Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WoooHoooo!! Congrats. I think you will Love it. I was surprised that the MYP rides as well as it does and the steering is like a lazer. It turns flat and fast.

I couldn't help myself and did some night driving with the MYP as well. This thing has Outstanding headlights. The matrix light show was fun as well.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the positive vibes that you directed my way!

It's great to hear that you're enjoying yours so much!

Annoyed. I was supposed to pick up my MY on Sunday, but it hasn't arrived to my SC yet, even though it left Austin nearly 2 weeks ago. No idea when my car will arrive now. Could be a day, could be a week... apparently Tesla can't tell me where it is.

Anyone else run into this?

• Informative
Reactions: BailMY
Annoyed. I was supposed to pick up my MY on Sunday, but it hasn't arrived to my SC yet, even though it left Austin nearly 2 weeks ago. No idea when my car will arrive now. Could be a day, could be a week... apparently Tesla can't tell me where it is.

Anyone else run into this?
Mine took 11 days to arrive from Austin (build date to Long Beach), that was a little faster than most that I've seen here, seems 2 weeks is about the time it takes, hope you get good news and its just a day or two late.

OD 2/3 MYLR 19 Black/B&W
EDD 4/17-5/29 🤦‍♂️
GA delivery

Found same spec (in OH) on 2/26.
Couldn’t register in my state but placed order anyway.
Price by this point had gone up $1500
And added $1000 transport fee.
And interest rates went up.
But EDD was great: 3/11-3/17.

I know there have been mixed stories about whether Tesla will honor the earlier/lower price with same spec inventory. Mostly been hearing not gonna fly. And that was my initial experience with two national service reps who basically said tough luck if you want this car earlier pay the freight, otherwise wait and take the original order.

But I decided to proceed with the inventory car to get this in the hands of a local service rep who reached out last week anf said no problem. Matched up the prior order with this VIN, and delivery later today at the lower price, lower % rate, and cancelled out the additional transport fee. I was gobsmacked.

I know others are in this same situation. And it’s been said here that Tesla is no longer allowing this type of VIN swapping to assist their customers. Buy I would advise persistence. Evidence here there really isn’t a hard line “No” from the top on this. Just keep working the angle and hope you’ve landed with the right SA.

Last edited:
How is that even happening unless your new EDD is actually a foreshadowing of whats going to happen to those of us in NJ who ordered later. My EDD is still the same but now am beginning to wonder if it will shift again - it's nearly the same 2 week EDD I had right after placing the order and that then jumped to April-May.. 🤔
What's weird is I had EDD dates in March then in Feb they pushed to Q2 and again a week go they pulled it back in March and now back to Q2.

If Musk thinks he runs the best car company in the world then he needs to first figure out these dates...:)

Not even two months, yet. Plus I suspect the backlog is slowly shrinking since they raised the prices again.
One can only hope. The reality is I will probably be one of those who has to deal with the aftermath of the rebate revisions. What seems even more odd is most here in my time frames are in a March delivery or already have cars with several even pulled from April/May back to March. Many of these people living not far from me.
When I ordered the car I felt much more confident about delivery in the pre revision window. Now, it looks very slim.

I don't know how Tesla makes these cars in different production runs. The way I imagine it to work is they run one line to red, one line to blue, one to white and so forth, then the cars all merge back into main assembly, so it isn't as if they can ONLY make one color at a time. Same with performance motors. They just grab them from the performance motor pile and bolt it to the chassis.

Upgraded wheels are no harder to put on than the19"wheels. A tow hitch is installed with an impact setup before they put the rear plastic bumper on. Probably takes less than a minute in the factory, so if we have a considerably larger collection of orders for one type of car they are still making those cars, just painting more of them white as a percentage of the whole.

Can anyone comment who knows more about it?

Transportation is a big factor, either by truck or rail. I don't see that adding more than an extra few days to deliveries.

What's weird is I had EDD dates in March then in Feb they pushed to Q2 and again a week go they pulled it back in March and now back to Q2.

If Musk thinks he runs the best car company in the world then he needs to first figure out these dates...:)
The "ordering process" was indeed quite easy and based on others experiences the pickup is usually great too. The waiting process sucks however made worse by constantly shifting EDDs with no explanation and then suddenly a non-negotiable 3 day delivery window unless taking delivery earlier. Hard to make plans when things shift around so much. I have a basement corner full of Tesla stuff just waiting - some are now past the return point. This is NOT a good customer experience and demonstrates that the Tesla Team and Tesla Os needs a lot more work on the customer facing delivery side of things. Very typical Silicon Valley attitude.

