Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla would still qualify for the $3750 part of the tax credit, which accounts for the assembly. The other $3750 for mining critical battery components is the one in question. Will the Feds keep a strict regulation of 60%? Will they keep the clause on procuring from free trade countries? Will they give a 30 to 60 day cool off period, if not? It's all conjecture at this point.
Final Assembly of the vehicle is a base requirement to qualify at all but doesn't make up part of the $7,500, $3,750 comes from the battery components and $3,750 comes from the critical minerals.

So this year, following is what needs to happen:
  • To qualify at all, Final Assembly of the vehicle needs to be in North America.
    • $3,750 credit: At least 50% of the value of the battery components need to be manufactured or assembled within North America.
    • $3,750 credit: At least 40% of the value of the critical battery minerals need to be the following:
      • Extracted or processed in the US or a country the US has a free-trade agreement with.
      • Recycled in North America.
Starting January 1 2024, a vehicle will no longer be defined as a "new clean vehicle" and is disqualified from the credit if it contains any battery components from a foreign entity of concern.

Starting January 1 2025, a vehicle will no longer be defined as a "new clean vehicle" and is disqualified from the credit if it contains any critical battery minerals from a foreign entity of concern.

Foreign entities of concern currently include China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran.

Final Assembly of the vehicle is a base requirement to qualify at all but doesn't make up part of the $7,500, $3,750 comes from the battery components and $3,750 comes from the critical minerals.

So this year, following is what needs to happen:
  • To qualify at all, Final Assembly of the vehicle needs to be in North America.
    • $3,750 credit: At least 50% of the value of the battery components need to be manufactured or assembled within North America.
    • $3,750 credit: At least 40% of the value of the critical battery minerals need to be the following:
      • Extracted or processed in the US or a country the US has a free-trade agreement with.
      • Recycled in North America.
Starting January 1 2024, a vehicle will no longer be defined as a "new clean vehicle" and is disqualified from the credit if it contains any battery components from a foreign entity of concern.

Starting January 1 2025, a vehicle will no longer be defined as a "new clean vehicle" and is disqualified from the credit if it contains any critical battery minerals from a foreign entity of concern.

Foreign entities of concern currently include China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran.
Yes I meant this based on what I read in IRS and other articles and what you've quoted above from the IRS website

"
o qualify at all, Final Assembly of the vehicle needs to be in North America.
  • $3,750 credit: At least 50% of the value of the battery components need to be manufactured or assembled within North America."

I also heard in Troy's podcast that if Tesla didn't qualify for half of it, the wordings in their website would not have mentioned "reduced". Again, this is all my inference based on what I hear/read (could turn out to be wrong/right).

Last edited:
I also heard in Troy's podcast that if Tesla didn't qualify for half of it, the wordings in their website would not have mentioned "reduced". Again, this is all my inference based on what I hear/read.
Did it say "reduced"? I can't remember. It doesn't say "reduced" now - unless I'm overlooking it somewhere.

1678910691980.png

• Informative
Reactions: AndrewZ
Yes I meant this based on what I read in IRS and other articles and what you've quoted above from the IRS website

"
o qualify at all, Final Assembly of the vehicle needs to be in North America.
  • $3,750 credit: At least 50% of the value of the battery components need to be manufactured or assembled within North America."

I also heard in Troy's podcast that if Tesla didn't qualify for half of it, the wordings in their website would not have mentioned "reduced". Again, this is all my inference based on what I hear/read (could turn out to be wrong/right).
Yeah I think that $3,750 for the components will likely be safe for most batteries this year, the challenge will start next year when any components from China will disqualify the vehicle entirely. And to produce a battery by 2025 that contains no critical minerals from China/North Korea/Russia, that will be a tough slog at large volume considering stuff like graphite where China/North Korea control almost the entire global market. It will be surely be possible to produce some cars meeting those requirements, but I highly doubt it will cover all domestic demand.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla offer $3750-7500 discounts to offset any credits lost, similar to what we've seen them do in other markets.

All subject to change with the Treasury guidance

Did it say "reduced"? I can't remember. It doesn't say "reduced" now - unless I'm overlooking it somewhere.

View attachment 917954
Hmmmmm I feel like that text has been tweaked and did say something different before

Reactions: FanboyNC
Yeah I think that $3,750 for the components will likely be safe for most batteries this year, the challenge will start next year when any components from China will disqualify the vehicle entirely. And to produce a battery by 2025 that contains no critical minerals from China/North Korea/Russia, that will be a tough slog at large volume considering stuff like graphite where China/North Korea control almost the entire global market. It will be surely be possible to produce some cars meeting those requirements, but I highly doubt it will cover all domestic demand.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla offer $3750-7500 discounts to offset any credits lost, similar to what we've seen them do in other markets.

