Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was playing around with the ordering page and there is now a $500 discount included for the Backup Switch. Nice that they pass on a little savings to the customer, but for Tesla it is a big savings in labor and materials.

How do you see detail information on each string ? Mine was installed 2 days ago (15kW solar roof with PW+) but cannot access that information (don't see that option) through 192.168.91.1 once I logged in.
How many wire pairs run into you inverter(s) from the roof. Each should be a string. To know for sure, you'd need to take off the inverter cover to see how many MPPT's are used.

How many wire pairs run into you inverter(s) from the roof. Each should be a string. To know for sure, you'd need to take off the inverter cover to see how many MPPT's are used.
I have 4 strings (for 115 active PV tiles) going to 1 inverter (part of Powerwall+) and 3 strings (for 94 active PV tiles) to another inverter. I have a site plan and do have all the information but I cannot see string information showing voltages and amps from 192 address in app. Maybe I have to wait few days since it was installed 3 days ago ?

How do you see detail information on each string ? Mine was installed 2 days ago (15kW solar roof with PW+) but cannot access that information (don't see that option) through 192.168.91.1 once I logged in.
You need to login as the installer - select installer and flip the switch.
Still having string issues every few days its annoying.

Still having string issues every few days its
Still having string issues every few days its annoying.
I have been logged in as a customer. So you need to setup my account as an installer? Am I allowed to do that as a customer?

My install has been running for last month and all of a sudden now this shows up in my app. It’s obviously still exporting to the grid, but not sure why I just started to get the self consumption message. I have an existing solar system so figured wouldn’t really be a big deal since I normally export anyways and with most of the solar being used for charging the powerwalls I usually don’t export much.

B6B0C476-F635-49E4-B73E-819E07371ACD.png

I could not log in using the 192.168.91.1 approach....I had to see my Gateway 2 which was broadcasting wifi, connect to that wifi, and enter the password on the sticker inside the gateway 2. Once in I entered an HTTP://teg-### (last 3 of my gateway). That gave me the login prompt, to flip the switch on one Powerwall...then I was able to login as an installer....voila, I was able to see my strings!

Reactions: winfield100
wondering why is telsa taking so long to get the project moving
It is been two months since they installed the powerwalls and solar panels I signed the dousign agreement between PGE/Tesla for backup switch
Still waiting for city inspection
I can only imagine how long it will take to get PTO
Any one in similar situation

It is been two months since they installed the powerwalls and solar panels I signed the dousign agreement between PGE/Tesla for backup switch
You should be able to ask the city about your permit status and how long it takes to get an inspection. You can also ask them if the electrical contractor needs to be present for inspection. If the city says it can be inspected any time, you should really call Tesla to find out why it hasn't been inspected yet.

Reactions: ngkl
Drywall is a uniform load distributed over the entire 4x8 (or partial) sheet, with overly redundant attachment across several studs. The moment arm of drywall is 5/16" (half of a 5/8" thickness).

The Powerwall essentially puts a 300 lb load (shear and moment) onto exactly 2 studs, each of which may be tacked into the the top plate with a single nail. The moment arm of a PW is the standoff + half the thickness, which probably totals about 3". Envision the PW & 2 studs ripping free from the top plate with some portion of a drywall sheet.

I think my installer was suggesting surgery to reinforce the wall and improve the top and bottom attachment of the 2 supporting studs. I don't claim to know what building code requires... just that my installer made a stink over it.
300lb x 3in = 900in-lb (or 75ft-lb)
say your wall is 10 feet high, that would be 7.5lb horizontal reaction at the top plate and bottom plate. vertical load will be handled by the 2x4, not the sheathing. 3.5 inch .131 framing nails can handle 300lbs in shear (best case), don't think it will be a problem...

Tesla is moving super slow now, no communication, etc. Our project had system design approved last year, and our utility approved the project to install last Nov/Dec (and they charged us their fees). Now here we are with Tesla like 60 days later without a peep of communction, no responses to requests, calls are pretty worthless, etc.

Frustrating already so am going to look at secondary options.

Tesla is moving super slow now, no communication, etc. Our project had system design approved last year, and our utility approved the project to install last Nov/Dec (and they charged us their fees). Now here we are with Tesla like 60 days later without a peep of communction, no responses to requests, calls are pretty worthless, etc.

Frustrating already so am going to look at secondary options.
My recommendation, if you are going to look at other Solar companies, would be Sunrun. We had a 9.45kW system plus 2 Powerwall 2's installed. We signed on Sept 18th, 2021, roof repair by Sunrun done on Oct 10th, 2021, install done on Oct 18th, 2021, and activation on Nov 18th, 2021. We are very happy with the results and are enjoying the lowest electric, (plus solar payment), bill in a long time.

My recommendation, if you are going to look at other Solar companies, would be Sunrun. We had a 9.45kW system plus 2 Powerwall 2's installed. We signed on Sept 18th, 2021, roof repair by Sunrun done on Oct 10th, 2021, install done on Oct 18th, 2021, and activation on Nov 18th, 2021. We are very happy with the results and are enjoying the lowest electric, (plus solar payment), bill in a long time.

Does Sunrun have it's own app to track solar energy production / PW usage or does it get integrated into the Tesla app?

Seems like there is a new revision of Powerwall I haven't seen in this thread.

302170-5-B is what I saw previously. I got 302170-10-B installed last month.

Either way, seems like Elon's original assertion that existing Powerwalls would get a power capacity upgrade never came true.

Mine are still installed on 30A breakers.
20220309_122442.jpg