Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure about the 100% charging recommendation? I thought that was only for the LFP batteries that are in M3 SR RWD and MY SR RWD (overseas only). I thought that the 4680 was still the same chemistry as 2170 just in smaller packaging per cell.

EDIT: Just checked the MY manual and the only recommendation for charging % I can find in the manual is that LFP batteries (4680 is not LFP) should be charged to 100% once a week. They actually have no mention of an 80% recommendation for charging in general. At least none I could find in the charging section of the user manual. I realize this has been common knowledge and probably was in the manuals at some point...I'm surprised I can't find it in there anywhere.
This is helpful! Yes, the charge to 100% daily only applies to the LFPs not 2170s and 4680s.

This is helpful! Yes, the charge to 100% daily only applies to the LFPs not 2170s and 4680s.
I would jump at a LFP variant over a NCA battery. Positive of LFP is lot less degradation versus a NCA, much more cycles, and you can charge 100%. The negative against a LFP is the capacity is less than a NCA. This means you need more cells which adds weight to car plus 0-60 speed is slower. And, cold really affects the LFP.

Last edited:
Reactions: scionbox
Do you think it’s still worth it if the credit changed to $3,750? I’ve come to terms that it is and ready for that possibility. Not sure how I feel if the entire $7,500 goes away, though lol
It's a coin toss for sure. a $55,000 car worrying about $3750 when it's already down from $67,000. My struggle is that I dont really NEED a new vehicle. A Tesla has always been a WANT for me. This MYLR will end up replacing my 2011 Toyota Sienna with 190k miles. It has a tow package and I ordered the MYLR AFTER the $500 increase. so no tow for me unless added afterwards. Also going from an 8 seater van to a 5 seater crossover SUV with a family of 3 teenagers. Just thoughts that keep me second guessing my splurge purchase. Nobody is saying I must sell the Van. It's only worth $5k and can be my family hauler, boat towing, Lowe's run vehicle until the kids move out or whatever.

It's a coin toss for sure. a $55,000 car worrying about $3750 when it's already down from $67,000. My struggle is that I dont really NEED a new vehicle. A Tesla has always been a WANT for me. This MYLR will end up replacing my 2011 Toyota Sienna with 190k miles. It has a tow package and I ordered the MYLR AFTER the $500 increase. so no tow for me unless added afterwards. Also going from an 8 seater van to a 5 seater crossover SUV with a family of 3 teenagers. Just thoughts that keep me second guessing my splurge purchase. Nobody is saying I must sell the Van. It's only worth $5k and can be my family hauler, boat towing, Lowe's run vehicle until the kids move out or whatever.
Your logic sounds like mine before purchasing my first EV. Not meaning to be overly dramatic, my experience to purchase my this EV was, well, life changing. It sounds silly, but I found tremendous satisfaction and peace of mind in not filling up a a gas station every week and never having to get an oil change (or the many, many other maintenance and service issues needed with an ICE vehicle). Also, the driving characteristics of an EV--quiet, smooth, quick acceleration--bring a smile nearly every day. So, for me, the decision to purchase the MYLR was a no-brainer, with the price drop and federal tax credit.

The only issue I have had to deal with (really not meaning to open a can of worms here!) is that my adult children felt the my purchase decision was a token of support for he-who-will-not-be-mentioned. I have managed to talk them down using rational, rather than emotional, points of EVs and climate change and the engineering marvel of Tesla vehicles.

So, GigaMike, purchase the Tesla. You will not regret it.

UPDATE:

Located: Northern Virginia
MYLR White/Black, 20's
OD: 1/15 (Originally thought 1/14 but apparently it was after midnight est)
EDD: 2/6-3/6
VIN: 2/1 assigned, Fremont.
Updated EDD: 2/14-2/21

At least I only got the VIN while out of town not a delivery choice lol.
did you check with them about holding the vehicle for couple extra days until u get back, is it an option? Does anyone have experience pushing the pick-up dates for a couple more dates than the given date range? if so what was your approach?

UPDATE:

Located: Northern Virginia
MYLR White/Black, 20's
OD: 1/15 (Originally thought 1/14 but apparently it was after midnight est)
EDD: 2/6-3/6
VIN: 2/1 assigned, Fremont.
Updated EDD: 2/14-2/21

At least I only got the VIN while out of town not a delivery choice lol.
Your post gives me hope! I have a MYLR White/Black/19/Tow that I ordered on 1/16 at 6 am EST. My EDD has stayed at Feb 19 - March 26 and has not budged since a few days after ordering. I was under the impression that the EDD window would have to shrink multiple times prior to a VIN being assigned, but it does not appear that happened with you. Great to know, thanks for posting your update.

Reactions: C0nfu53d
Your logic sounds like mine before purchasing my first EV. Not meaning to be overly dramatic, my experience to purchase my this EV was, well, life changing. It sounds silly,

1000%

Exactly the same here. Buying our first EV was life changing as well. You are right, it does sound silly and it is hard to explain to family and friends. So many big and little things that add up to an amazing experience. It makes driving fun and exciting, like when you first got your drivers license. Just my experience.

Your post gives me hope! I have a MYLR White/Black/19/Tow that I ordered on 1/16 at 6 am EST. My EDD has stayed at Feb 19 - March 26 and has not budged since a few days after ordering. I was under the impression that the EDD window would have to shrink multiple times prior to a VIN being assigned, but it does not appear that happened with you. Great to know, thanks for posting your update.
Man shoulda just went with the black seats, I ordered white seats and still no narrowing of the date range or vin assignment

Tesla is definitely a nice to have vehicle. But.... you raised 3 kids. Treat yourself! The kids can learn to drive in the van and can be used when you need to tow.

Model Y White/Black LR, 5 seat, all standard no modifications
OD: 1/23/2023
Original EDD: Jan-Mar 2023
New EDD (1/31): Feb 27 - Mar 31 2023
Delivery location: Dallas Metro

Thoughts in this group on when VIN assignment might happen?
My best guess would be that your Vin assignment will be closer to 2nd week in March in the very least. Once you see that window change to a 2 week window you are getting closer! That's all I got 'cuz I'm still waiting on a VIN myself :D Ordered 1/13

Update :)

MYLR MSM/Black Interior, 19" wheels
Order Date: 1/13
OEDD: 25 JAN - 8 FEB (updated on 1/18)
1/26: Mobile Connector Shipped
1/28: VIN Assigned (Fremont) and new EDD of 10 FEB - 18 FEB

As of this morning, our EDD was updated to 2/4 - 2/12. A couple of hours later, we got a text from our local delivery center asking us to schedule delivery. We are scheduled for the 8th!

Update :)

MYLR MSM/Black Interior, 19" wheels
Order Date: 1/13
OEDD: 25 JAN - 8 FEB (updated on 1/18)
1/26: Mobile Connector Shipped
1/28: VIN Assigned (Fremont) and new EDD of 10 FEB - 18 FEB

As of this morning, our EDD was updated to 2/4 - 2/12. A couple of hours later, we got a text from our local delivery center asking us to schedule delivery. We are scheduled for the 8th!
Congrats! I ordered the same on 1/15. Still waiting on vin.