Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two PW2 and a gateway 1 which were Installed 5 years ago. They do time shifting just fine but they don’t take over in a power failure and I cannot go off grid. Tesla says there is a power surge and to get it fixed by an electrician.

The house pulls 1.7-4 kW most of the time but a lot higher when my MY charges at midnight. The same tech has been out 3 times and believes the gateway is defective and says that is what he reports. L2 says it is fine. Wrote several letters to Tesla execs in Palo Alto with no response.

ideas?

I have two PW2 and a gateway 1 which were Installed 5 years ago. They do time shifting just fine but they don’t take over in a power failure and I cannot go off grid. Tesla says there is a power surge and to get it fixed by an electrician.

The house pulls 1.7-4 kW most of the time but a lot higher when my MY charges at midnight. The same tech has been out 3 times and believes the gateway is defective and says that is what he reports. L2 says it is fine. Wrote several letters to Tesla execs in Palo Alto with no response.

ideas?
4kW with surges could be a practical limitation. Can you simulate a power loss with large loads shut off and see if it transfers?

For myself, with over 3kW loads I would want 3x powerwalls.

4kW with surges could be a practical limitation. Can you simulate a power loss with large loads shut off and see if it transfers?

For myself, with over 3kW loads I would want 3x powerwalls.
Even with the the breaker from the Tesla subpanel to the house breaker panel turned off, the gateway still reported a surge. That is why he thinks the Gateway needs to be replaced.

Even with the the breaker from the Tesla subpanel to the house breaker panel turned off, the gateway still reported a surge. That is why he thinks the Gateway needs to be replaced.
It might be better to shut off any breakers for HVAC, oven, water heater, or other ones over 30A so that you maintain some load and the proper system configuration to test. No load can have its own caveats.

The gateway is likely bad, but armed with this kind of test that you document, go back to L2 support and ask what specific test procedure they need in order to confirm the gateway requires replacement.

It might be better to shut off any breakers for HVAC, oven, water heater, or other ones over 30A so that you maintain some load and the proper system configuration to test. No load can have its own caveats.

The gateway is likely bad, but armed with this kind of test that you document, go back to L2 support and ask what specific test procedure they need in order to confirm the gateway requires replacement.
The only breakers over 20A are the oven and Tesla wall adaptor. Furnace and water heater are gas. The tech did that too and it still failed. L2 just won’t listen.

Reactions: Patrick66
Powerwall+ was installed with a Gateway, a second Powerwall, Tesla solar roof, and Backup Gateway - two years ago.

Back in December, started noticing some quirks, and then yesterday, was seeing “no data” from the app.

I contacted Tier 1 support via the app, had me reset the system, would connect to WiFi then “forget”. Had me log in to the Gateway directly via web interface, and the Gateway kept giving an error (nonsensical to me - something about “Sitemaster needs a default real mode”.

She said she created a case and ticket for Tier 2, and someone to make a site visit.

The app says, “The technical team is working on your request."

Powerwall+ was installed with a Gateway, a second Powerwall, Tesla solar roof, and Backup Gateway - two years ago.

Back in December, started noticing some quirks, and then yesterday, was seeing “no data” from the app.

I contacted Tier 1 support via the app, had me reset the system, would connect to WiFi then “forget”. Had me log in to the Gateway directly via web interface, and the Gateway kept giving an error (nonsensical to me - something about “Sitemaster needs a default real mode”.

She said she created a case and ticket for Tier 2, and someone to make a site visit.

The app says, “The technical team is working on your request."
Same situation (no data) happened to my system this Wednesday, I called the support and he raised a Tier 2 case. Called again on Thursday morning and the other Tier 1 support guided me to login to Sitemaster and found the same error “Sitemaster needs a default real mode”, she told me it is relatively quick for Tier 2 to reconfigure what's needed remotely and Tier 2 fixed the issue in the afternoon remotely. My system is back to normal now, but everything (settings, utility plan etc) was wiped out.

• Informative
Reactions: Joesmoe3
Same situation (no data) happened to my system this Wednesday, I called the support and he raised a Tier 2 case. Called again on Thursday morning and the other Tier 1 support guided me to login to Sitemaster and found the same error “Sitemaster needs a default real mode”, she told me it is relatively quick for Tier 2 to reconfigure what's needed remotely and Tier 2 fixed the issue in the afternoon remotely. My system is back to normal now, but everything (settings, utility plan etc) was wiped out.
I would think they tried that already . . . in any case, the appointment is set for day after tomorrow.