Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't sound right. It is routine for a PG&E technician to pull a meter off the socket without disconnecting the service lines -- I think the service lines are hardwired and there isn't any switch near the transformer. I'm guessing that the meter might be removed, then attached to the Backup Switch, then that assembly would be plugged back into the meter socket. So that operation would be essentially the same as changing meters. PG&E would need to attach new seals.

Yes, I expect there are quite a few people waiting to see one installed at proof that PG&E has approved it.
That makes sense actually, maybe they just can't break the seal on the meter without PGE. They had the backup switch with them when they installed everything else, but just took it back and told me PGE would come out at some point. I guess PGE owns the meter so they don't want anyone else touching it, probably why I saw some other installs out there where a 2nd meter was installed afterwards just to have the backup switch. Hoping that isn't the case here.

I guess the backup switch is only used to disconnect the system from the grid because I flipped the breakers and looks like the system works in self consumption mode. Made sure I was charging my car so that I wouldn't send anything back, but I saw a dip in what I was pulling from the grid once the system was on so at least the Solar seems to be working. I noticed that once I stopped charging, the Solar dropped also to match what the house was using but I will still sending back exactly what my existing solar system was producing so I guess maybe the backup switch will help with that or they need to install another CT to monitor the other solar system. Still don't want to risk there being a power outage and somehow send power back to the grid, so I'll leave it off but good to know it works if needed.

@Vines Well to my surprise Tesla came out and installed the Backup Switch, last minute scheduling. Got to see first hand how unorganized things are, but no fault of the technicians. They showed up without a backup switch because they thought the install crew had left one, so the PGE technician just told them to cut the tags and let them know when they are done to put new ones on. A little later their supervisor shows up with the backup switch and from their conversation I could tell how swamped they are trying to juggle so many jobs. I guess they had to start switching install crews to maintenance crews a few days a week to deal with the backlog. Unfortunately my system isn't working yet as the Powerwall doesn't see the backup switch so hopefully that will be resolved soon. The lead electrician said that the backup switch is approved in San Jose and Mountain View, but I thought approval would be across the entire PGE territory or not. Definitely frustrating trying to deal with Tesla customer service, but when they are the cheapest option they are going to get a lot of interest, but without the manpower to support it.

Attachments

• IMG_3664 2.jpg
    IMG_3664 2.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 181
@Vines Well to my surprise Tesla came out and installed the Backup Switch, last minute scheduling. Got to see first hand how unorganized things are, but no fault of the technicians. They showed up without a backup switch because they thought the install crew had left one, so the PGE technician just told them to cut the tags and let them know when they are done to put new ones on. A little later their supervisor shows up with the backup switch and from their conversation I could tell how swamped they are trying to juggle so many jobs. I guess they had to start switching install crews to maintenance crews a few days a week to deal with the backlog. Unfortunately my system isn't working yet as the Powerwall doesn't see the backup switch so hopefully that will be resolved soon. The lead electrician said that the backup switch is approved in San Jose and Mountain View, but I thought approval would be across the entire PGE territory or not. Definitely frustrating trying to deal with Tesla customer service, but when they are the cheapest option they are going to get a lot of interest, but without the manpower to support it.
Thanks for the heads up.

PGE is not telling us the same story yet, unfortunately. I will be interested to see how you progress through PTO. San Jose and Mountain view don't have anything to say about a Utility owned meter, so their approval is secondary to PGE's

Likely PGE is running some kind of pilot with Tesla, and you are part of that.

Thanks for the heads up.

PGE is not telling us the same story yet, unfortunately. I will be interested to see how you progress through PTO. San Jose and Mountain view don't have anything to say about a Utility owned meter, so their approval is secondary to PGE's

The electrician mentioned they had installed a few others already, so possibly. I really hope PTO doesn't drag on too long, I'll be pretty upset if I don't get into NEM 2.0 somehow. I guess similar to Autopilot, I will always be a paying beta tester for Tesla without knowing it :)

I have only two
one from enphase and other from Tesla
I have a small Enphase solar system and it has two 20A breakers. Unless your Enphase array is 3.6kW or less, it will need two breakers. Most likely, the "New Solar" is the Tesla system and the nested pair below are the Enphase. Do you have PTO for the Tesla array?

Edit: I should emphasize that my Enphase system is old and doesn't use the IQ Combiner or other newer IQ hardware. I simply have two strings of micro-inverters and the trunk cables are only rated up to 16A continuous per string. That is why it uses 20A breakers. The wiring and breaker sizing for a system that uses other hardware like the IQ Combiner may be wired differently.
My supposition that the upper 20A breaker is for Tesla solar also implies that it would have to have a 3.6kW Tesla inverter and 4.x kW of solar panels.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ngkl and mongo
Thanks for the heads up.

You were correct, someone called me to schedule the inspection and said that I was in a pilot program with PGE and will be the first with backup switch to go through an inspection so "we will see how it goes, lets just try it". Didn't leave me with a whole lot of confidence, but they said they have a approval letter from PGE that they will show the inspector. I do like the clean install with the backup switch, so hoping it passes inspection on Monday!

Last edited:
I am in the same position where I had everything except my backup switch installed. The install guys from Tesla said they would come back after PGE removed the tamper tag on the meter

I called PGE today and was routed to a different dept that seems to have more info regarding this. I specifically asked about the backup switch and the lady mentioned that they just received an internal memo ~1 hour before I called that the Tesla Backup Switch is not approved and will not be allowed at all. I asked her what would happen for people that already had it installed and she wasn’t 100% sure but said since this is new info but it is definitely not approved, they will probably have to recall them.

Looks like getting a gateway is the only option now?

I am in the same position where I had everything except my backup switch installed. The install guys from Tesla said they would come back after PGE removed the tamper tag on the meter

I called PGE today and was routed to a different dept that seems to have more info regarding this. I specifically asked about the backup switch and the lady mentioned that they just received an internal memo ~1 hour before I called that the Tesla Backup Switch is not approved and will not be allowed at all. I asked her what would happen for people that already had it installed and she wasn’t 100% sure but said since this is new info but it is definitely not approved, they will probably have to recall them.

Looks like getting a gateway is the only option now?
I wouldn't mind waiting a while for PTO since I don't have to start paying for the system until that happens, but obviously if it drags out too long where I wouldn't be eligible for NEM 2.0 anymore that would be a problem. Will be interesting to see what happens after my inspection on Monday.

How long has it been since your install was done? I have a 8.5 kw system pending and am getting a bit nervous reading all these posts I am also in PGE land in Lincoln Ca. So a permit app has been submitted and a revision just submiTed last week