Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on what the article said, that roof probably never should have had solar installed on it without the roof being re-done first. I think this is one of the grey areas of solar where people are super excited to put some panels on their roof, but their home may not be a good candidate for it (roof, main service panels, shading, etc)... but solar-sales-folks will push too hard on the sale. But then after the solar goes up there, a homeowner will need speedy fixes if problems arise. But I don't think large corporate installers commit enough resources for this long-tail. I mean car warranties are usually 3 to 5 years. Solar often goes 15 to 25. That's nuts.
" home may not be a good candidate for it (roof, main service panels, shading, etc)... but solar-sales-folks will push too hard on the sale"

It is not always the case. Tesla Energy solar was the cheapest cost that I was able to find. When they did the shading analysis, they refused to install solar panels. I even told them that I will sign a paper that releases the company from future legal challenges due to power production. They did not agree. I had to separate my solar installation from PW installation. Solar panels from a local installer cost me double the cost of Tesla. The good part was my panels were installed and operational in less than a month. MY PW showed up 6 months later. The moral of the story, sometimes it is hard to make a big company to move to the direction you want even you are ready to take the responsibility.

I think most people want DTC for sales, but they still want good post-sale service. Having the best of both worlds is hard to do with high-cost consumer goods sold at high volume. I believe getting rid of the franchises makes the sales funnel faster/better, but it completely blows up the after-sale service component.

I don't know a single Tesla owner who likes Tesla Auto's after sale support. Every one of my neighbors says Tesla SSSUUUCCCKKKS with 0-stars-out-of-5 stories. And can give me dozens of terrible experiences. But they keep buying the cars because there are no other EV options and having an EV is all cool and stuff (also gas cost me $4.86 / gallon yesterday). They all have to go to the same Tesla dealer (Dubliln, CA). Does Tesla care? hell to the no. TSLA keeps selling them cars and making all the money. Definitely not consumer friendly out here.
They can go to Berkeley too, which I had a good experience with (for both visits). The one on SF Vanness has even more openings.

The biggest problem I have experienced is just very long lead times for parts (which having dealers would not likely solve).

Also everything is largely done on the app, and usually it is them that initiates calls or texts for anything that comes up. If you are the type that likes to make calls and speak to a person directly, you would be fairly frustrated.

I believe this is true of just corporate CS also, I used the chat and had a good experience each time. But others that called had a bad experience due to having a hard time reaching anyone.

Can't speak to how Tesla Energy operates however (don't know how the service and repair is done for that).

" home may not be a good candidate for it (roof, main service panels, shading, etc)... but solar-sales-folks will push too hard on the sale"

It is not always the case. Tesla Energy solar was the cheapest cost that I was able to find. When they did the shading analysis, they refused to install solar panels. I even told them that I will sign a paper that releases the company from future legal challenges due to power production. They did not agree. I had to separate my solar installation from PW installation. Solar panels from a local installer cost me double the cost of Tesla. The good part was my panels were installed and operational in less than a month. MY PW showed up 6 months later. The moral of the story, sometimes it is hard to make a big company to move to the direction you want even you are ready to take the responsibility.

Yeah, maybe the new Tesla Energy process is different than the Solar City approach. The homeowners in the article seem to be customers from back in the day when they had a more aggressive sales funnels, partners, etc). Tesla Energy also told me they didn't like my house and to look elsewhere (Sunrun).

Reactions: Oceanwolf
They can go to Berkeley too, which I had a good experience with (for both visits). The one on SF Vanness has even more openings.

The biggest problem I have experienced is just very long lead times for parts (which having dealers would not likely solve).

Also everything is largely done on the app, and usually it is them that initiates calls or texts for anything that comes up. If you are the type that likes to make calls and speak to a person directly, you would be fairly frustrated.

I believe this is true of just corporate CS also, I used the chat and had a good experience each time. But others that called had a bad experience due to having a hard time reaching anyone.

Can't speak to how Tesla Energy operates however (don't know how the service and repair is done for that).

