Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 RWD is set for delivery Friday. It’s a lithium ion pack (made in USA). You can simply plug your vin into any reputable VIN decoder to get the battery type (LFP vs.

Incorrect. I am receiving a brand new RWD with a lithium ion battery pack. Only some cars have the Chinese LFP pack. The majority do not. A simple VIN lookup tool will be able to tell you what battery is in a RWD 3.

One. More. Time. The rumor is tesla is transitioning the other factories to LFP, which will be made onsite like their lithium ION. RWD 3’s are mostly NOT LFP unless you live outside the USA.
I think the confusion here is that I think you are suggesting that LFP is not a Lithium Ion Battery. All of the batteries in current EV's are Lithium Ion regardless of the cell geometry (18650, 2170, 4680, Prismatic, Pouch) or cathode material (NCA, NMC, LFP). All of these are 'Lithium Ion Batteries'.

Hi all, I was reading this bill last week - I believe I read that the mineral sourcing requirement does not kick in until Jan 1, 2024, NOT 2023. This would imply that the M3 Standard Range LFP pack WILL qualify for the full $7,500 from Jan 1 2023 - Dec 31 2023. Does anyone else see this?
I don't see that, and I just re-read the bill. Both the battery and the mineral requirements kick in after the publication of proposed regulations, which are required to be published by the end of 2022. That implies that those requirements will be in force January 1, 2023 if the administration publishes proposed rules as required by the law. They don't always do that, but I'm not willing to gamble on the administration failing to fulfill its obligations under law (and to Senator Manchin).

@theganjaguru how did you delivery go today? Have you had a chance to check the information screen to see what type of HV battery is installed in it?
Delivery was delayed x2 (typical Tesla, this is my second Tesla and thus the delivery experience was the same, pushed back multiple times) . Just picked up this am.

You were correct on the vin. Doesn’t show battery type. Internet misinformation. Sadly there is even a website that purports to decide battery type.

You were wrong on battery though. Has a lithium ion which is made in USA. I’d wager a limited amount of standard range get the LFP. I was actually hoping for the Chinese made LFP because I think it’s a better battery for socal.

Pic included. Note we have the charge limit, which would be missing if we had LFP.
813C4975-C551-4A45-A2C3-EDD33340B714.jpeg

Off topic I’ve shifted my investments to add companies. American sourced battery materials.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Delivery was delayed x2 (typical Tesla, this is my second Tesla and thus the delivery experience was the same, pushed back multiple times) . Just picked up this am.

You were correct on the vin. Doesn’t show battery type. Internet misinformation. Sadly there is even a website that purports to decide battery type.

You were wrong on battery though. Has a lithium ion which is made in USA. I’d wager a limited amount of standard range get the LFP. I was actually hoping for the Chinese made LFP because I think it’s a better battery for socal.

Pic included. Note we have the charge limit, which would be missing if we had LFP.
View attachment 843390
Off topic I’ve shifted my investments to add companies. American sourced battery materials.
That is an LFP pack because it is missing the daily vs. trip limit. But check the additional vehicle information screen if you don't belive me.

While the pack is assembled in the US it is with Chinese cells. (The Monroney should show 35% US/Canadian instead of 60%.)

All RWDs are LFP.

Last edited:

View attachment 843390
You have the LFP. You are missing the daily and trip limits. Congrats. All standards are LFP.

That is an LFP pack because it is missing the daily vs. trip limit. But check the additional vehicle information screen if you don't belive me.

While the pack is assembled in the US it is with Chinese cells. (The Monroney should show 35% US/Canadian instead of 60%.)

All RWDs are LFP.
Oh snap. It doesn’t say daily. Wrong times two. Here I thought the LFP’s were missing the percentages.

