Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I was waiting for VIN to be assigned (EDD : 2/4 - 2/18), I kept checking my local inventory and this evening I saw one 7 Seater white on white pop up in the inventory. It's a PF vin.

I immediately worked with my agent to purchase that and aligned with him to cancel my current order once I pick the local one this week..

Do keep an eye on your local tesla inventory. You may just get lucky.
Great! Will you lose the $250 order fee on the custom order?

That isn’t what the bill says? Is it? I thought processing year only referred to
I am not qualified for the Federal Tax Credit due to gross income limitation :(
make sure you are looking at AGI (adjusted Gross income). You can get your AGI down by putting more into you 401k. And remember you need to owe $7500k in taxes if you want the whole thing.

Living in Fort Worth, TX
OD: 1/25
Build: White/White/19/5 No Tow
EDD: January - March
Still no VIN, compared to seeing others further away from plants getting it in a couple of days. Not sure why it would take this long when I would assume it's coming from Austin and I am only a few hours away.
Update

EDD: March 23-31

No VIN. Time to hunker down and have patience. The anticipation is killing me

Would you mind clarifying "you need to owe $7,500 in taxes if you want the whole thing"? If I owe Fed less than $7,500 in 2021, and maybe for 2022 when I do my taxes, I won't get the full $7,500? So, I should then adjust my withholdings for 2023 and apply for the 7,500 tax credit next year?

Basically the total tax you owe minus the tax withholding a throughout the year needs to be at least 7.5k to claim the full credit.

Example, you make 200k and owe 25% tax which is 50k. Throughout the year you had federal withholding add up to 40k, so now you owe 10k (50k minus 10k). If you qualify for this credit, you now owe 2.5k (10k minus 7.5k).

The unfavorable way this turns out is your federal withholdings add up 50k, at which point there is no tax owed for the credit to offset. You will not get a refund for 7.5k since it’s a non-refundable credit.

So you should really change your withholding to where you will owe at least 7.5k to claim the full credit. Use your w-4 form to update your witholdings
I don’t believe that’s the way it works. A tax credit comes off your total federal tax liability for the year. It’s not based on what you owe or what your potential refund might be at the end of the year.

I don’t believe that’s the way it works. A tax credit comes off your total federal tax liability for the year. It’s not based on what you owe or what your potential refund might be at the end of the year.
Hope that’s true because when I was looking into it I read that the credit is nonrefundable; it can lower your tax bill to zero, but it won’t result in a refund.

Hope that’s true because when I was looking into it I read that the credit is nonrefundable; it can lower your tax bill to zero, but it won’t result in a refund.
That is true.
Here’s an example. You made $100k and $25k was withheld for the feds. Your tax guy does your taxes and determines that your tax liability is $26k, and you still owe the feds $1000 at the end of the year. Now, because you bought a qualifying EV, not only do you not have to pay that $1000, you’ll get a $6500 refund instead.

Another example. You made $40k and the feds withheld $5000. Your tax guy determines your tax liability is $2k, so you should get $3000 back. Your EV purchase in this case gets you $5k back instead.

Please consult with your tax expert to verify.

Last edited:
This is my understanding too, and I thought it makes sense than another scenario. The wouldn't discourage to have more withholding which benefits the government. Can any one with tax knowledge comment?

Reactions: bdhaduk
That is true.
Here’s an example. You made $100k and $25k was withheld for the feds. Your tax guy does your taxes and determines that you still owe the feds $1000 at the end of the year. Now, because you bought a qualifying EV, not only do you not have to pay that $1000, you’ll get a $6500 refund instead.
That wouldn’t happen with a non-refundable credit