Lol I'm not driving to Berkeley ... 580 up that way or San Pablo are like... turrible. I think their problems really just stem into blaming the owner for something and forcing the owner to defend themselves instead of just fixing things. I don't think it was how the communication worked. I think it was that Tesla blames the operator for the problem and won't honor warranty. Explains why their warranty expense is so low hah.

For example, three of my neighbors have Model Xs from 2015 and 2016 (I guess they experienced one of those keepin' up with the Jonses things lolz). Couple of them of them said the fancy gullwing doors jammed but Tesla refused to just own up and fix it at first without making a big deal out of it. They tried blaming the owner's kids from hanging on the door or maybe the cars weren't garaged. Like they went back and forth a bunch about how it was operator error or damage to to the mechanism instead of just taking a look and fixing it under warranty. They also wouldn't fix issues with their keycards not reading in the car even after replacement and other seemingly weird things that I figure Tesla would be able to remedy without raising a stink about it.

I don't know how the "self presenting" doors on an X work... but the passenger side front door would literally fling open and smack the ever living crap out of whatever was next to it with massive force. But this was "normal" according to Tesla hahah. Like... are the X doors really that fickle? Those X's are so expensive hah.

Lol I'm not driving to Berkeley ... 580 up that way or San Pablo are like... turrible. I think their problems really just stem into blaming the owner for something and forcing the owner to defend themselves instead of just fixing things. I don't think it was how the communication worked. I think it was that Tesla blames the operator for the problem and won't honor warranty. Explains why their warranty expense is so low hah.

For example, three of my neighbors have Model Xs from 2015 and 2016 (I guess they experienced one of those keepin' up with the Jonses things lolz). Couple of them of them said the fancy gullwing doors jammed but Tesla refused to just own up and fix it at first without making a big deal out of it. They tried blaming the owner's kids from hanging on the door or maybe the cars weren't garaged. Like they went back and forth a bunch about how it was operator error or damage to to the mechanism instead of just taking a look and fixing it under warranty. They also wouldn't fix issues with their keycards not reading in the car even after replacement and other seemingly weird things that I figure Tesla would be able to remedy without raising a stink about it.

I don't know how the "self presenting" doors on an X work... but the passenger side front door would literally fling open and smack the ever living crap out of whatever was next to it with massive force. But this was "normal" according to Tesla hahah. Like... are the X doors really that fickle? Those X's are so expensive hah.

The mobile ranger (what tesla calls their mobile car service) who was just at my home replacing my 12v battery and I had a friendly chat while he was working. Super nice guy. Anyway, the mobile rangers used to drive ICE vehicles but now have model S or X vehicles. We were chatting about tesla vehicles, and he said :

"My favorite right now is the Y, those are super solid, next is the 3.. my wife wants a Y". I said " how do you like the X? He said "I would never, ever own a model X, the doors are too fickle" then gave me some examples of various issues the doors have. Ask someone who fixes it how it really is, lol. He said the techs hate those doors.

The mobile ranger (what tesla calls their mobile car service) who was just at my home replacing my 12v battery and I had a friendly chat while he was working. Super nice guy. Anyway, the mobile rangers used to drive ICE vehicles but now have model S or X vehicles. We were chatting about tesla vehicles, and he said :

"My favorite right now is the Y, those are super solid, next is the 3.. my wife wants a Y". I said " how do you like the X? He said "I would never, ever own a model X, the doors are too fickle" then gave me some examples of various issues the doors have. Ask someone who fixes it how it really is, lol. He said the techs hate those doors.

You literally had a mobile ranger at your house when I posted my rant about X doors? I'd get an X, if I could afford an X :p

You literally had a mobile ranger at your house when I posted my rant about X doors? I'd get an X, if I could afford an X :p

Nah, the mobile ranger was here last week. While the ranger was replacing my battery, I offered him a can of sparkling water from my garage fridge. He said "that would be great, thank you very much!" and when I came back with it, we started chatting about "tesla stuff" (both cars and tesla energy, actually). previously, in my career, I used to be a mobile computer technician, so am familiar with the "workflow" of at home / in home service.

