Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I have similar concerns here. Just had split system installed on my home. Production seems to be capped at 7.6. I’m am currently waiting on pto. I read some information on tesla powerwall +. That allowed you to run system prior to pto. It also says that full production will start after pto. I think things are so new and or changing so fast they don’t know themselves. See attached:

My system should be producing more like 11 plus kWh. I mentioned this to the Tesla representative but. All they want to say is pay for system and then after we get pto. We can see what’s going on. Unfortunately I feel like let’s get it right first then I will pay bill. We basically are stuck in limbo at this point. It has been about 2 weeks since inspection.
1633281997187.jpeg

I got the same docusign. That's just a PG&E form. Notice there is a place for PG&E to sign. It doesn't mean anything unless PG&E signs it. The copy Tesla has on file in my account is only signed by me. I'll believe it when it is signed by PG&E
New to the thread: I had a solar roof w/2x powerwalls install completed on Aug 25th, but still waiting for the back-up switch install with PG&E. I verified with PG&E that the backup switch is approved on a pilot basis, BUT Tesla can only submit 10 pilot customers to PG&E for scheduling backup switch installs per day. Verified this with Telsa Project Advisor. No clue where I sit in the queue... and they cant tell me either. I have refused to pay Tesla for the roof until the switch is installed.

New to the thread: I had a solar roof w/2x powerwalls install completed on Aug 25th, but still waiting for the back-up switch install with PG&E. I verified with PG&E that the backup switch is approved on a pilot basis, BUT Tesla can only submit 10 pilot customers to PG&E for scheduling backup switch installs per day. Verified this with Telsa Project Advisor. No clue where I sit in the queue... and they cant tell me either. I have refused to pay Tesla for the roof until the switch is installed.

Hi mje123 - how were you able to verify with PG&E? My city is refusing to issue a permit for my work to proceed because they say PG&E has not approved the backup switch.

Hi mje123 - how were you able to verify with PG&E? My city is refusing to issue a permit for my work to proceed because they say PG&E has not approved the backup switch.
I called the customer service number on the PG&E website for solar customers. The PGE rep read from an internal memo they received last week outlining the pilot switch program with Tesla.

Anyone have experience with SCE PTO times. I have a install with a powerwall+ so i can at least use the solar but no pushing to the grid. Love the system ao far.
My PTO was two weeks after tesla submitted App. The long part was the 4 weeks it took for tesla to submit for PTO. So 6 weeks total from install. ( installed beginning of July, PTO end of august.

Any one have issues with there strings in there powerwall+ stop working and have to do a reboot??
Self-consumption Mode - No PTO yet - Installed 4 weeks ago

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 102
  • fix.jpg
    fix.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 99
Any one have issues with there strings in there powerwall+ stop working and have to do a reboot??
I’ve tried a reboot and I don’t get my string to return. Been waiting over 1 month for tesla to come out, now it looks like 90% chance of rain the day they are scheduled. Lovely I’ll get to wait another 2 months for them to fix something that’s been inoperable since PTO

PW installation starts on Monday(10/25) along with solar roof (15kW) and I have question regarding where I can put PWs on my basement. During site-survey, Tesla recommended 3 PWs stack together in the corner of my basement office. However, I change my mind :) and I want to hang those individually on drywall but near basement window (small one). Is there any restrictions how far away from basement window for PW location ?

PW installation starts on Monday(10/25) along with solar roof (15kW) and I have question regarding where I can put PWs on my basement. During site-survey, Tesla recommended 3 PWs stack together in the corner of my basement office. However, I change my mind :) and I want to hang those individually on drywall but near basement window (small one). Is there any restrictions how far away from basement window for PW location ?
I don't know about basement windows, but when I wanted them to mount mine on the wall of the garage, they made a big deal about how the wall might need to be reinforced to handle the additional load. The installer traveled several hours to get here, and in the interest of keeping things moving, I agreed to have them sit on the floor, while just using the wall anchors to prevent them from falling over. Having seen many PWs mounted on walls, I was never aware of any special structural requirements, but I understand the concern.

I don't know about basement windows, but when I wanted them to mount mine on the wall of the garage, they made a big deal about how the wall might need to be reinforced to handle the additional load. The installer traveled several hours to get here, and in the interest of keeping things moving, I agreed to have them sit on the floor, while just using the wall anchors to prevent them from falling over. Having seen many PWs mounted on walls, I was never aware of any special structural requirements, but I understand the concern.
If a wall is going to fall down, I get there's a concern. But what kind of wall framing exists that can support the weight of drywall (100+ lbs), but cannot support the weight of a Powerwall (200+ lbs)? Or is more about the capacity of the type of anchors used to wall-mount Powerwalls to the wall?

If a wall is going to fall down, I get there's a concern. But what kind of wall framing exists that can support the weight of drywall (100+ lbs), but cannot support the weight of a Powerwall (200+ lbs)? Or is more about the capacity of the type of anchors used to wall-mount Powerwalls to the wall?
Drywall is a uniform load distributed over the entire 4x8 (or partial) sheet, with overly redundant attachment across several studs. The moment arm of drywall is 5/16" (half of a 5/8" thickness).

The Powerwall essentially puts a 300 lb load (shear and moment) onto exactly 2 studs, each of which may be tacked into the the top plate with a single nail. The moment arm of a PW is the standoff + half the thickness, which probably totals about 3". Envision the PW & 2 studs ripping free from the top plate with some portion of a drywall sheet.

I think my installer was suggesting surgery to reinforce the wall and improve the top and bottom attachment of the 2 supporting studs. I don't claim to know what building code requires... just that my installer made a stink over it.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines and mongo
Have you hit PTO yet and did that fix your problems? I'm still waiting on PTO, hoping PTO will show > 7.6kw support thru the solar inverter. Tesla service is the worst, same with me, get PTO first and then we'll see if you have an issue. Couldn't get them to answer the question if the solar inverter would cap out at 7.6kw or not..
I have same issue (7.6 kWh inverter for a 12.14 kWh sys). System operational 5 weeks ago. FPL net metering application completed 4 weeks ago. Inspection passed 3 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago, the inspector said the interconnection team would get to my case in 2-weeks. Last week, the rep said my issue had been referred to the design team. That the issue could be related to not having PTO and that the system is not 100% capable until after. That his may be the issue. He said I should have a response today. I checked my FPL and Tesla accounts; no change.

It seems Tesla Energy has Elon's time estimation skills.

I have same issue (7.6 kWh inverter for a 12.14 kWh sys). System operational 5 weeks ago. FPL net metering application completed 4 weeks ago. Inspection passed 3 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago, the inspector said the interconnection team would get to my case in 2-weeks. Last week, the rep said my issue had been referred to the design team. That the issue could be related to not having PTO and that the system is not 100% capable until after. That his may be the issue. He said I should have a response today. I checked my FPL and Tesla accounts; no change.

It seems Tesla Energy has Elon's time estimation skills.
Thanks, i get the same run around, wait till PTO. I had my new meters installed yesterday, finally, and am waiting for PTO, however the sun is low enough now that i won't likely go above 7.6kW peak until march. In mid september i was clamping the output by 10:30am and it stayed there till 2:30pm, now i'm peaking around 7.5kw mid day. I'm very anxious to hear how it goes for you.

How do you see detail information on each string ? Mine was installed 2 days ago (15kW solar roof with PW+) but cannot access that information (don't see that option) through 192.168.91.1 once I logged in.

Reactions: tdawg67