Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I thought I was getting 2 PW+ but Tesla tells me the system would be over powered that way and more balanced with the other configuration . You are still waiting on PTO?
Yup. Inspection just passed earlier this week. PW+ has the solar inverter built in so I imagine multiple are only used for larger installs. System seems to working okay, pretty happy with it. Just be prepared for horrible communication with Tesla, luckily I didn't have to make any changes to the design.

Yup. Inspection just passed earlier this week. PW+ has the solar inverter built in so I imagine multiple are only used for larger installs. System seems to working okay, pretty happy with it. Just be prepared for horrible communication with Tesla, luckily I didn't have to make any changes to the design.
I am awaiting a permit on mine should not be to much longer. You mentioned working ok, I thought you couldn’t turn it on until you got PTO?

I am awaiting a permit on mine should not be to much longer. You mentioned working ok, I thought you couldn’t turn it on until you got PTO?
The installers said it's fine to leave it on since it's on self consumption mode so won't send anything back to the grid. For some reason mine is not set up for that, but might be due to having an existing solar system. I just leave it in self powered mode so I don't really send much to the grid almost as if I just shutdown the main breaker. If you consumption is low and you think the powerwall can handle your daily load you could also leave it on off grid mode.

The installers said it's fine to leave it on since it's on self consumption mode so won't send anything back to the grid. For some reason mine is not set up for that, but might be due to having an existing solar system. I just leave it in self powered mode so I don't really send much to the grid almost as if I just shutdown the main breaker. If you consumption is low and you think the powerwall can handle your daily load you could also leave it on off grid mode.
where do you see self consumption mode ?
I only see back up, self powered and time based control

Self-Powered = self consumption.

As I understand it, Powerwall + also has the ability to prevent grid backfeed before PTO. It will automatically curtail the solar when the battery is full and the production would otherwise be higher than the home consumption.

As a side note, I know someone who recently got Tesla Solar installed with the new Tesla solar inverter (no Powerwalls). They were able to turn on the solar in a sort of self consumption mode prior to PTO. There was no export of solar until PTO was granted.

Just had a DocuSign from Tesla on PGE letterhead that says I agree to release all responsibility from PGE for the backup switch so I am starting to believe it might be conditionally approved. Here is one interesting thing in the document. Guess I don't have a choice but to sign it, but with Tesla's horrible support PGE won't be able to get any money from them which will leave me on the hook!

Through a separate agreement between PG&E and Tesla, PG&E has agreed to bill Tesla, if feasible, directly for any charges to be collected by PG&E under its existing tariffs for the work that it is providing under this Agreement. Accordingly, it is PG&E’s and Tesla’s expectation that the Applicant will not receive a separate bill from PG&E related to this work. However, PG&E reserves the right to bill and collect from the Applicant any applicable charges pursuant to PG&E’s tariffs if those charges are not able to be collected from Tesla after PG&E has made commercially reasonable efforts to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Just like the NEM agreement, I doubt we will get a copy signed from PGE. When was your system installed?

It hasn't been installed yet. I'm waiting for city permits to be issued, but yeah, I did receive the docusign on Friday afternoon regarding the backup switch. The backup switch is in my permit application drawings and I have one powerwall+ and one powerwall 2

Just like the NEM agreement, I doubt we will get a copy signed from PGE. When was your system installed?
I don't even have a copy of the NEM agreement with just my signature. I may have missed an opportunity to save a copy before finishing that form, and it is not listed among the completed documents on the account page. I asked the PA for a copy, but no response.

I got my permit conformation and install confirmation notice yesterday, no notice of any backup switch. May I assume I don’t need one?
I got the backup switch document a week after it was installed, so some dept is just catching up. Ask for your design layout and you will see all the details for the install. Tesla is pushing all installs this direction so unless your city or panel can't support it for some reason I'd suspect you would get a backup switch.

I got the backup switch document a week after it was installed, so some dept is just catching up. Ask for your design layout and you will see all the details for the install. Tesla is pushing all installs this direction so unless your city or panel can't support it for some reason I'd suspect you would get a backup switch.
Ok will take a look, and see. What is it for and is it included in the system price?

Just completed install and solar turned on on Monday, 9/27. 12.24/1PW+/1PW2. Waiting for inspection and PTO.

Weather has been beautiful here in south Florida. System peaks at 7.6kW on or off grid. Per spec sheet, PW+ 7.6 max on grid, 9.6 off. Is this normal? Has anyone seen the 9.6 off grid on single PW+?

thanks.

I just had a 12kw solar array installed, they placed one powerwall+, and a second power wall. first day running, my solar output from the solar inverter was clipped at 7.6kW for 4 hours. They certainly underestimated the peak capacity of my solar array, and its september. Peak output from solar looks to be 7.6kw, which is what the spec sheet says. I paid 10k to move from an 8k system to a 12k system, home insurance had to be increased going >10kw. Other folks i know with 12k systems have 2 inverters, 7.6 and a 3.8. Have a feeling tesla isn't going to want to fix my system to what i thought i purchased.. Anyone have similar issues?
Same exact issue here in Florida.

dude, not to be a downer, but i have an 11,655 (DC) array, down rated 15% to 9,907 watts (AC) and am in Florida
i made in Sept, 1,418.6 kwh (1.4 megawatt hrs) consumed 786.8kwh and exported 631.8 kwh.

in september i got an average of 47kwh/day
in may i made 1,949kwh or 63kwh/day

i really need a battery kind of since any i buy back at night is ~8.6 cents and sell at ~2.1 cents.
but power bill is absolute minimum of $21.69

the thing is, i have 37 panels with 37 microinverters sized for the panels.

at first glance it looks like your inverter is way undersized since you don’t want it maxing out, degrading ‘n such.
you are going to be even more unhappy if you don’t get this fixed real soon

something is not right if you are clipping output. i’d go for a bigger inverter but check with other folks

i’m also in florida

Last edited:
Reactions: Enginerd
Hello I have similar concerns here. Just had split system installed on my home. Production seems to be capped at 7.6. I’m am currently waiting on pto. I read some information on tesla powerwall +. That allowed you to run system prior to pto. It also says that full production will start after pto. I think things are so new and or changing so fast they don’t know themselves. See attached:

My system should be producing more like 11 plus kWh. I mentioned this to the Tesla representative but. All they want to say is pay for system and then after we get pto. We can see what’s going on. Unfortunately I feel like let’s get it right first then I will pay bill. We basically are stuck in limbo at this point. It has been about 2 weeks since inspection.