Nah, the mobile ranger was here last week. While the ranger was replacing my battery, I offered him a can of sparkling water from my garage fridge. He said "that would be great, thank you very much!" and when I came back with it, we started chatting about "tesla stuff" (both cars and tesla energy, actually). previously, in my career, I used to be a mobile computer technician, so am familiar with the "workflow" of at home / in home service.

Oh ok so I guess the narratives about the doors being whack aren't whack. Still sucks for the mobile rangers that have to fix them though. I doubt this is the type of repair that is often successful when done in the field. Probably needs a good workspace to take stuff apart and check the mechanism on a bench.

I'm speaking both about Tesla Energy and Tesla Automotive. One thing you should consider is that the automotive industry is much more evolved than the PV+ESS industry. So while Tesla Energy is doing some less-than-stellar behaviors in this mostly emerging space, the stuff Tesla Auto is doing is also carefully constructed to be consumer-unfriendly (but of course with the guise it's actually new/better).

Naturally I do expect to get mega-downvoted by all the fanbois for this sentiment hah.

First let's talk about the lack of independently owned showrooms. This is a divisive topic, but my personal opinion is that Tesla is abusing the ever living hell out of the fact they don't have to franchise (except in Texas!) while every other major automaker has to conform with state franchise laws. When an automaker has independent showrooms, customers can go to the specific showroom of their choice that they believe provides the best service and experience. Customers can also form a relationship with the independent franchise for some concept of long-term loyalty. There is reputational risk if one franchise doesn't perform to the standards set by others, the competition necessitates that they all try to perform at a pretty high standard.

But Tesla showrooms are just... corporate channel arms. They are a sterile means to get hastily assembled inventory from the factory into the hands of a customer. Look at Tesla's incredibly difficult after-sales support, poor PD quality, dismissal of of the "no hassle return", and understaffed customer relations is proof that Tesla is abusing their direct-to-consumer approach today. If any other automaker treated their customers after the sale like Tesla does... they'd have hell to pay. But Tesla gets away with it because of Elon and the amazing tech of their vehicles.

Tesla experience can be completely trash or completely great but either way customers have no choices. And that is why long term it is bad for the customer. One customer can be quoted $16,000 to fix a dented battery, or get a car delivered with a flat tire. There is no market competitive drive for these customer facing arms to perform at a high level. Contrast that with a BMW of North America... if some dealership doesn't white-glove every customer, they could actually lose precious/valuable vehicle allocation. If an overworked Tesla rep does a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, nobody will give AF.

Next let's move to that magical flat pricing experience. While I know car buyers really like removing the sales/friction from a transaction, things aren't actually beneficial for the customer by Tesla having done this across most of their USA sales channel. Teslas trade at a hefty premium compared to other autos because their pricing is non-negotiable. To make the transaction affordable, Tesla relies on government subsidies and some other spiffs to make the equitation more attractive. But this margin manipulation goes straight into Tesla's pockets and lets Elon take trips to the moon.

If you asked the average car buyer what a hard-negotiation was worth in terms of $ in their pocket, most people would actually agree that saving $3,000 by having to go through a 3 hour negotiation is worth the few hours of pain. What people want in a perfect world is to get a $3,000 discount without the pain at all. But Tesla isn't offering this pain free low-price deal. Tesla is simply removing the negotiation from the equitation and asking the government to step in with rebates to close the gap.

For example, if you talk to car buyers living near Detroit, you'll learn lhat none of the auto dealers up there negotiate on pricing. This is because everyone up there knows someone in the biz, and typically they get access to the A-Plan, X-Plan, S-Plan, blah blah. And there are just amazing lease packages that are managed by the automaker's captive financing arms. These car sales still make the automaker money, make the dealership money. And I'm willing to go out on a limb and say people buying these cars had a great experience and got a good price on their vehicles. That is the experience people want; what they get with Tesla is a bastardized system that would have failed as a consumer-viable solution if not for government kickbacks incentives. Look at how many people gamed the "heavy truck" tax BS on the Model X.

