Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the verge of ordering Tesla Solar here in Northern California and am really concerned about what I am reading on the forum and the thousands of ranting one-star Yelp reviews. Not sure I can have another Comcast in my life...
Comcast will roll a truck within 24 hours, which is certainly far better than tesla. Tier 2 Tesla is backed up from 2-3 days (their stated response time) to 10+ days. Upside (I hope) is that the system(s) should be fairly stable once the initial shake out period. Hopefully. My only suggestion is once you get to "waiting for PTO" you gotta call PG&E at least once a week to find out what they're waiting on, then call Tesla to find out why they haven't answered...

I am on the verge of ordering Tesla Solar here in Northern California and am really concerned about what I am reading on the forum and the thousands of ranting one-star Yelp reviews. Not sure I can have another Comcast in my life...
Then I would recommend a third party with five star Yelp reviews, or make peace with the probability that you may be spending hours and hours dealing with Tesla, whether it is trying to chivvy them along for a regulatory filing, or to finish the project, or to get things working, or repair that flashing so that it doesn't leak.

I would point out that there is a price for everything. Even if you aren't working, you do have an effective billable rate for every hour in your life. Would you pay $100\hr to walk someone else through why having a defective wiring impacts you and your system? Nineteen times? Do you get aggravated dealing with fifteen different people trying to fix a problem, or do you thrive on conflict? Would you rather be on the phone with a new hire in rural Nevada who can't find their way through the customer service menu, or watching the sunset in your backyard, or watching TV?

It is roulette; you may get a perfectly fine installation with zero issues. You may not. If you don't, it is you who will be you troubleshooting and running project management. But nobody here knows the probabilities; it isn't zero and it isn't 100%.

Bottom line: only you can make the decision on whether spending an additional $XXXX not to have to potentially deal with Tesla is worth it to you or not.

Last edited:

To be fair, there are some Tesla solar customers who have 0 issues and a quick PTO (relatively). A lot of those seem to have occurred maybe 1-2 years ago though BEFORE the fear/rush of NEM3.0 coming soon. You also have to deal with possible weather delays if you have a 2+ story house now and lack of installers (I hear they are busy and there are also supply delays).

My PTO was less than 1 week (non Tesla solar) so even though I did my research here and freaked out about it, it was quick for my PTO (SDG&E).

You are, unfortunately in PG&E territory. We pay more than you in energy, but PG&E seems really bad from what I see here on PTO.

Also note, people go Tesla Solar because it's the cheapest. From what I've been reading now, it's not 'that' cheap anymore. People are quoting $2.40/kW vs. $2.00 or less earlier.

If you aren't saving money, don't go Tesla IMO. If your house is complex, I'd suggest avoiding Tesla too (may waste months before they tell you, nope, can't install for you (metal roofs)).

Reactions: goldengate
Going with third party is not an option if I want a Powerwall... all the third party solar suppliers here can't get Powerwalls and are recommending Enphase. One local company went so far as to say that due to the battery composition of Powerwalls, they are an extreme fire hazard and therefore I should purchase Enphase. If it weren't the the Powerwall shortage, I would gladly go with a third party.

Going with third party is not an option if I want a Powerwall... all the third party solar suppliers here can't get Powerwalls and are recommending Enphase. One local company went so far as to say that due to the battery composition of Powerwalls, they are an extreme fire hazard and therefore I should purchase Enphase. If it weren't the the Powerwall shortage, I would gladly go with a third party.
I hear you. I went with a third party to get Powerwalls, and waited fifteen months, but that doesn't stop me from having to deal with Tesla. I am around ninety days post install, and still don't have a fully functioning system. All on Tesla.

I find Tesla's lack of concern about not delivering a fully working product to be novel. They have admitted that certain parts aren't functional, but then have gone on to tell me that I don't actually need them. :rolleyes: "Perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that you sold them to me and I paid for them..." and those aren't even the bits I am trying to get Tesla to fix. "Current meters? Who needs current meters?" Oh, and still waiting for Tesla to send PG&E discharge data that was requested a month ago.

If I were doing it now, I would be considering Enphase seriously now that they have a few more hours on their batteries. I have zero issues with Enphase's highly responsive and proactive service group. Oh, and their app just works.

YMWV...

BG

I went with Enphase due to the same delay/issue with powerwall from 3rd parties and was super set on Powerwalls when I started my research. I'm happy with Enphase personally. Tesla's are thinner, but the new Enphase 10T is ~7.5 inches I think vs. 12+ inches for the old one. Also works now with a generator if you want to have that option.

I personally like LFP more due to perceived (real or not) safety. You can stab it and it won't combust (or so I think/see youtube videos).

(no, I don't work for them nor own the stock!)

Any idea on cost of third party vs. Tesla... (I know, I should call one... but the last time I did that it was like a swarm of sales locusts...)

Tesla 8.5 kW system is about $25K with one powerwall before tax breaks etc. I am guessing one of our local companies (Solarcraft is one of the best up here in Marin County) is going to be significantly more and no Tesla... ? (genuinely want your thoughts, I'm not being stubborn on this..)

