embedded in the coating. Later on it would require having to remove the coating to get to those imperfections and make the whole process a lot more costly and risky. Most of the cost will be the paint correction process. Pricing for this also varies the most between shops but be sure to ask about whether or not they will do a paint correction before applying the coating.

Ceramic coating on top of PPF is nice but not necessary IMO. It does make the car easier to clean and theoretically would prolong the life of the PPF from yellowing but I have yet to see a car with it on long enough to definitely say how much more life you will get.

Maintenance is key for anything you do, whether it’s PPF, ceramic coating or vinyl wrapping. A car that is garaged and not directly in the sun will last significantly longer than one that is. If you live by the ocean that will degrade the material much faster as well. Cleaning the car regularly is a big emphasis on maintaining all the work you paid to have done. Most PPF films have a 10 year warranty but be mindful when you remove it it may peel the paint off. Tesla doesn’t have the best quality of paint so I wouldn’t recommend keeping the film on that long. Maybe replace it every 5-7 years depending how much damage it has suffered.
In your professional opinion, is it worth bothering with PPF for Tesla, especially given your suspicions that PPF removal might anyhow damage the underlying paint.