Of course Tesla's tech is second to none, and justifies Tesla bending the rules and getting away with it. The other automakers are decades behind in terms of catching up with what Tesla offers. There aren't many good, competitive choices at this time. And Tesla should benefit from the competitive advantage because that's what companies do when they have the lead. I don't mean only in terms of the tech in the car or the UI, Tesla's supply chain is light years ahead of everyone else since Tesla basically owns their entire car end to end instead of other automakers that source from ZF, Getrag, Bosch, JCI, Harman, Visteon, blah blah blah. Tesla should be commended for beating dozens of entrenched and well capitalized automakers at their own game. That is beyond impressive.

Bottom line, Tesla has the best tech, but this should not distract that their business practices are unfriendly to consumers.

I think the hope was modularity along with fewer mechanical linkages and moving parts there would be more reliability and fewer quality issues so less service. This seems reasonable and one would expect EV’s to have greater reliability and fewer defects, but as Musk stated “production is hell”. We’ll see as more companies manufacture EV’s. It’s obvious the focus is not on quality so if Deming is correct focusing on quality should increase the quality of the result and lower cost over time. However, if cost is the driver than cost will rise and quality will decline. So you are correct in assuming to balance the equation service will suffer in that increasing service to the level required would be unsustainable. Pay attention to what happens to servicing other products like appliances as inflation eats into everyone’s budget, my guess is service will be the first casualty. If the spiral continues cost cutting measures will be put into place and quality will suffer even more.

I'm speaking both about Tesla Energy and Tesla Automotive. One thing you should consider is that the automotive industry is much more evolved than the PV+ESS industry. So while Tesla Energy is doing some less-than-stellar behaviors in this mostly emerging space, the stuff Tesla Auto is doing is also carefully constructed to be consumer-unfriendly (but of course with the guise it's actually new/better).

Naturally I do expect to get mega-downvoted by all the fanbois for this sentiment hah.

First let's talk about the lack of independently owned showrooms. This is a divisive topic, but my personal opinion is that Tesla is abusing the ever living hell out of the fact they don't have to franchise (except in Texas!) while every other major automaker has to conform with state franchise laws. When an automaker has independent showrooms, customers can go to the specific showroom of their choice that they believe provides the best service and experience. Customers can also form a relationship with the independent franchise for some concept of long-term loyalty. There is reputational risk if one franchise doesn't perform to the standards set by others, the competition necessitates that they all try to perform at a pretty high standard.

But Tesla showrooms are just... corporate channel arms. They are a sterile means to get hastily assembled inventory from the factory into the hands of a customer. Look at Tesla's incredibly difficult after-sales support, poor PD quality, dismissal of of the "no hassle return", and understaffed customer relations is proof that Tesla is abusing their direct-to-consumer approach today. If any other automaker treated their customers after the sale like Tesla does... they'd have hell to pay. But Tesla gets away with it because of Elon and the amazing tech of their vehicles.

Tesla experience can be completely trash or completely great but either way customers have no choices. And that is why long term it is bad for the customer. One customer can be quoted $16,000 to fix a dented battery, or get a car delivered with a flat tire. There is no market competitive drive for these customer facing arms to perform at a high level. Contrast that with a BMW of North America... if some dealership doesn't white-glove every customer, they could actually lose precious/valuable vehicle allocation. If an overworked Tesla rep does a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, nobody will give AF.

Next let's move to that magical flat pricing experience. While I know car buyers really like removing the sales/friction from a transaction, things aren't actually beneficial for the customer by Tesla having done this across most of their USA sales channel. Teslas trade at a hefty premium compared to other autos because their pricing is non-negotiable. To make the transaction affordable, Tesla relies on government subsidies and some other spiffs to make the equitation more attractive. But this margin manipulation goes straight into Tesla's pockets and lets Elon take trips to the moon.

If you asked the average car buyer what a hard-negotiation was worth in terms of $ in their pocket, most people would actually agree that saving $3,000 by having to go through a 3 hour negotiation is worth the few hours of pain. What people want in a perfect world is to get a $3,000 discount without the pain at all. But Tesla isn't offering this pain free low-price deal. Tesla is simply removing the negotiation from the equitation and asking the government to step in with rebates to close the gap.

