Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they show the new price it will upset those who already ordered and they might start canceling or not taking the delivery. $7500 credit with a lower entry price on LR is hard to pass on.
Agreed - that’s why I’m wrestling with whether to walk away from my M3LR reservation currently showing September 2022 delivery. I wouldn’t enjoy waiting longer, but it’s hard to justify taking the car sooner if waiting would save $5k or so.

($7500 incentive - $2k price increase since I ordered - $250 order fee. I assume that the price drop to $55k would be offset by an optional upgrade that I’d end up ordering anyway.)

What year is it? They don't make a standard range anymore. They make a RWD now. And the packs are all from China. It will likely be one to two years before there is a LFP factory in the US. CATL just announced that they are delaying they're announcement and start of construction.

One. More. Time. Only the LFP packs are made in China. Both the RWD and AWD packs are American made. Go look at the American made index I posted earlier. It notes the RWD as made in the USA. if that pack were MIC, The 3 would not be #2 on that list.

If I’m wrong, please show me some documentation where the RWD pack is made in China.

Also. It’s on the site as RWD, but the range is less than the long range so one can still consider it a standard range.

I think LR in 2023 will see an option below 55k . That's why they pulled it out so no one can order. They want to just finish old orders not showing the new price structure till 2023. If they show the new price it will upset those who already ordered and they might start canceling or not taking the delivery. $7500 credit with a lower entry price on LR is hard to pass on.
I thought this too, but I think the actual reason is the limited supply of 2170 cells. With the ramping up of MYLR (using 2170 cells) in both Texas and Germany along with no obvious increase in 2170 production capacity, it is likely they plan on producing less 2170 Model 3s for the moment.

Reactions: BigNick
Here's the way I am looking at this:
I ordered my car in May ( 55,990 ), with edd in 2 weeks. While I would love to save 7500 bucks ( who wouldn't right ? ) I am not ready to walk away from my order for, for the possibility of a rebate. I've waited a reasonable amount of time of around 4 months for delivery, so if I cancel my order now, and hypotactically could place an order on Jan 1 2023 I realistically wouldn't get that order until May of 2023 a full year after placing the original order.

Let's not forget that these cars are already in super high demand with most pre owned selling for over MSRP. My guess is if I really want to save some more money, I could place that order on Jan 1st, and sell my 22 for close to what I paid for it around the time the 23 would show up.

Last edited:
One. More. Time. Only the LFP packs are made in China.

Correct.

Both the RWD and AWD packs are American made.

Wrong. The RWD cars use a LFP pack. (As can be told by them defaulting to charge to 100%. And the manual saying that you should charge to 100% at least once a week.)

Go look at the American made index I posted earlier. It notes the RWD as made in the USA. if that pack were MIC, The 3 would not be #2 on that list.
Maybe they just don't know what they are talking about. Or maybe the number of LR Model 3s tipped the scale.

If I’m wrong, please show me some documentation where the RWD pack is made in China.

How about you show some documentation, not from a random third party, that the RWD pack is not from China and LFP?

In Q3 of 2021 Tesla said that they were switching all SRs to LFP globally:
1660496104429.png

From the North American Model 3 manual:

1660495361661.png

If it isn't the RWD version that uses LFP, which does?

BTW: I have started threads asking someone with a RWD to share either the Monroney sticker or the Additional Vehicle Information screen to 100% confirm which type of pack is used.

Reactions: freshwater
Well the Monroney sticker shows that the RWD has 25% fewer US/Canadian parts than the LR Model Y. That must be the battery pack with mainly Chinese LFP cells inside.

RWD delivered in late March in FL.View attachment 841073
It does show the final battery pack assembly is in Fremont, which surprises me.

I thought this too, but I think the actual reason is the limited supply of 2170 cells. With the ramping up of MYLR (using 2170 cells) in both Texas and Germany along with no obvious increase in 2170 production capacity, it is likely they plan on producing less 2170 Model 3s for the moment.
I think you're spot-on here. It has to be more than just the $7500 US tax rebate issue, since the M3 LR isn't available for our neighbors to the North or South right now, either. I don't think Canada and/or Mexico have a tax rebate pending the way the US does right now.

