Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@daveh85 's post above said an advisor told him that they can stack one additional Powerwall on top of each Powerwall+: Discussion: "Powerwall +"

So one inverter box per every 2 Powerwalls.

That would make sense as 1 PW seems undersized if it is their 7.6 kW inverter under the hood. It will be interesting to see how these can be combined for larger installs.

I also wonder if Tesla is planning to sell this new module to third parties like they do the PW.

It looks to me like the Gateway 2 and 7.6kW Solar Inverter are combined into one enclosure that matches the width of the Powerwall. This makes wiring simpler and could eliminate a redundant communication module and processor.
But if you want a larger PV setup, or more PW's? I could not find anything on the spec sheet about adding more PW's. The description says powerwall, not possible powerwalls. So I assume they will still sell both setups? Fun watching things change. Still does not answer about Elon's Nov comment. Still seems to imply existing PW's with new FW with increase their power output?

What advantage does this have over the normal GW and PW?

Don't for get the rapid shutdown requirements and other considerations of why having a separate GW2 is helpful.

For example, if your PWs are on the inside of your garage, you still need a rapid disconnect(s) near your MSP on the outside. So you can put the TEG2 outside near the MSP and have the breakers in there for rapid shutdown of the ESS.

And of course many California AHJs do not accept the on/off switch on the Powerwall2 as a disconnecting means, which means you'll need a disconnecting means near this garage-mounted PW as well.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
We've got a full spec sheet!

i95b3tekqbw61.jpg

It's interesting to compare these specs to current Powerwall 2 specs and Musk's comments re doubling of power on newer units / Powerwall+...

1) Off grid 9.6Kw is "nearly double" current 5Kw (not clear if this is Powerwall only or Powerwall plus PV in some combination)
2) On grid 7.6Kw is >"50% more" that current 5Kw (not clear if this is Powerwall only or Powerwall plus PV in some combination). This seems like less than could be supplied today from separate PV inverter (up to max output of inverter) plus Powerwall (up to 5Kw).
3) Battery only is still limited to 5Kw
4) 50 amp circuit v 30 amp circuit

I hope these specs are not what was relied on for Musk's statements and that the update helps more that just Powerwall+

Reactions: willow_hiller
It's interesting to compare these specs to current Powerwall 2 specs and Musk's comments re doubling of power on newer units / Powerwall+...

1) Off grid 9.6Kw is "nearly double" current 5Kw (not clear if this is Powerwall only or Powerwall plus PV in some combination)
2) On grid 7.6Kw is >"50% more" that current 5Kw (not clear if this is Powerwall only or Powerwall plus PV in some combination). This seems like less than could be supplied today from separate PV inverter (up to max output of inverter) plus Powerwall (up to 5Kw).
3) Battery only is still limited to 5Kw
4) 50 amp circuit v 30 amp circuit

I hope these specs are not what was relied on for Musk's statements and that the update helps more that just Powerwall+

Tesla (TSLA) Q1 2021 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool
That solar could either be solar retrofit with conventional panels put on the roof or it can be the Tesla Solarglass Roof. But in all cases, it will have the power to -- technically, this is -- it's actually Powerwall 2 plus, if you will. The plus refers to a higher peak power capability. So basically, all Powerwalls made since roughly November of last year have a lot more peak power capability than the specification on the website.

They have about twice the power capability roughly. It depends on how you count power, but about twice the peak power and about arguably twice the steady-state power of the specification of the website. The energy is the same, but the power is roughly double. And all the installations -- so all installations will have a Powerwall.
Elon had a tweet linking it to temperature of 30C. The data sheet specs are over the full temperature range.
Powerwall 2 peak & steady power capability is better than advertised. Now that we have lots of operational data, Tesla can unlock higher capabilities for free via software update next month. Depending on production date, power increase power may be >50% at 30C ambient temp.

Reactions: Yonki and Enginerd
Trying to figure out the practical gain.

Is it basically that in order to have whole home back up you need more peak power to honestly sell one or two PW installations?

I mean, if one PW can discharge at 9.6 that's basically an hour of back up if your house is blazing away or, I suppose, at least is it that one powerwall could power the whole house, at least for a time?

After a few months of testing with 3 PWs I have never come anywhere close to needing the 15kwh (three times 5) output -- that's running the whole house, AC blasting, jaccuzzi on, and charging the Model 3 at the same time. I would never even do that. I suppose if I was doing it by accident.

Anyway, it would help with starting up AC units, which if you see other threads was a major pain in the ass.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
Thanks @mongo for the actual quotes. Will be interesting to see how this all emerges in real life but I'm beginning to think my mid-2020 Powerwall is going to remain unchanged...

I think sometime around October 2020 will be the date where the changeover happened. If you look at the California Energy Commission's spreadsheet of registered battery systems, you can see that a third serial number was added for Powerwalls in October 2020: https://www.energy.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-05/Energy_Storage_System_List_Data_ADA.xlsx

Serial numbers starting with 3012170.

I think sometime around October 2020 will be the date where the changeover happened. If you look at the California Energy Commission's spreadsheet of registered battery systems, you can see that a third serial number was added for Powerwalls in October 2020: https://www.energy.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-05/Energy_Storage_System_List_Data_ADA.xlsx

Serial numbers starting with 3012170.
Since mine were made in Jan 2021, and do not have that SN, who knows.

Not from what Tesla support told me, but shall see in next FW update

I believe that the call center employees are telling you this, but I also have enough experience (both with Tesla specifically, and the fact that I also at one point managed employees in a call center) to say that call center employees are usually fairly low on the totem pole of "How is this technical thing going to work".

TL ; DR, I am sure they are telling you that, but have little confidence that what you think they are telling you is what they are saying, or that they even know what they think they are telling you.