For example, if you talk to car buyers living near Detroit, you'll learn lhat none of the auto dealers up there negotiate on pricing. This is because everyone up there knows someone in the biz, and typically they get access to the A-Plan, X-Plan, S-Plan, blah blah. And there are just amazing lease packages that are managed by the automaker's captive financing arms. These car sales still make the automaker money, make the dealership money. And I'm willing to go out on a limb and say people buying these cars had a great experience and got a good price on their vehicles. That is the experience people want; what they get with Tesla is a bastardized system that would have failed as a consumer-viable solution if not for government kickbacks incentives. Look at how many people gamed the "heavy truck" tax BS on the Model X.

Of course Tesla's tech is second to none, and justifies Tesla bending the rules and getting away with it. The other automakers are decades behind in terms of catching up with what Tesla offers. There aren't many good, competitive choices at this time. And Tesla should benefit from the competitive advantage because that's what companies do when they have the lead. I don't mean only in terms of the tech in the car or the UI, Tesla's supply chain is light years ahead of everyone else since Tesla basically owns their entire car end to end instead of other automakers that source from ZF, Getrag, Bosch, JCI, Harman, Visteon, blah blah blah. Tesla should be commended for beating dozens of entrenched and well capitalized automakers at their own game. That is beyond impressive.

Bottom line, Tesla has the best tech, but this should not distract that their business practices are unfriendly to consumers.

Wow ... I thought you might have an interesting response :) I get your points about Tesla Auto but to me there is a significant qualitative difference from Tesla Energy in terms of severity and proportional volume of serious customer complaints.

Wow ... I thought you might have an interesting response :) I get your points about Tesla Auto but to me there is a significant qualitative difference from Tesla Energy in terms of severity and proportional volume of serious customer complaints.

From the two forums that I moderate here on TMC (model 3 and energy), The complaints, such that they are, are very similar, and "feel" like a similar volume, if you think about the volume of product being sold of each one.

The main difference I see (speaking in VERY VERY general terms), is that tesla auto support (service centers) has become somewhat numb to complaints, because for every valid complaint, there are 4 "but my car doesnt get its rated range ?!?!?!?!?!" ones, or similar things that people escalate that are not really something they can do anything about.

Getting someone to "care" about you is a bit harder in tesla auto than energy, because the front line workers (service center) have become numb to the complaints. Those same front line workers in tesla energy are the sales advisors, and they also are numb to those complaints, but its easier for them to ignore someone because contact is only phone / email. Its harder to ignore someone who is in front of you. Because tesla auto front line staff have had to take the complaints "face to face" they have become more hardened to it / numb to it.

In general, when you get someone in front of you in tesla energy, (installers), they are great. I also had a great recent experience with a mobile ranger, but that was AFTER he showed up, and was hesitant, because my car didnt show 12V battery errors in the logs but I was asking for it to be replaced anyway. I could totally tell that he thought he was in for a conversation about "why I needed to pay for something that is under warranty", when I already knew I was replacing it on my own dime and told him as much.

You could visibly see the tension relax from his body. We then had a great conversation, and I learned some stuff actually.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Getting someone to "care" about you is a bit harder in tesla auto than energy, because the front line workers (service center) have become numb to the complaints. Those same front line workers in tesla energy are the sales advisors, and they also are numb to those complaints, but its easier for them to ignore someone because contact is only phone / email. Its harder to ignore someone who is in front of you. Because tesla auto front line staff have had to take the complaints "face to face" they have become more hardened to it / numb to it.

This is a big part of what I see. Tesla Energy "advisors" ghosting customers seems far beyond what you see for Tesla Auto or most other companies. It's been happening for so long that excuses (overworked, etc.) just don't fly.

This is a big part of what I see. Tesla Energy "advisors" ghosting customers seems far beyond what you see for Tesla Auto or most other companies. It's been happening for so long that excuses (overworked, etc.) just don't fly.

"overworked" doesnt change with time, so not sure why you dont think that is a cause. Doesnt make it right (I am not saying that), but unless tesla changes staffing policies, which they are unlikely to do in my opinion, this wont change. If you have ever been overworked for a long time, in a customer service role (I have), you understand what that can do to you.

