Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion on Investor thread configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that there is a signal versus noise problem. I just don't like the solution, or at least the attitude with which some are approaching it. I think we can come up with something better.

How about a new thread "Short term technical analysis" or "short term tactics".

Then we can leave this as the wild child and all the detailed technical post can go in the new thread?

As mostly a lurker to this thread (but one who greatly values the shared thoughts of more than a few of you), my thoughts may not be worth much, but here they are... Clearly the daily post count to this thread has risen significantly lately, and many are finding that to be a burden to keep up with. I manage this by having subscribed to the thread, allowing me to quite easily click the emailed link to the first new (to me) post whenever I visit. This make sure that I 1) don't miss anything and 2) don't waste any time trying to figure out where I left off.

So that's a simple way to ensure that the increased 'noise' doesn't actually muffle the 'signal' for anyone who wants to make sure they see everything. But that's only half the problem--folks just don't want to spend the time wading through such a high volume of posts to get to the most valued content from our exalted experts. While I don't personally see the current volume as a big problem, it's understandable to me that some do. I also can understand the frustration that must come from those that put hours into a deeper post only to see it pages behind the times a couple of hours later.

I don't particularly like any of the solutions offered thus far. A separate site is one more place to follow, and linking out to another site presents the same problem that a buried post here does--once it's far back, people aren't going to see it. One could make the case that it's easier to check in at another site to quickly see the grouping of 'megaposts' by the author(s) that participate there, but it's really about as easy to pull up the post history of those authors here. Same goes for separate 'megapost' threads here--that also introduces an additional burden on those trying to follow the content. A separate 'social chat' thread has some merit, I think, but I do think it has the feel of dumping off certain posts into a moat to protect this thread.

So I'm not sure what the solution is. One thing that comes to mind is some sort of IRC-like public chat room that folks could jump into for the sort of real-time-focused posts that are a big part of the recent clutter here. The 'why did TSLA just drop X% in Y minutes?' and 'is Elon going to tweet about Z?' sorts of things. I agree that that sort of post is inherently less valuable in a bulletin-board format, as its importance drops precipitously mere minutes or hours after it's posted. Moving that sort of discussion to a real-time format would certainly lighten the load to this thread somewhat, while also making it easier for those interested in a more up-to-the-minute discussion to have one. There are free chatroom implementations out there, so it's certainly an option, either in an official TMC capacity or for someone to set up and link to.

I'm not blaming you for posting news. Just the emotional outburst.

I'm sorry Flux but that piece of news was definitely worth posting. The emotional addendum didn't SUBTRACT from the post. Of course it didn't add much....but still, that piece of news is pretty major.

We need to stop this game of pointing out what posts belong here and which don't. WE HAVE MODS FOR THAT. We are making the problem worse by discussing what belongs to this thread and what doesn't (almost 10 posts just for this last case.....one page wasted basically). Everyone should just do the best they can with their posts and let the mods do the rest.

Back to TSLA. Anyone got any clue why the market tanked at 10:30? I didn't see any piece of news just before the drop.

Citizen-T, I'm with you and Theshadows on this one. And bonnie, and everyone else.

Ever since that other thread started, I feel like half the posts in this thread are complaints about how things don't belong in this thread. Something which definitely doesn't belong in this thread is a post which contributes nothing more than a complaint about how another post doesn't belong in this thread.

I've never even looked at the new thread.

I rarely post on this thread, as I'm primarily long term. I'll never use options, etc. but I like to see what those more knowledgeable are thinking about the actual short term movements and their causes.

Mod Note: we'd welcome some practical discussion on this and, as moderators, we'll try to support whatever comes out.

The "Short-Term" thread has over 11,000 posts and close to 1.2m views so in all honesty it's almost impossible to sort subjects and cherry pick groups of posts out into new threads (That would take hours of work and moderators are all volunteers you know! ;-)). Any solution is also going to be on our current platform so will require self-discipline on behalf of members.

As I see it so far, and in among al the comments, there's a desire going forward for a "cleaner" short-term thread and also somewhere that larger analysis and technical posts can go.....Any other big issues?

Not a big issue, but with the shuffle I get the feeling no one even read my post. Or they just thought it wasn't even worthy of a "stupid idea" response. Hard to tell.

I read it. Thanks. And it was a good idea.

I also liked DaveT's wife's idea of a 'points up/down' to decide whether to keep certain posts as relevant/not relevant

Funny how lots of folks suggest software updates when all that is really required is self-discipline....but on a more serious note, software changes would help but there's already a long list of priorities ahead of this one.