Well.. good question.. I've run these scenarios in my mind several times. I'm almost certain we will get at least half the tax credit. If it comes to that, I will have to run by my options. Do I purchase the car with half the credit? Will Tesla make any adjustment to offset the difference? Tesla comes only late in the game if you reject a VIN and keep your order on hold (as a friend of mine did in Dec 2022). Do I look for another vehicle and forfeit the 250? I will have to weigh one option against the other. Come what may, I've made up my mind on not giving a penny extra to Tesla by upgrading wheels or using accelerated delivery without a price match. For one, I'm paying cash and secondly, it would be like a compulsive purchase, which I wouldn't be able to do so happily.

My amount including shipping fee, and PA taxes was 57,777.27 so the tax break is essentially just saving me most of the taxes and fees already added to the car if I get the full amount.

My state offers a rebate that would also help. It's not as significant as the Oregon and CA. rebates. A few thousand I think, but I'll take anything I can get. I do my own taxes but don't recall my total 21/22 state tax. Depending on your state, some different things could be happening there if the rebate exceeds pay in. I usually get a very small refund like under 20.00. Almost not worth the trouble. Still better than a liability.

Gas prices in my area are nowhere near what they are out on the WC. Not low either, so when running the numbers considering the real possibility that EVS will be taxed more in the future in addition to higher insurance rates you have to weigh all of that and compare to ICE unless you think buying a Tesla is saving the environment and are willing to spend more. Tesla just raised Super charger prices. Since they have the upper hand on charging infrastructure this might be a consideration if electric rates climb. Over time good hybrids offer less of a carbon footprint than full EV and no charging station/grid concerns. A hybrid that offers 30-50 miles range on full electric power is a more stable bet IMHO, but I wanted to try an EV and see what all of the hype was about.

I don't write my cars off to a business., so a Tesla is a big cash vaccum for me. Probably can't justify the numbers, but people don't often buy cars only looking at the numbers. I seen Honda just lowered their prices on the Pilot so I could get a fully loaded Honda Pilot in the same price range as the MY. The car biz is hurting right now with many closing shutters. Still several strong players coming to the top. Ford dealers are destroying the truck adding 32K to MSRP. Similar with some GM dealerships. Not convinced there will be anything past a 40% adoption by 2030 unless EVs are the only cars we can buy.

Tesla: we want to give customers stress free car buying experience.

Me: oh I already had more stress and anxiety than all the previous cars I bought combined 🙃
Every new car, except my last Tesla, required trips to multiple dealers to find best price and not feeling like I’m being screwed. Then minimum of 2-3 hours in the showroom waiting, negotiating, waiting, more negotiating and more waiting. Those were some of the most stressful days I’ve put in.
OTOH, I go online pick my model and config, pay $250 and presto I’ve ordered a new car. Everyone pays the same price on any given day. No bargaining, no waiting, no bullish!t.
Couldn’t be easier.

The "ordering process" was indeed quite easy and based on others experiences the pickup is usually great too. The waiting process sucks however made worse by constantly shifting EDDs with no explanation and then suddenly a non-negotiable 3 day delivery window unless taking delivery earlier. Hard to make plans when things shift around so much. I have a basement corner full of Tesla stuff just waiting - some are now past the return point. This is NOT a good customer experience and demonstrates that the Tesla Team and Tesla Os needs a lot more work on the customer facing delivery side of things. Very typical Silicon Valley attitude.

While I realize that Tesla does things differently than other higher end manufacturers they could at least give the customer updates as to when a particular batch with the same config is being produced and earmarked for a location and what the progress is, also if something changes. Being open about the process would go a long way toward inspiring confidence and engendering good will in the face of longer delays.

Every new car, except my last Tesla, required trips to multiple dealers to find best price and not feeling like I’m being screwed. Then minimum of 2-3 hours in the showroom waiting, negotiating, waiting, more negotiating and more waiting. Those were some of the most stressful days I’ve put in.
OTOH, I go online pick my model and config, pay $250 and presto I’ve ordered a new car. Everyone pays the same price on any given day. No bargaining, no waiting, no bullish!t.
Couldn’t be easier.
I don't think people are upset about the ordering experience, that was certainly great - we ordered at the showroom but basically same process. Years ago bought a Saturn and while not online was definitely similar - no haggle, easy peasy.

The issue is customer handling between the order and delivery. These are not inexpensive cars and we all have to make plans (financial, infrastructure, trip scheduling) around taking delivery but the lack of good, regular information screws this up. Jerking us around with shifting EDDs is not helpful if there is no explanation.

There is also some chance of a 30 to 60 day notice before the new regulations take effect as suggested by Troy Teslike, poster of the order tracking spreadsheet and known Tesla guru.