Being overworked in general is tough, but when you have a role that is supposed to be customer service friendly, responsive, etc, but the company is not taking care of YOU that way, its very easy to just start thinking "im just here to collect my paycheck so i can pay my bills". Its hard to care, when overworked, and customer service roles depend on people at least giving the appearance of caring.

Yeah, that's why those warranty accrual statistics I posted are so frustrating to see when paired with the continued influx of Tesla customers who struggle with after-sales service. Tesla is already setting a huge pile of money aside, they just won't spend it. Maybe it's because Elon wants some robot to do everything and hates hiring people. But Tesla is sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars of extra warranty and service liability that could fund some amazing after-sales service and support.

From the two forums that I moderate here on TMC (model 3 and energy), The complaints, such that they are, are very similar, and "feel" like a similar volume, if you think about the volume of product being sold of each one.

The main difference I see (speaking in VERY VERY general terms), is that tesla auto support (service centers) has become somewhat numb to complaints, because for every valid complaint, there are 4 "but my car doesnt get its rated range ?!?!?!?!?!" ones, or similar things that people escalate that are not really something they can do anything about.

In general, when you get someone in front of you in tesla energy, (installers), they are great. I also had a great recent experience with a mobile ranger, but that was AFTER he showed up, and was hesitant, because my car didnt show 12V battery errors in the logs but I was asking for it to be replaced anyway. I could totally tell that he thought he was in for a conversation about "why I needed to pay for something that is under warranty", when I already knew I was replacing it on my own dime and told him as much.

You could visibly see the tension relax from his body. We then had a great conversation, and I learned some stuff actually.

Are complaints always subjective? I like to look at this dilemma another way by finding the qualitative and quantitative driving subjectivity. Qualitatively we seek understanding (i.e. human behavior). Quantitatively it’s causation (i.e. what went wrong). The simple solution is to fix a problem (service) the best solution is fix the issue (quality). Fewer issues fewer services calls. People get angry does it help; is it justifiable? I'll leave that to the reader.

“If someone's ungrateful and you tell him he's ungrateful, okay, you've called him a name. You haven't solved anything.” Robert Pirsig.

Are complaints always subjective? I like to look at this dilemma another way by finding the qualitative and quantitative driving subjectivity. Qualitatively we seek understanding (i.e. human behavior). Quantitatively it’s causation (i.e. what went wrong). The simple solution is to fix a problem (service) the best solution is fix the issue (quality). Fewer issues fewer services calls. People get angry does it help; is it justifiable? I'll leave that to the reader.

“If someone's ungrateful and you tell him he's ungrateful, okay, you've called him a name. You haven't solved anything.” Robert Pirsig.

I am not getting the point you are attempting to make here, except to say that your post sounds like the thoughts and opinions of someone who has never had to stand in front of someone you are trying to help, who is yelling at you for no reason.

Reactions: Electrph
"overworked" doesnt change with time, so not sure why you dont think that is a cause. Doesnt make it right (I am not saying that), but unless tesla changes staffing policies, which they are unlikely to do in my opinion, this wont change. If you have ever been overworked for a long time, in a customer service role (I have), you understand what that can do to you.

Being overworked in general is tough, but when you have a role that is supposed to be customer service friendly, responsive, etc, but the company is not taking care of YOU that way, its very easy to just start thinking "im just here to collect my paycheck so i can pay my bills". Its hard to care, when overworked, and customer service roles depend on people at least giving the appearance of caring.

I certainly appreciate how people can be overworked and very familiar with colleagues who have died from "karoshi" but I don't see overworked employees as an acceptable excuse for a company providing bad/unprofessional customer service.

What I experienced is a big disconnect between support, scheduling, and operations. Local operations never knew I had a problem. When the problem was escalated (up to a TE VP and the head of regional operations) a plan was devised and a date set. No one showed (wasn't on the schedule). Now if I could drive my home into a service center ... ?

I certainly appreciate how people can be overworked and very familiar with colleagues who have died from "karoshi" but I don't see overworked employees as an acceptable excuse for a company providing bad/unprofessional customer service.

I dont believe I said it was "acceptable for the company". Understanding the reason something is the way it is doesnt mean that the reason is "ok"