Just found my neighbor's price quote from Solarcraft... one Enphase 16.8 kW system is $25,000... without the solar panels...seems insanely expensive compared to Tesla...
Part of that cost is the service you will receive during install and after. Personally, the savings was worth the headache for me and luckily it hasn’t been all that bad compared to other stories here on the forums. At the time Tesla also had 0.99% financing which made it an easy decision, but I also knew my install would be fairly straight forward as my roof is new and had a good location in the garage near the main panel for the Powerwalls. I’ve had to follow up with Tesla on a few occasions to move things along, but my system has been running since it was installed and have only paid Tesla a small deposit so I am not too worried about it. I can only hope that my system doesn’t have any issues as I am sure it will be a huge pain to try to get someone out here to fix it.

Ok, I will look there. I was looking at the battery itself but did not think to look at the inverter; all the red danger stickers scared me away from looking there both for safety reasons and fear of voiding any warranties. Thanks @dailo !
I ordered my system late April, install completed last week of September, and waiting for Tesla to complete application for PTO with FPL. To not use foul language to describe the experience is to give too much credit to Tesla. Working with the crew who service SW FL (Tampa) has been awful, and I am being nice. Tesla does not hustle or make any attempt to satisfy the customer. Take or leave it is the attitude, kind of, because they know, when they've put holes in your roof and walls, you're committed.

Lessons learned -
1. DO NOT TRUST TESLA! I know that sounds mean, but it's vital that throughout the process you follow this one simple rule. If you find you're saying to yourself, "It's Tesla. I trust them.", you are making a HUGE mistake. Remember, it's really Solar City. I kind of understand now how they were on the verge of bankruptcy.
2. It's you vs them. If they can cut a corner they will. You have no one advocating for you. "Your customer service advisor is here to help," is the automate message you receive when calling Tesla. I haven't heard from or spoken or communicated in anyway to my advisor since May! The people you speak to really do not know the product. If you have a technical question, they will not be able to answer it. They don't know or understand the technical details of the product and how it all works together. They'll talk in circles and conflate things. They'll tell you the system can do more than what is on the specifications sheet. The customer service reps are very nice and polite, but, I would bet they've never even seen a system installed or operating.
3. Having everything put down in writing. Communicate with email.
4. Know what you are getting. Nothing worse than spending many thousands of dollars and not getting what you expected. Know what they are going to pay for, ie inspections, utility fees, etc. Be specific and know what you are getting = number and make and model of solar panels, how many separate arrays to be installed, how many strings (DC to inverter) to be installed, number of and make and model of inverter, number make and model of powerwall. Do the math yourself to know what output to expect. The estimate Tesla gives you is pulled out of you know where. You can have all the panels in the world, it's the strings of panels and the inverter(s) that will be the limiting factor. DO NOT BUY the large or extra large systems if you're not getting maximum number of strings and inverter capacity. It's a waste of money. The large system with one 7.6 kWh inverter will produce about the same as a medium with the same inverter.
5. It's going to take a lot longer than you ever imagined. Mentally be prepared for a process that will take 10x what they estimate. 2 days to install, for a small simple system on asphalt shingle one story roof - maybe. Otherwise, no way. Just to frame it for you, here in Florida, minimum 60-days for them to process your application for PTO. Then utility has 30 days from application to install meter and activate net metering. This all after installation and inspection is complete. (and the inspection is virtual. The Tesla inspector doesn't come to you house. They just reference pictures the installers take. The building inspector comes to the house, but has no clue, and signs off on the permit from the pictures.)

Good Luck

Not all Installers have this issue, PM me if you want a recommendation for ones that have stock of Powerwalls.

As far as talking about Tesla Powerwalls being fire dangers, I strongly disagree. Which installer was making this claim?

So we decided on the solar roof + powerwall combo back in July. In August, they installed the roof. In September, they installed the battery and the rest of the equipment. In October, they replaced my main panel.

However, when they came to connect the main panel to the solar equipment, I was informed that the main panel was not installed according to code (too close to gas line) and now Tesla is completely silent on what the next step will be. I cannot get in touch with anyone who can answer any of my questions.

My previous home solar installation took one week. This process has so far taken almost six months. This can't be normal right? In addition to that, I cannot reach ANYONE who knows anything about my project, including my project advisor. Any advice here?

This is the Alameda County, CA
If Tesla is ghosting you then start legal proceedings. A letter may start the wheels moving

How long has it been since you were able to discuss this project with Tesla?

Is your service overhead or underground?

If you are comfortable sharing the city or county who does the inspections?

How far is the main panel away from the meter? Can you take a picture of the wall near the gas meter?

Usually a "Like for like" swap of the service panel is allowed to be in the same location as the original panel if that is the only change. Not sure about your utility.

Hi VInes, You seem very knowledgeable about tesla energy problems. I have a read a few of your posts and I'm wondering if we could talk on the phone sometime. If so please send me a DM. My membership is new so I can't direct message you unfortunately.

If Tesla is ghosting you then start legal proceedings. A letter may start the wheels moving

How long has it been since you were able to discuss this project with Tesla?

Is your service overhead or underground?

If you are comfortable sharing the city or county who does the inspections?

How far is the main panel away from the meter? Can you take a picture of the wall near the gas meter?

Usually a "Like for like" swap of the service panel is allowed to be in the same location as the original panel if that is the only change. Not sure about your utility.

Last discussion was around end of october when they scheduled a crew to connect the panel to the solar equipment. When they got here, they told me they cannot do the installation because of the main panel.

My service is underground. This is in Castro Valley, unincorporated Alameda County.

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 62