Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Playing catch up on this topic. Is the new rectangular white box on top of the PW (1) a new Gateway, (2) the new Tesla inverter, or (3) something else?

If its something else, I would have no idea what it does, but I am sure its something.
PW2+has 2 parts. Top rectangular box is an all-in-one enclosure for Gateway and the Tesla Inverter that shares the same (larger) mounting bracket with the 2nd part - the Powerwall module. I believe that the Gateway, Inverter and Powerwall is probably the same as standalone componets.

Tesla disconnected my service feed from meter to inside the main panel in my basement. They used a Gateway 2.0 box as a “transfer switch” for grid and solar array from the PW2+. Which then feeds it back to main panel. I think the gateway 2.0 box has been disabled or only used for communication with the PW2+ built in gateway.

Reactions: SmartElectric
PW2+has 2 parts. Top rectangular box is an all-in-one enclosure for Gateway and the Tesla Inverter that shares the same (larger) mounting bracket with the 2nd part - the Powerwall module. I believe that the Gateway, Inverter and Powerwall is probably the same as standalone componets.
No, the box on top is not a Gateway. I think it is just an inverter, system controller, and has the integrated soft-start capability for motors/HVAC. You have to either have a Backup switch behind your meter or a Gateway2 box installed somewhere to isolate your electrical panel from the grid.

Here are possible installs:
tesla-solar-4-jpg.660439

That makes me wonder if they have a stripped down Gateway 2 box that doesn't contain the system controller portion, or if they just bypass that when installed with a Powerwall+ system.

@Chilam any chance you can share some more pictures of your install? Is there another, gateway, box installed somewhere? Is there an adapter ring between your meter and the meter base?

Yes there’s another gateway box outside my fence next to the meter. Tesla disconnected my service line and put a gateway 2.0 box next to it and used that as a “Transfer Switch” between the Grid and Solar Array via PW2+. It then feed power back into my main service panel inside the basement. I believe the gateway 2.0 is not activated as a “Gateway” or it is used as a slave and is being controlled by the built-in gateway of the PW2+.

Attachments

• FD3DF161-FA96-4D7D-92F0-2A8587A6D337.jpeg
    FD3DF161-FA96-4D7D-92F0-2A8587A6D337.jpeg
    655.8 KB · Views: 149
No, the box on top is not a Gateway. I think it is just an inverter, system controller, and has the integrated soft-start capability for motors/HVAC. You have to either have a Backup switch behind your meter or a Gateway2 box installed somewhere to isolate your electrical panel from the grid.

Good point. I was reading integrated system controller from the spec sheet and I assumed that meant it included the isolation ability of the Gateway. I don't think we've seen an install with a Backup Switch instead of a Gateway, have we?

I wonder whether that will be a component Tesla is manufacturing as well, or whether it will be some sort of off-the-shelf ATS.

Good point. I was reading integrated system controller from the spec sheet and I assumed that meant it included the isolation ability of the Gateway. I don't think we've seen an install with a Backup Switch instead of a Gateway, have we?

Nope.

But @sean10780 hasn't shown us the rest of their install. Do you have a Gateway 2 or device between the meter and meter base?

I can confirm the box on top of the PW2+ has a gateway as the gateway that’s active as the serial number matches what’s on my network while the standalone gateway 2.0 box is not.

It kinda becomes a methodological question of what constitutes a Gateway. I imagine the PW2+ may be running the same firmware as a standalone Gateway, but if it lacks the physical isolation switch then it's not "gating" anything.

Nope.

But @sean10780 hasn't shown us the rest of their install. Do you have a Gateway 2 or device between the meter and meter base?
Here is the outside picture. The only thing in the gateway is 2 breakers, one for the Powerwalls and the inverter. But attached is also an inside look at the inverter that sits above the Powerwalls.

