TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Discussion of NOAA Regulation affecting SpaceX

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Nikxice, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

From NOAA's website for Commercial Remote Sensing Regulatory Affairs, "It is unlawful for any person who is subject to the jurisdiction or control of the United States, directly or through any subsidiary or affiliate to operate a private remote sensing space system without possession of a valid license issued under the Act and the regulations." What a bunch of red tape. I took a look at the licensing application process. It looks worse than standing in line at the DMV.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. HVM

HVM Savolainen

#2 HVM, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Informative x 5
  3. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

So, as expected, it was bureaucratic nonsense that prevented the second stage viewing.

• Like x 2
  4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I'm pretty liberal in my politics, but this is symptomatic I think of why a lot of people hate government.

• Like x 7
  5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yes. Bureaucracies cannot move fast enough to make intelligent decisions. They must rely on rules that have been approved beforehand. So they are always behind the curve. Always. Other reasons why we hate the government include cost plus contracting which incentivizes cost overruns, and generally poor execution of core mandates no matter how much money you throw at them (witness the Model X crash fatality that should have been prevented if cal trans had done their job). Add in politicization of supposedly independent agencies and you almost have an explosive mix.

This is why privatization of government agencies is usually a good thing. Imagine how much better cal trans would operate if you relied on a private company to replace safety barriers. You’d have same day replacement.

6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

That's not actually true. The first thing privatized public companies do is cut maintenance. This save the new private owners money, and service degrades. Always.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Cosmacelf

Really? UPS doesn’t maintain their trucks? Amazon doesn’t maintain their warehouses, or server buildings?

8. HVM

HVM Savolainen

SpX can be easily claim that camera showing the engine bell or satellites are for telemetry; it's not so easy to say same for this:

40143096241_0324643b5e_o.jpg

9. HVM

HVM Savolainen

"The National and Commercial Space Program Act requires a commercial remote sensing license for companies having the capacity to take an image of Earth while on orbit.

Now that launch companies are putting video cameras on stage 2 rockets that reach an on-orbit status, all such launches will be held to the requirements of the law and its conditions.

SpaceX applied and received a license from NOAA that included conditions on their capability to live-stream from space. Conditions on Earth imaging to protect national security are common to all licenses for launches with on-orbit capabilities."

http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-statement-on-todays-broadcast-of-spacex-iridium-5-launch

I think Starman images triggered this, and SpX didn't have time to file all the paper work for this launch.

10. Cosmacelf

Good point. The huge amount of publicity every satellite company gets from a SpaceX launch is worth something. Maybe a hundred grand or something. Still kinda dwarfed by the lunch costs ($65m) :)

• Like x 1
  11. croman

croman Active Member

Sure but SpaceX is cheaper and gets them free publicity! Elon has the Midas Touch.

• Funny x 1
  12. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

NOAA?

I sat down to relax from a hard day of work, and then the stupid government does this crap? I’m sick of them taking huge amounts of tax from me then treating us like slaves.

• Like x 1
  13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

• Informative x 1
  14. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

Created a new thread for discussing the NOAA. Please keep the discussion civil and away from politics. Thank you.

15. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

16. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

That's not what I said. I said the first thing once a government company is privatized, is the new owners stop spending money on maintenance. Always. It's estimated that after the UK privatized London's water utility, now approximately 1/3 of water is lost due to leaky pipes. Blackouts due to lack of line maintenance. Railroad derailings due to lack of track maintenance.

17. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

• Informative x 2
  18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

• Like x 1
  19. croman

croman Active Member

I'm not sure that NOAA heaa valid basis under the law. I don't see a national security concern...

• Like x 2
  20. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

So this whole controversy came to light only because SpaceX went to the NOAA to file a licensing application for the last Iridium mission. The article states that NOAA wasn't aware of other launches that had upper stage cameras onboard, nor had SpaceX previously filed for licensing. According to the NOAA Remote Sensing Director, “Our office is extremely small, and there’s a lot of things out there that we miss.” Yup, likely missed until someone looked up from their desk and noticed photos and video of a high flying car. Appreciate that NOAA is looking out for our national security by censoring distant earth photos from Space. Instead of pixelating those Roadster/Earth images, might suggest Kerbal. Hire some kid who could probably snooker the Russians. Here's an example that has so little detail you can barely detect the missile silo on the extreme right.o_O
    kerbal roadster.png