I expect the tax credit for the Model 3 Standard Range to drop from $7,500 to zero for deliveries after a certain date in April or May 2023 because the Model 3 SR in North America uses battery packs from China. Giga Shanghai imports the LFP cells from CATL in China, turns them into battery packs, and ships them to Fremont. The IRS will release more details about battery requirements by the end of this month and then Tesla will look at these and announce which model and trim level qualifies for how much tax credit.

A 30 or 60-day transition period is typical after the IRS releases the requirements. For example, if they release the requirements on March 25th and there is a 30-day transition period, Model 3 SR would still continue to qualify for $7,500 tax credit for deliveries until April 24. Tesla will announce the exact date. They need to show this on the website.

The battery from China contradicts requirements #2 and #3 explained in the Inflation Reduction Act:
  1. The car must be built in North America
  2. Battery modules and battery packs must be built in North America. This is worth $3,750.
  3. In terms of value, 40% of the critical minerals in the battery must originate from the US or a country that has a free trade agreement with the US. This is worth another $3,750.
Some people suggested that CATL in China might be importing lithium from Australia and therefore there is a chance Model 3 SR could still get $3,750. I don't think this is likely but we should find out soon.

Normally, the Model 3 SR should not have qualified for $7,500 but the IRS was supposed to release guidance on battery requirements by the end of 2022 and they didn't. They postponed that to the end of March 2023. Therefore all car manufacturers got a pass on those requirements until the guidance is released. Plus they will most likely get a 30 or 60-day transition period.

Quote: "Treasury and the IRS intend to issue proposed guidance on the critical mineral and battery component requirements in March 2023" Source: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/30DWhite-Paper.pdf

None of this affects Model Y in any way. Model Y at Fremont and Giga Texas use 2170 cells and packs from Giga Nevada. Giga Texas also uses 4680 cells from the Fremont Kato Road pilot plant. I expect the $7,500 tax credit to continue for all Model Y versions for the foreseeable future. The tax credit is expected to continue until the end of 2032 unless they change it.

I expect the tax credit for the Model 3 Standard Range to drop from $7,500 to zero for deliveries after a certain date in April or May 2023 because the Model 3 SR in North America uses battery packs from China. Giga Shanghai imports the LFP cells from CATL in China, turns them into battery packs, and ships them to Fremont. The IRS will release more details about battery requirements by the end of this month and then Tesla will look at these and announce which model and trim level qualifies for how much tax credit.

A 30 or 60-day transition period is typical after the IRS releases the requirements. For example, if they release the requirements on March 25th and there is a 30-day transition period, Model 3 SR would still continue to qualify for $7,500 tax credit for deliveries until April 24. Tesla will announce the exact date. They need to show this on the website.

The battery from China contradicts requirements #2 and #3 explained in the Inflation Reduction Act:
  2. Battery modules and battery packs must be built in North America. This is worth $3,750.
  3. In terms of value, 40% of the critical minerals in the battery must originate from the US or a country that has a free trade agreement with the US. This is worth another $3,750.
Some people suggested that CATL in China might be importing lithium from Australia and therefore there is a chance Model 3 SR could still get $3,750. I don't think this is likely but we should find out soon.

Normally, the Model 3 SR should not have qualified for $7,500 but the IRS was supposed to release guidance on battery requirements by the end of 2022 and they didn't. They postponed that to the end of March 2023. Therefore all car manufacturers got a pass on those requirements until the guidance is released. Plus they will most likely get a 30 or 60-day transition period.

None of this affects Model Y in any way. Model Y at Fremont and Giga Texas use 2170 cells and packs from Giga Nevada. Giga Texas also uses 4680 cells from the Fremont Kato Road pilot plant. I expect the $7,500 tax credit to continue for all Model Y versions for the foreseeable future. The tax credit is expected to continue until the end of 2032 unless they change it.
Kind of offtopic but thanks again for all your hard work on collecting data and providing analysis etc.. very informative and helpful.

Thanks Troy for great summary.
Agree with you on most of the part.
For M3 SR, it should qualify for half.
Reasons are:
IRA rule for battery mineral is flexible. When one battery mineral like lithium either mined in Or processed in one US FTZ country, it will be counted. For lithium it self, Australia is dominate the mine industry so the M3SR should be good for this half.
That's also reasons for GM announced their EVs also qualify for half credit.

Reactions: erktrek

Thanks for much for this!

And this is why it's very important for people to do their diligent research instead of cancelling their MY order due to emotions and FOMO related to the federal tax credit. 🙂

We can only speculate based on facts, trends, and the information available but that's honestly the best we can do.

Reactions: erktrek