Attachments

• 20210512_212610735_iOS (2).jpg
    20210512_212610735_iOS (2).jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 121
Here is the outside picture. The only thing in the gateway is 2 breakers, one for the Powerwalls and the inverter. But attached is also an inside look at the inverter that sits above the Powerwalls.
The fact that its a 7.6 inverter and has a soft start mechanism is definitely in improvement from the number of boxes I have on my install.

But the actual Gateway 2 really is the secret sauce because it is the piece of equipment which manages the Grid, Solar and PWs.

When Tesla said it would "simplify installations" it seems to do so.

It kinda becomes a methodological question of what constitutes a Gateway. I imagine the PW2+ may be running the same firmware as a standalone Gateway, but if it lacks the physical isolation switch then it's not "gating" anything.

I guess my definition is a bit different as I am thinking of computer terminology which I am more familiar with.

The physical isolation that you spoke of in my installation happens in the separate gateway box - which the tech says is the “transfer switch” - I am sure somehow the built in “gateway” has some way of controlling/ communicating with the standalone box as there’s software control that allows the tech to “Go Off Grid” remotely making the transfer switch switch to Solar only.

Here are possible installs:
tesla-solar-4-jpg.660439

That makes me wonder if they have a stripped down Gateway 2 box that doesn't contain the system controller portion, or if they just bypass that when installed with a Powerwall+ system.

I don't really understand what the first diagram is referring to as the "Backup switch" - what I am guessing that is is a switch which can cut off the house from the grid if either (a) the grid is down or (b) the grid is not needed. It would be the same switch in the Gateway 2 but not actually in the box.

In my install there is a (a) main switch disconnecting the grid, (b) a second set of breakers in the main panel disconnecting the sub panel, (c) a box about a foot away which would isolate (again with breakers) the entire solar/PW system, and (d) the breakers in the Gateway 2.

That's four breakers protecting the grid, or at least three.

The new box on top could very well contain all the secret sauce of the Gateway 2 and only the switch itself is installed in the meter.

The second diagram would be when, I suppose the meter panel could not hold a "Backup Switch"

So that simplifies installs even more, as long as the meter panel can accomodate the "Backup Switch"

Update, I got my much-more-experienced project manager on the phone. (he said the previous guy started last week).
He said my install is getting PW2 and said the + model isn’t really available yet.

when I asked about the difference, he mentioned the integrated inverter and higher power output. Personally, Its not worth it to postpone my project over this (especially since I already have materials sitting in my driveway as of yesterday). For one, my 3 PWs will need to charge from two different solar systems (new and existing which has microinverters) and from what I understand, that set up might be impossible with the + model. Also, needing more than 15 kw continuous draw during an outage seems very unlikely with my loads. Elon mentioned the higher output will require certain ambient temperatures which my PWs won’t have in the basement, so I assume max power output would be limited by that anyway.
They did an installation today at my house. Just installed the equipment, they will do the load transfer tomorrow. It is a PW2. They told me the left-most is my new load center, middle is the GW and the right one is the Battery panel. I have 2 Powerwalls. Only the dryer will not be backed up. No AC though, but they are backing up the Tesla Charger

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
This picture inside the inverter must have been taken before the installation was complete since the ground wire is not connected and there are no wires going into the conduit.

I was told that they are rolling out Powerwall+ in specific areas at a time. I'm in the SF Bay Area, does anyone know if anyone has had one installed around here yet? I'm due for an install mid-June and I'm told I'm still on the Powerwall 2.0.

I was told when my install was being done here in NC that it's a pilot program and only a few are being installed in NC. I think 3 total that I know of so far.

I was told that they are rolling out Powerwall+ in specific areas at a time. I'm in the SF Bay Area, does anyone know if anyone has had one installed around here yet? I'm due for an install mid-June and I'm told I'm still on the Powerwall 2.0.
I have an install tomorrow in the bay area and all of the documentation i have been provided indicates Powerwall 2.0. Will update tomorrow if anything changes.