Careful Nigel, I never suggested a software change to TMC - this could easily be done outside of it. :) In fact, I created a python script for myself to do exactly that.

I think the thread title is too generic. As titled it's destined to be 1000s of pages.

Two paths as I see it:
1. Rely on mod/mods to tease out individual topics after most of the dust has settled (which is the model we're apparently using mostly these days).
2. Somehow restrict content additions to broadly titled threads like this one. Perhaps socially (with mod followup) or technically (via forum software settings) limit posts on this thread to ones that introduce timely topics via a link to a new thread.

An example:

Approach 1
1. Elon speaks in Antartica about whatever and uses the word Tesla at least once.
2. People discuss the topic of Elon's Antartica speech.
3. People discuss the appetizers at the speech.
4. People discuss the impact on the stock.
5. People discuss the impact of 1,2,3,4 on the thread.
6. People chastise each other for doing the wrong thing in this thread.
7. Mods tease out 1,2,3,4,5,6 into other threads.

Approach 2
1. Elon speaks in Antartica about whatever and uses the word Tesla at least once.
2. Ten people post a link to a new thread titled "Elon speaks in Antartica on 2013/10/22" in this thread.
3. Discussion directly, indirectly, and barely related to the speech and event continues in the ten threads from #2.
4. Mods merge the ten threads from #2 into one thread.

I'm not sure which is better, but I think those are the two most straightforward choices.

We already do both approaches already. On the one hand, it's not easy to separate conversations out of the short-term thread as it can be 100s of posts long on some days; one the other hand, the last thing we want is for everyone to start creating new threads with every minor event as we end up merging discussions which are then in a jumbled order.

The ideal solution would be a structure that folks can then stick to and keep moderator involvement to a minimum.

I vote for keeping the Short Term thread as it is, and creating a seperate thread for posts of a detailed and information rich nature. Its easier to get rid of the misc postings from a "high quality" thread rather than to do the opposite. The higher quality thread will not increase in post count as quickly and therefore there are less posts to moderate and try to sort through.

Moderator's Note:
To emphasize a point Nigel made, please keep your thinking "inside the box" of the current software platform.

In case it's not 100% clear, Nigel and I really want this forum to be a valuable resource to all of you. We are really interested in understanding how -- or whether -- we should change the threads so that you can quickly get to the sort of posts you're most interested in reading, whether that be info, socialization, swapping of tips and strategies, or whatever. Keeping everything in one mammoth thread may be okay for people who have hours to read it, but that probably describes only a tiny minority. What can we do to keep the high-content posts available, while keeping the friendly banter that makes this board a community?

OK folks, we've taken some feedback (thanks to those who PM'd or posted) and Robert and I have discussed so here's a suggested scenario:

1. Close the Short-Term TSLA thread and the Chit-Chat thread.

2. Create new threads as follows:

• Live reporting/commentary/news/hour-by-hour movements
  • Sharing joy/disaster/swings and roundabouts
  • Analysis, Charts and Tactics

3. Allow individual "guru' threads for the so-called mega posts which are:

• For established members but open to discussion for everyone
  • Approved by Moderators (Nobody wants to see 100 different threads)
  • E.g DaveT, Citizen-T, Sleepyhead, CapOp
  • Moderators will step in if they start to go too far off the rails

4. Sticky the threads in point 2. above plus Long-Term Fundamentals.

5. Sticky the latest "quarterly" thread as we do with FW versions in the User Interface section.

As with all solutions this does require self-discipline from our members but we figure that it's manageable from a moderator viewpoint..

We know that we'll never make everyone happy but this is your chance to comment and tell us if you like the idea(s).

Thoughts?

1. ...
  2. ...
  3. Approved by Moderators (Nobody wants to see 100 different threads)
This one I'm concerned about. "Approved by moderators" adds both a delay (for readers) and work (for moderators), both of which are bad things.

An alternate model I'd like to suggest for #3:
1. Mark the guru thread as closed.
2. Put the mega posts in one of the normal/open threads.
3. Mega posts can be moved to the "guru" thread at moderators discretion and (ideally) a link post will be added where the post was moved from.
4. If members want to comment on portions of the mega posts, they can reply in the normal/open threads to the link post from step 3.

@brianman; we considered that but it's going to create added workload for moderators. The concept instead is that we accept some folks (with moderator agreement) start their own threads; we can't have everyone start their own thread (e.g. there's no need for a NigelM thread or a Robert.Boston thread) and that's why they would be limited. However there would be no time delay and no "approval" of posts outside of the current rules and moderator workload does not increase, but members get to discuss useful posts from respected individuals without having to plow through pages of stock movement posts.