Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about this one.

He is stating as fact that the PW+ is a DC coupled battery now instead of AC, but the spec sheets for it still refer to 90% 'round trip' efficiency which would mean AC coupled.. ?
Uninformed opinion:
Solar DC to battery DC improves efficiency
Grid is still AC to battery DC so grid to battery to grid round trip stays the same.

Interesting, I chatted with rep this morning about install starting next week. Its a 6.55 kw solar roof with 3 PW's. This rep seemed moderately knowledgeable so who knows if everything he said is accurate. He said I'm getting the latest equipment (obviously he's going to say that in this context!), 'Powerwall 2'. When I said the previous one was called 'PW 2', he said 'no' that was just called PW and the new one is called 'PW2'. When I mentioned '+', he said that's called 'PW2' now. Clear as mud, right?

As far as capability improvements, he didn't mention increased power output, but said the new integrated set up enables much more seamless transition from grid to off grid. This makes sense based on what I understand of the new set up and does seem to address the issue I've heard about of less than seamless outages (ie resetting clocks, etc). Does this make sense to others?
Update, I got my much-more-experienced project manager on the phone. (he said the previous guy started last week).
He said my install is getting PW2 and said the + model isn’t really available yet.

when I asked about the difference, he mentioned the integrated inverter and higher power output. Personally, Its not worth it to postpone my project over this (especially since I already have materials sitting in my driveway as of yesterday). For one, my 3 PWs will need to charge from two different solar systems (new and existing which has microinverters) and from what I understand, that set up might be impossible with the + model. Also, needing more than 15 kw continuous draw during an outage seems very unlikely with my loads. Elon mentioned the higher output will require certain ambient temperatures which my PWs won’t have in the basement, so I assume max power output would be limited by that anyway.

Possible Powerwall+ layouts posted to that thread:

tesla-solar-4-jpg.660439

So it looks like it can be installed with a "Backup Gateway 2" or just a "Backup switch" in a meter socket panel.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
That image also describes the rapid shutdown device that shuts down the array "by any loss of AC power". Huh? When the grid goes down during daytime the backup can only come from the battery? I realize that if the battery is full and the load is less than the array output then systems with a separate inverter need to shut down the inverter until the battery level drops. Does the rapid shutdown device pay attention to the battery level?

In my existing PV system installed in 2000 there are charge controllers between the panels and the batteries. The charge controllers will open up if the batteries are full and the inverter is not drawing from the batteries sufficiently, but the charge controllers operate proportionally by PWM according to the load.

Anyone else wonder if Tesla could have built the soft start on the Powerwall+ side with the Maxwelll ultra capacitors? Or can they put silicon controlled rectifiers on the line side? Clearly Tesla can’t physically slow down another device’s motor torque from the powerwall side.

Obviously I am no EE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enginerd
Anyone else wonder if Tesla could have built the soft start on the Powerwall+ side with the Maxwell ultra capacitor? .............Clearly Tesla can’t physically slow down another device’s motor torque from the powerwall side.
On another thread I speculated that they just gave the inverter more surge capacity and the marketing guys called it soft start "capability". They could have used the Maxwell technology to add that surge capacity to mimic soft start. I am not an EE either but as far as I know it is the same power but just spread out over a little longer start up time. I view it as similar to what a pre charge resistor does when an inverter with big caps first connects to a battery.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I was reading on the TeslaSolar subreddit and someone said they had their system installed on the 19th and they confirmed it was the Powerwall +...this can't be right, my understanding it isn't released yet, right?

I think they're confusing PW+ with PW2.1. If they got PW+ (combination inverter/PW), they wouldn't need to confirm anything. It's evident from the shape that it's got the inverter on top.

So they probably mean PW2.1, which is the version of Powerwall with higher output.

Reactions: Heecct
I think they're confusing PW+ with PW2.1. If they got PW+ (combination inverter/PW), they wouldn't need to confirm anything. It's evident from the shape that it's got the inverter on top.

So they probably mean PW2.1, which is the version of Powerwall with higher output.

I'd be willing to be that the ESS component of PW+ is just a PW2.1, with the exception of a different casing to allow for the interface with the PV inverter above it. I don't think Tesla would go to the trouble of designing two different PWs, since both are still going to be used going forward. It's not like them.

Reactions: h2ofun

No, we have no verified data that any PW2 or 2.1 will get FW to get it out surge output. We have no verified data of the difference, if any between pw2 and pw2.1