Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Neurio device has been installed, and I did NOT connect with my wifi, the Tesla app appears to be showing me all the information, so likely there is a cellular modem in it. (I am PV system only). So, how does one connect with my Neurio? Will Tesla provide me with the password if I request it?

And an update about my panel misalignment issue. Customer service now tell me that they cannot see any report about it and asked me to submit a photo for the assessment/ review again, which I did. They will review the photo and get back to me. So, 2 reports to customer service, 4 weeks apart, and still no progress.
Thanks,

My Neurio connects to the inverter's wifi and the inverter's wifi is connected to my home wifi. They added my Neurio monitor recently to my system and didn't have my home wifi password, but it's connected to the inverter when logging into it.

Hi all,

I am having an issue with Tesla around my solar panels which were installed in late 2020 along with 2 powerwalls. I noticed this past March that my panel power production had dropped by about 50%. I contacted Tesla who did not send anyone out to take a look until May. We noticed a few weeks prior to them coming that a squirrel had established a nest under my solar panels. The nest and squirrel have since been removed. We have a two story craftsman. When the Tesla tech looked in early May, she noted 2-3 damaged wires and 1-2 damaged optimizers. She suggested that the wiring would need to be repaired by a roof team. I was advised that the system was unsafe and so it has been off since early May. Another tech visited in late May and confirmed some wire damage but I did not get any specific information from that person. In the ensuing months, I received an evolving explanation as to what was going to happen. First, that Tesla was waiting on replacement parts. Then, that the panels would need to be replaced. Then, that the whole system (including inverter but not powerwalls which are working fine) would need to be replaced. I then submitted a complaint to Tesla at around the 6 month point requesting a description of damage and estimate for repair. This culminated 2 months later in an email from a Tesla customer service person that I had never spoken to stating that an extensive internal review had been done and that my panels were not repairable. I was advised to file a claim with my homeowner's insurance (bad advice because homeowner's insurance does not cover rodent damage to anything) and find a third party installer to remove the panels (also not possible). Just to prove the latter, I contacted the only installer that advertises removal and reinstallation services where I live (Portland, OR), and they told me that they do not service Tesla systems because they are unwieldy and utilize proprietary parts they do not have access to. That installer also pointed out that because of the way Tesla panels are mounted, they must be removed and examined one by one to know where the damage is. This implies that Tesla in fact has no idea what is damaged and is not. This is consistent with drone video I have taken and in which no damage is visible near the margins of the panels. I suspect only some wires near where the nesting site was are damaged. I have also spoken to another installer who stated that wire damage is generally repairable although if the damage is too close to the panel it may not be. I am considering my options. My contract has a forced arbitration provision so I could initiate arbitration. I am curious if anybody on the forum has had any similar difficult experience with Tesla, or any folks that have had issues with Tesla might have any advice regarding this situation. I am also interested to know if there an Tesla solar installers/electricians (current or former) who might be willing to speak informally. Thanks in advance.

My contract has a forced arbitration provision so I could initiate arbitration.
I'm curious what your arbitration claim would be. What contract provision is Tesla not meeting? It isn't warranty related if the failure is caused by rodent damage...

I was advised to file a claim with my homeowner's insurance (bad advice because homeowner's insurance does not cover rodent damage to anything) and find a third party installer to remove the panels (also not possible). Just to prove the latter, I contacted the only installer that advertises removal and reinstallation services where I live (Portland, OR), and they told me that they do not service Tesla systems because they are unwieldy and utilize proprietary parts they do not have access to.
That doesn't even make sense. What difference does it make if the third-party doesn't have access to proprietary parts if they are just going to remove the system. It sounds like Tesla is saying your system is a total loss and needs to be removed, at which point you could then hire someone to install a new system.

But really I wonder if this is more about Tesla no longer servicing the Portland area for new installs. So maybe they now only do warranty work in Portland?

1668521224734.png

I'm curious what your arbitration claim would be. What contract provision is Tesla not meeting? It isn't warranty related if the failure is caused by rodent damage...

That doesn't even make sense. What difference does it make if the third-party doesn't have access to proprietary parts if they are just going to remove the system. It sounds like Tesla is saying your system is a total loss and needs to be removed, at which point you could then hire someone to install a new system.

But really I wonder if this is more about Tesla no longer servicing the Portland area for new installs. So maybe they now only do warranty work in Portland?

View attachment 874823
The arbitration claim is that in the system disclosures they state they will maintain and repair the system for 20 years (panels for 12 years). Replacing cable is a basic electrical repair.

As for the proprietary aspect - proprietary tools are required to remove the panels. So imagine if a rail or part gets damaged in removal or reinstallation - then a 3rd party installer would not be able to replace that part and fully reinstall.

You highlight what is probably going on - which is that they probably don't have capacity to do repairs in the Portland area. So they are saying the system is totaled even though they cannot know that without examining the wiring underneath the panels. They have only examined some of the cabling near the bottom edge which has some damage.

Is that in relation to the warranty? Like: "we will maintain and repair the system of defects in materials or workmanship for 20 years (panels for 12 years)."
I don't think so. Here's the language:

' "System repairs” refers to actions needed to fix your System if it is malfunctioning. System repairs ARE provided by the Installer.
If System repairs ARE included, the coverage periods for each hardware component of your System (in years) are:
Solar Panels: at least 12 years'

For "maintenance" it is 20 years, but they do not specify what "maintenance" is (unlike above with repairs).