I think you're spot-on here. It has to be more than just the $7500 US tax rebate issue, since the M3 LR isn't available for our neighbors to the North or South right now, either. I don't think Canada and/or Mexico have a tax rebate pending the way the US does right now.
This makes sense to me. The question then becomes when battery production compatible with the new US incentives scales up sufficiently for North American M3LR deliveries to make sense to Tesla.

(And in my case, whether it makes sense for me to wait for that instead of taking a M3LR in September 2022. )

Correct.

Wrong. The RWD cars use a LFP pack. (As can be told by them defaulting to charge to 100%. And the manual saying that you should charge to 100% at least once a week.)

Maybe they just don't know what they are talking about. Or maybe the number of LR Model 3s tipped the scale.

How about you show some documentation, not from a random third party, that the RWD pack is not from China and LFP?

In Q3 of 2021 Tesla said that they were switching all SRs to LFP globally:
View attachment 840898

From the North American Model 3 manual:

View attachment 840886

If it isn't the RWD version that uses LFP, which does?

BTW: I have started threads asking someone with a RWD to share either the Monroney sticker or the Additional Vehicle Information screen to 100% confirm which type of pack is used.
My 3 RWD is set for delivery Friday. It’s a lithium ion pack (made in USA). You can simply plug your vin into any reputable VIN decoder to get the battery type (LFP vs.
Well the Monroney sticker shows that the RWD has 25% fewer US/Canadian parts than the LR Model Y. That must be the battery pack with mainly Chinese LFP cells inside.

It does show the final battery pack assembly is in Fremont, which surprises me.
Incorrect. I am receiving a brand new RWD with a lithium ion battery pack. Only some cars have the Chinese LFP pack. The majority do not. A simple VIN lookup tool will be able to tell you what battery is in a RWD 3.

One. More. Time. The rumor is tesla is transitioning the other factories to LFP, which will be made onsite like their lithium ION. RWD 3’s are mostly NOT LFP unless you live outside the USA.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
My 3 RWD is set for delivery Friday. It’s a lithium ion pack (made in USA). You can simply plug your vin into any reputable VIN decoder to get the battery type (LFP vs.
Can you show me a VIN decoder that tells you the battery type?

Incorrect. I am receiving a brand new RWD with a lithium ion battery pack. Only some cars have the Chinese LFP pack. The majority do not. A simple VIN lookup tool will be able to tell you what battery is in a RWD 3.
Be sure to come back when you actually get it an post a picture of your additional vehicle information screen showing the battery type.

One. More. Time. The rumor is tesla is transitioning the other factories to LFP, which will be made onsite like their lithium ION. RWD 3’s are mostly NOT LFP unless you live outside the USA.

One. More. Time. You have no idea what you are talking about. Which digit in the VIN says where the cells in the pack where made? (hint: there isn't one.)

Here is an example, 5YJ3E1EAXNF203055, decoded for you:

1660584180841.png

Yes, the car is made in Fremont, but nothing in there tells you what kind of pack it has, or where the cells in the pack came from.

Edit: This other VIN decoder says that 2022 vehicles aren't following the format precisely: (The Tesla document shows this site is wrong and the battery type is not indicated n digit 7, at least not for 2022.)

1660584697891.png

Edit 2: Here is the official VIN decoding document from Tesla that they submitted to NHTSA for 2022: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/c11fdc1d-eee9-482d-a39b-13e238d92986

1660585600232.png

Notice that digit 7 only has an option for E, they no longer specify the battery type.

One. More. Time. There is nothing in the VIN that will tell you what type of battery you are getting.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MR F and wmo168
@chexy New or used? How much will you be paying for it (without TTL)? Exactly which model, and when was it built (year + month)?

Did you *already* pay for it, and if so exactly when did you send the money? (Sounds like not but asking just in case.)
I am picking up 2022 tesla model 3 basic 42000 new is the cap lifted for the fed rebate or do I to purchase in 2023? anyone know this please help

It is not retroactive. You have to take delivery of a vehicle assembled after Dec 31, 2022. Also, I am not sure if the standard model even qualifies because of the LFP battery is not made in the US supposedly. But I am not 100% sure on that. Regardless taking delivery in 2022 does not qualify you for the rebate.