All subject to change with the Treasury guidance

Hmmmmm I feel like that text has been tweaked and did say something different before
This "Wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla offer $3750-7500 discounts to offset any credits lost, similar to what we've seen them do in other markets.".. yes I'm expecting. They did that in Dec 2022.. won't be offered until very late in the game though.

Reactions: AndrewZ
I think Tesla is safe to qualify for the 1st half of the credit with the battery assembly requirement for all MY. Only M3 with LFP may not qualify for that 1/2.
It is of course the 2nd half with the mineral source requirement where Tesla may not qualify. Of course no other EV will qualify either so the 2nd half is sort of pointless if they don't make changes to it.

Reactions: FanboyNC
They underestimated the demand for the cheapest configuration that was priced at less than the previous $55K limit. There might have been a logistics issue, like a temporary shortage of Gemini wheels.

Their method of geographical allocations is largely responsible for why orders are not delivered according to order date. And their algorithm for generating EDD's is simply broken.

All these contribute to some people believing Tesla's prioritizing for profit.
without a question Tesla prioritizing for profit.

Lets say if Tesla payment gateway broke, will they take 3 or more months to fix it ?

Reactions: James2023y
I think Tesla is safe to qualify for the 1st half of the credit with the battery assembly requirement for all MY. Only M3 with LFP may not qualify for that 1/2.
It is of course the 2nd half with the mineral source requirement where Tesla may not qualify. Of course no other EV will qualify either so the 2nd half is sort of pointless if they don't make changes to it.
The real point is to pull the battery supply chain out of foreign entities of concern, and they know it will take years. Getting critical minerals out of China/North Korea/Russia will be a long, long game, I think this particular legislation is in place for a decade.

I see the tax credit also as a way to offset the additional costs that will accompany all this, because minerals and components not from those places with cheap labour and lax environmental standards etc will almost certainly cost more.

Reactions: starise
without a question Tesla prioritizing for profit.

Lets say if Tesla payment gateway broke, will they take 3 or more months to fix it ?
If that's the case, why don't they place MYLR in inventory for N. California, Oregon and Washington state? Those have higher sale prices, right?

Your analogy does not apply, not even close. A closer one would be if Tesla's payment gateway only works for the more expensive orders, but not the cheap ones.

Agree with this, especially that it is a minor annoyance that certainly could be improved upon. I constantly get “matched” to cars across the border in OH which I CANNOT get because of the state registration/sales restrictions Tesla has. I pretty well immediately learned to ignore this “feature” of the website since I was only getting matched with 5 seaters with 20” wheels from a state I couldn’t buy from…
You might want to try waitingfortesla.com and filtering on the state or states you can buy from.

Mylr White/white/19" socal
Od 1/14 in the evening
Original edd 2/15 - 3/22
1/30 changed to 2/10 - 3/10
Wall charger shipped 1/28
2/5 pushed out EDD to Feb 28 - March 31
2/14 pushed to March 2 - March 30
3/2 pushed to March 13 - March 31

This morning (3/14) pushed to 3/24 - 3/31...

Back in January a SA told me I had a "Soft Match" and he saw Feb 26th on his end. I asked over the phone yesterday (3/13) and they are saying there is no car matched to me yet. I also stopped by the SC I'm taking delivery at 2 weeks ago and ask for a SA to be assigned to me. She told me since I ordered online I will not get one. I have the whole team there.

Leaving 4/2 for a trip and hope to get it by then. With my luck it will be there 4/3 lol
Good luck! I have the same configuration as you, same OD, same location and we are picking up our car tomorrow. Got a text from Tesla and car came in earlier. Original pick up date was 3/19 but we could have picked it up today if we wanted to

Reactions: JessicaG
Just got a VIN assigned tonight after being given the ol’ Apr-May EDD a week or so ago. New EDD 3/20-24. Hope the same good luck finds some of you in the same scenario.
Congrats! I have EDD Apr-May. My OD was 1/29. Hoping for earlier!
It'll show up sooner or later.. for giggles here's the result of this particular notice.. compare the specs to the ones in my signature line and try and figure out how (other than MYLR) these really match my configuration.. 🤷‍♂️ - the left one IS the same color though!

View attachment 917730
Ha! That’s funny. Are most of them 7 seaters that you see?

Congrats! I have EDD Apr-May. My OD was 1/29. Hoping for earlier!

Ha! That’s funny. Are most of them 7 seaters that you see?
Looking on waitingfortesla.com it shows (3) 7-seaters MYLRs available at my location and the Accelerated Delivery now shows all of them. I wonder if "location" is the only main criteria for AD matches. These vehicles seem to be the only MYs in inventory in all of NJ as a matter of fact.

The Cherry Hill, NJ location is relatively small and when we went there on Jan 28 there were cars everywhere - waiting for pickup or repair. Likely they have little space for storing new deliveries.