Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Project advisor mentioned that all new installs were using backup switch, so he assumes it’s approved by PGE. Doesn’t exactly give me confidence but I assume they must have some form of green light as they wouldn’t want to redo so many installs.

Project advisor mentioned that all new installs were using backup switch, so he assumes it’s approved by PGE. Doesn’t exactly give me confidence but I assume they must have some form of green light as they wouldn’t want to redo so many installs.
Maybe Tesla is trying to push PG&E with the sheer number of installs. Complaining to the CPUC with a large backlog of unapproved installs could be compelling for them to lean on PG&E as well.

It may also be because any of the installs with multiple Powerwall+ and a Gateway aren't functioning. Been three weeks with no movement from engineering on a fix for our new install. Just a "wait on new firmware."

I refused to allow them to schedule an inspection until the system works. I only have $100 in it and they have thousands just sitting on my roof and in my garage.

It may also be because any of the installs with multiple Powerwall+ and a Gateway aren't functioning. Been three weeks with no movement from engineering on a fix for our new install. Just a "wait on new firmware."

I refused to allow them to schedule an inspection until the system works. I only have $100 in it and they have thousands just sitting on my roof and in my garage.
They have released the firmware for these systems. Mine has been fully functional since last week.
Software is 21.31.0

Have you turned it on? It auto updated for me and began working before they came to “commission”.
Reach out to your advisor and ask if the software is ready.
I call customer service daily. My advisor Tawni has a nasty habit of "reviewing my file" and disconnecting me mid hold while I wait, so I usually have to call twice to get someone else. The electrician who installed and inspection coordinator are both monitoring my account and emailing me updates (which are...no movement yet). The whole system has been "on" since it was installed...so engineering can pull whatever data there is to pull. It just doesn't function. Electrician spent 4 hours troubleshooting with engineering on his day off.

I've personally turned the whole thing on and off multiple times. No difference.

Gateway just shows "missing meter connection" for solar and powerwalls.

• Helpful
Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
I just got mine installed (8.14kW + 2xPW), when I started the process (bay area) I specifically asked for the backup switch and was told PGE hasn't approved it and I have to go with Gateway. Not sure if they made that up or there is really still some issues with it.

I can't login to anything. If I reset the gateway and connect to its ssid it just tells me I have the wrong password to my tesla account. Three blinking powerwalls, a greyed out powerwall on the app with no solar panels showing, and if you refresh it just says "no recent data available".
I am in the same boat, gateway not showing any activity ?
do I need to wait for newer firmware ?

Also check your app on the settings page of powerwall. What’s the firmware code at the bottom?

From what I was told PGE needs to shut down power to the meter and then I guess a Tesla tech will install it.
That doesn't sound right. It is routine for a PG&E technician to pull a meter off the socket without disconnecting the service lines -- I think the service lines are hardwired and there isn't any switch near the transformer. I'm guessing that the meter might be removed, then attached to the Backup Switch, then that assembly would be plugged back into the meter socket. So that operation would be essentially the same as changing meters. PG&E would need to attach new seals.
Just hoping that it's actually approved as I haven't heard anyone on PGE with one installed yet.
Yes, I expect there are quite a few people waiting to see one installed at proof that PG&E has approved it.