Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s my PW2+ installation. Note that the new PW2+ Does allow the solar array to do net-metering (back feeding the grid) while supplying power to both home use and battery storage.

Looks great, thanks for sharing! Do you know if stacking PWs is allowed in your locality? Did your installation crew mention anything about stacking a PW on top of the PW+? I wonder if your two PWs were installed separately by design, or whether the crew was just unfamiliar with how they're meant to be stacked.

Here’s my PW2+ installation. Note that the new PW2+ Does allow the solar array to do net-metering (back feeding the grid) while supplying power to both home use and battery storage.
Interesting to see that you have a "Go Off Grid" option right from the local web interface. Not something I have with my older/Gateway 1 system.

What version is your firmware? I'm assuming it's something newer than 20.49.0. As others mentioned, we haven't seen that Go Off Grid option before.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Do you know if stacking PWs is allowed in your locality?
NYS does not allow PW stacking. They must be 3 fts apart from each other and 3ft away from any egress.

Interesting to see that you have a "Go Off Grid" option right from the local web interface. Not something I have with my older/Gateway 1 system.
Photo is the screen on the installer/technician's phone (with his permission) It allows them to trouble shoot them w/o manually going into the Tesla Gateway 2.0 to turn off the grid to simulate "OFF Grid" during installation testing purposes. I still have not gotten the Solar/Powerwall added to my Tesla app yet nor could I log into the Gateway 2.0 under its WiFi for some reason. I doubt I will have the ability to use a software "Go Off Grid" once I get access to it.

NYS does not allow PW stacking. They must be 3 fts apart from each other and 3ft away from any egress.

Photo is the screen on the installer/technician's phone (with his permission) It allows them to trouble shoot them w/o manually going into the Tesla Gateway 2.0 to turn off the grid to simulate "OFF Grid" during installation testing purposes. I still have not gotten the Solar/Powerwall added to my Tesla app yet nor could I log into the Gateway 2.0 under its WiFi for some reason. I doubt I will have the ability to use a software "Go Off Grid" once I get access to it.
Do you know if they connected the Powerwall+ to your network? If they did, you should be able to find the IP address on your router's list of connected devices. You can then browse to that IP address. If you are prompted to log in, you can enter the last 5 digits of the gateway serial number. You'll then be able to see information similar to what is in the Tesla app, including the firmware version.

1620834258454.png

I've tried both. My Unifi shows the gateway 2.0 is connected to my Home Devices WiFi network (I keep all the smart devices on a separately network to avoid any potential security issues/backdoors) at 192.168.1.47 but unable to connect to it even when my iPhone and computer I'm using is connected the the same WiFi network. I also tried to connect to the Gateway 2.0's own WiFi, but can't connect to it. Maybe because it is because I don't have PTO yet?

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I too had the Powerwall+ installed this past Monday Here in NC. My 2 Powerwall's are stacked back to back and they told me it was best to have them in the garage, so that's where they.

I also am unable to gain access to the Powerwalls/gateway. I go to the IP address and it says incorrect password even after performing the reset method.

I have yet to take off the film yet, but I was told that I could power on the system to charge the Powerwall so I did, but I can't see solar nor the Powerwall in the app yet, but i see the Powerwall charged to 25% on the home screen. I texted my installer lead since I know him from a previous company and he told me I shouldn't power on till PTO/inspection is passed.

Attachments

• 20210511_192353000_iOS.png
    20210511_192353000_iOS.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • 20210511_192700109_iOS (2).jpg
    20210511_192700109_iOS (2).jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 91
So on my Backup Gateway 2 I see a TPN, TSN and a password, the TSN is the serial number? Also I get a pop up when I go to the IP, do you choose customer?
Yes, login as customer and last 5 digits of TSN. I don't bother trying the password reset anymore. It would work once and then I'd have to reset it again. I've just used the 5 digits since giving up on resetting the password and it always works.

• Helpful
I too had the Powerwall+ installed this past Monday Here in NC. My 2 Powerwall's are stacked back to back and they told me it was best to have them in the garage, so that's where they.

I also am unable to gain access to the Powerwalls/gateway. I go to the IP address and it says incorrect password even after performing the reset method.

I have yet to take off the film yet, but I was told that I could power on the system to charge the Powerwall so I did, but I can't see solar nor the Powerwall in the app yet, but i see the Powerwall charged to 25% on the home screen. I texted my installer lead since I know him from a previous company and he told me I shouldn't power on till PTO/inspection is passed.
So what is the advantage of this setup compared to a standard GW2 and PW? Limitations?

Neither of the Powerwall+ photos shown here so far show the meter adapter ring or a small conduit that might go to it. Perhaps these installations are in locales where the meter box and main service panel are separate so the relay to disconnect from the grid can be interposed between them without the adapter ring, but if the PW+ is designed to work with an external relay would it still have a relay inside it like the Gateway (and conductors large enough to handle the full main breaker ampacity)?

@Chilam any chance you can share some more pictures of your install? Is there another, gateway, box installed somewhere? Is there an adapter ring between your meter and the meter base?

Neither of the Powerwall+ photos shown here so far show the meter adapter ring or a small conduit that might go to it. Perhaps these installations are in locales where the meter box and main service panel are separate so the relay to disconnect from the grid can be interposed between them without the adapter ring, but if the PW+ is designed to work with an external relay would it still have a relay inside it like the Gateway (and conductors large enough to handle the full main breaker ampacity)?
But neither showed a Gateway installed either, which is the only other install option that Tesla has shown. Both actually show a small conduit leaving the +/inverter module. So my guess is they have the cut-off between the meter and the meter base.

• Informative
Playing catch up on this topic. Is the new rectangular white box on top of the PW (1) a new Gateway, (2) the new Tesla inverter, or (3) something else?

If its something else, I would have no idea what it does, but I am sure its something.

It's a Powerwall that comes with a combination 7.6 kW inverter/Gateway attached to it in the small box above. Spec sheet was hosted on Reddit but the image was erased. Here's a re-host:

wd60FCV.jpg