Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of Space Tourism and Commercialization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Axiom going for more:

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Axiom going for more:
Holy smokes. I didn't realize just how aggressive and exciting some of the thinking is getting. According to the press release Axiom will be adding their own modules to the ISS over time (no details about how or when that will happen) until about 5-7 years down the road. At that point they'll have enough modules for form their own space station, and will detach from the ISS to become the first privately owned and managed space station.

I think that's awesome.

I haven't heard anything about new ISS modules being launched. I have been thinking that whatever the docking ring / adapter is that Dragon uses, they're going to need more of them. I think there are two right now - given that the craft that brings a crew up stays put until it brings that crew back, and that there is already a scheduling issue with when to have spacecraft arrive and depart, a 3rd docking port is already sounding necessary to my completely amateur and untrained eye.

And maybe another 1 or 2 beyond that if these private missions start happening with some frequency.

Awesome!

Reactions: Grendal
NASA now says, to qualify for legitimate astronaut wings they require a crewmember to demonstrate, "activities during flight that were essential to public safety, or contributed to human space flight safety.” Otherwise, if a flyer makes it up to 50 miles, those pins will only count as "honorary astronaut wings".
This whole issue seems arbitrary and silly. I think on the recent New Shepard flight Jeff demonstrated a proper catch and swallow technique in zero G using Skittles. As a choking precaution, perhaps the video could be deemed essential for the future of human space flight safety.🤔

• Funny
Reactions: EVCollies

Its kinda a damned if scenario, and personally I could give a *sugar* about wings, but I think big picture it is something that would have been inevitable so the FAA might as well make the move now before there's any precedent set. (Its pretty hard to argue against the importance of these first flights).

While it seems like its solving a problem that doesn't exist right now, telling all the kids on the team they're going to get a trophy and then at some point in the future increasing the requirements for said trophy seems like a worse deal than just updating the requirements now. Though...on the upside, changing the rules down the road would chap a lot of rich people, so...

Related, United doesn't award me wings when I step off the flight at my destination, and I assume its straight creepy for a full size human to ask for a set of wings they give out to toddlers...?

Reactions: Grendal and adiggs
If you don't go an orbit, you should get jack sh$t. Going up and straight down and calling yourself an astronaut is an insult to Glen, Armstrong and countless others who have been to ISS and do science there.

You know Armstrong’s first flight was an up and down, yeah? :p

Any ‘insult’ here is manufactured from the armchair; there’s no outrage from the astronaut community over these recent flights.

Reactions: Grendal
Chris Hadfield seemed okay with pinning VG astronaut wings on Branson and company. If you'd like to read what he actually thinks, see the link below (Spoiler alert : "it's not much of a space flight"). I doubt most past or present NASA types really care. Nor do I think future suborbital Space flyers will care much about some Cracker Jacks box wings. Although, the ones with big egos might want to be careful. If they show up at a cocktail party flapping their wings and calling themselves astronauts, they'll get tagged with an additional title.... Jackass!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Electroman
Don't forget that NASA calls their folks "Astronauts" even if they haven't actually gone into space.
I think there's a little turf war going on here. NASA's upset that they no longer have an exclusive club.
I, personally, couldn't care less about the Bezos brothers or the kid but I'm thrilled that Wally Funk finally got into space after NASA slighted her and her colleagues long ago.
I hope that Musk offers Funk a ride into orbit. Even though she got snubbed by NASA, she's been a long-time flight instructor and supporter of private aviation. She'd be a great mission commander.

Why do astronauts get "wings" if the domain is where there is no atmosphere...?
:)
However Tesla and Virgin Galactic actually do use wings (although Tesla's are very tiny) in order to safely get back home to earth.
I guess if we can still measure power for ICE or EVs in Horsepower, they can retain the heritage of birdwings for flight capability.

:)
However Tesla and Virgin Galactic actually do use wings (although Tesla's are very tiny) in order to safely get back home to earth.
I guess if we can still measure power for ICE or EVs in Horsepower, they can retain the heritage of birdwings for flight capability.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for ancient measurement units. My favorite is the commonly used Tons when sizing Air Conditioners. Like, my home uses a 3 ton AC. It refers back to the days when they refrigerated things using ice blocks. 1 ton AC refers to how much heat energy it takes to melt 1 ton of ice in a day. Another fun fact. Air conditioning went through several stages. It was first used at warehouse scale for produce and there was an entire industry that cut up blocks of ice from frozen lakes and shipped them via boat and rail to warehouses. Extra blocks would be kept frozen under straw insulation. For a few decades in the late 1800s, you had factories using mechanical AC to make ice year round so eventually the job of ice block cutting died. And then, of course, electrification killed off the ice factories. But the ice block measurement unit remained.