Looking at additional vehicle info, it is in fact LFP this Chinese pack. I am quite happy about being wrong

Reactions: MP3Mike
I assume Model 3 RWD qualifies 50% of the new ev credit from Jan 1,2023 (percentage of battery minerals requirement increases on Jan 1,2024)
Might be true for Model Y (if it categorized as SUV)

Condition is :
1. less than 55k MSRP (for cars) and less than 80K for SUV, 150k for single filers/300k joint filers AND
2. Must be assembled in US AND
i) 40% of minerals from US trade partners (to get $3750 (50%)) --> China is not US free trade partner
OR/AND
ii) Battery manufactured in US or Assembled in US (to get $3750 (50%)) --> Even though LFP battery might be from China but assembled in US

I assume Model 3 RWD qualifies 50% of the new ev credit from Jan 1,2023 (percentage of battery minerals requirement increases on Jan 1,2024)
Might be true for Model Y (if it categorized as SUV)

Condition is :
1. less than 55k MSRP (for cars) and less than 80K for SUV, 150k for single filers/300k joint filers AND
2. Must be assembled in US AND
i) 40% of minerals from US trade partners (to get $3750 (50%)) --> China is not US free trade partner
OR/AND
ii) Battery manufactured in US or Assembled in US (to get $3750 (50%)) --> Even though LFP battery might be from China but assembled in US
That's not how I read the bill.

If the draft regulations are published by the end of 2022 as required, then come Jan 1 2023 a car with a Chinese-made battery pack qualifies for $0 because it meets neither the battery pack sourcing requirements nor the mineral requirements. If it has a pack made in the US or in a country that has a free trade agreement with the US it will likely qualify for $3,750 because the minerals in that pack are unlikely to meet the sourcing requirements. In the unlikely event that Tesla can source enough of the materials as specified in the bill, only then could your car qualify for $7,500.

M3 LR only qualifies if they drop MSRP below $55k.

That's not how I read the bill.

If the draft regulations are published by the end of 2022 as required, then come Jan 1 2023 a car with a Chinese-made battery pack qualifies for $0 because it meets neither the battery pack sourcing requirements nor the mineral requirements. If it has a pack made in the US or in a country that has a free trade agreement with the US it will likely qualify for $3,750 because the minerals in that pack are unlikely to meet the sourcing requirements. In the unlikely event that Tesla can source enough of the materials as specified in the bill, only then could your car qualify for $7,500.
It sounds to me like you are saying the same thing he did. The Model 3 RWD would qualify for $3,750 because the pack is assembled in Fremont. (The pack is not made in China, at least according to the Monroney sticker.)

It sounds to me like you are saying the same thing he did. The Model 3 RWD would qualify for $3,750 because the pack is assembled in Fremont. (The pack is not made in China, at least according to the Monroney sticker.)
the new bill advised administration to come with guidelines especially on battery requirements.. so something will be coming from biden administration.. ofcoarse lot of lobbying might occur

Just a crazy mess. If the goal is to increase EV adoption, then the bill should be simple for all consumers to quality - regardless of where the EV is made. We don't have the ability to mfg all the components and material here - that is a long road. The incentive should be for mfg's to build vehicles that the "average person" can afford - not a $60K+ one. That's what will hinder the migration to gain huge increases over the next few years.

To get mass adoption, we need the roll out of high speed chargers to start now. Would also of been best to standardize on one plug type (like they do in Europe). Given Tesla plug is slimmer in design, works better in terms of communication with the vehicles - the fed should of just adopted that standard. - assuming Tesla would sell the rights to their hardware+software - make a royalty on each KW too. We don't have two different types of electrical plugs in home nor do ICE gas stations have different plugs for different MFG.

Best to just not count on a EV rebate in the new IRA bill.

I agree the price ceiling should be lower. That said, the price ceiling is fixed regardless of future inflation, so it’s better to set it a little higher right now. At the same time, as more high price EVs come on the market, the charging infrastructure will naturally develop since there’s willingness to pay.

Hi,

I just got my VIN for my 2022 model 3 and should be taking delivery next week. Should I cancel the order and wait for the renewed $7500 tax rebate that will be applicable on purchases starting from Jan 2023?

Thanks.