I am still waiting for someone at Tesla Customer service to get in touch with me. I first posted a message here on October 1st, about my newly installed PV system (only), when I noted a panel appeared displaced/misaligned, noted within a couple of months after installation. Contacted customer service multiple times, via chat, (no other way to communicate with them), submitted photos, which the chat rep acknowledged. The photos are apparently sent to a team to review, and someone should be getting back to me. No one has responded, now at least 2 months or more since my first contact with them. Is this lack of response because my system is owned by me, so they do not care what happens? Should I get a non Tesla solar repair guy to fix this, so that further damage is prevented. (And then send a bill to Tesla solar).
My biggest regret is going with Tesla. Here is the photo again.
A9BDE33E-618F-4DE6-BDE4-1924A226DCA0.jpeg

So I’m thinking of pulling the lever on Tesla Solar but I hope to get some opinions or pros and cons of going with them.

I just sold a house which had 20 panels and Enphase microinverters totaling 4.3 kW AC and 2 Powerwalls with whole home backup. The timeline of that install was as follows:

Dec 2015: Solar ordered
Feb 2016: inquired with Tesla about Powerwalls but told not yet compatible with my inverters
Mar 2016: Solar installed (paid net $13k after tax credits)
Nov 2016: Powerwalls now compatible and placed order
Feb 2018: scheduled Powerwall installation
Apr 2018: PTO from local utility (paid $0 for Powerwalls after SGIP)

Sold the old house and I got about $22500 for the solar/Powerwalls based on some calculations from my realtor.

New house already has 3.2 kW AC Sunnova system with 11 panels and a single Enphase inverter.
Quote from Semper Solaris says $40k for 2 Powerwalls before any tax credits which seems pricey.
Quote from Tesla is about $31k for 4.8 kW of additional solar and 2 Powerwalls (since they won’t sell Powerwalls alone) before any tax credits which seems reasonable and makes me break even (after tax credits) from what I got from the sale of my old home.

I’m not after trying to generate all my use as I’d need an enormous array since I charge 3 Teslas at home and they get driven a lot. I’m more after being able to have backup for the entire home during outages. In fact I considered a Generac NG generator but that’ seems a step backward. Also, I know the economics of solar/Powerwall won’t pencil out since my rates are between 7-13 cents per kWh since I’m with TID in California, and I’m ok with no economic payback. In other words, my power rates are too cheap for solar to really pay back in a reasonable period of time.

I’d love everyone’s feedback on this decision of going with Tesla. I dealt with them in 2017 in 2018 and I know customer service is not their strength but once the Powerwalls got installed at my old place they were rock solid reliable. I just want to know if I’m making a huge mistake in 2022 going with Tesla or it’s similar to when I last dealt with them in 2017/2018: not a great process but in the end they got it done.

The discussion goes just like every other discussion here and elsewhere on Tesla customer service, some of which it appears you have participated in already so you likely are aware.

If the install is fairly simple, its hard to beat teslas pricing. The more complicated the install gets the less most of us would recommend you go with tesla (even those of us with Tesla systems, like myself).

They are fine when they are working, if they break down they take a long time to get it fixed.

Thats it in a nutshell, you can read more in the thread above.

Last edited:
When I had our solar system installed in the summer of 2021, I used a third-party certified Tesla installer (ProSolar). They installed Aptos panels, Enphase microinverters, and Powerwalls. You couldn’t buy Powerwalls directly from Tesla at the time without buying Tesla solar, but ProSolar does enough Tesla business that they were able to get the Powerwalls. So, don’t rule out using someone other than Tesla to install your system.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM
Some things to consider:

When were the solar panels on your new house installed? Keep in mind that the 20 year NEM grandfathering period goes back 20 years (unless that retroactively changes under NEM 3) and, unless you install a separate meter, the NEM grandfathering of any new system goes back to the original install date of the older system. So if the system currently on the house was installed many years ago a new system may not have many years before you are forced to go onto NEM 3 rules.

If you do decide to install more solar make sure the job can be completed before NEM 3 takes effect.

When the dust finally settles on NEM 3 there may be more incentives for storage. You may want to hold off on storage until NEM 3 is finalized to see if there are better incentives.

If your house relies on a heat pump for heating you may not be able to rely on battery storage for backup for long periods of time in the winter.

Reactions: sunwarriors
As others mentioned, you really have to look at when your existing solar was installed to determine how long your NEM2.0 or 1.0 will last.

Also, force yourself to get more quotes to see what the pricing is. I know that's work, but I think a lot of folks here are blinded by Tesla solar's pricing when it might not save you much/any $$. I'd suggest getting quotes from energysage as well and use that as a starting point to negotiate. I got 10-15 quotes (a lot were low effort of course, some, in person, local as well). Semper was on the expensive side when I checked them.

I've posted my example in past posts where Tesla solar literally saved me not much $$ at all. Also, it's a bit unfair to compare Tesla solar with other folks since you're forced into using whatever Tesla forces you to use I think. You're going to be on string inverters and you can't really pick your panels. If you want LFP batteries, that's not an option neither. There has also been posts where they just cancel.

I was dead set on Tesla PWs when I started my research, but with the possible delays with PTO (this was mid 2021) and no vendor was sure when they can get PWs, I didn't want to risk delaying my PTO back then. You may have NEM3.0 to consider which may or may not affect you now.

You listed your old install time frame back in 2015, once you figure out your existing solar install NEM status, factor how long the install might be. Tesla seems to still service your area, but they've pulled back for some reason in a lot of locations. A lot of folks have no issue installs, but issues have been common enough to see quite a few posts here.

I notice you paid $0 for PWs with SGIP, can you still get that with Tesla? I didn't know Enphase make single inverters.

Full disclosure, I'd readily admit I am very biased with the whole Enphase solution. They have working generator hook up already and have stated they are working on V2H (2024 I think).

Good luck.

• Informative
So I’m thinking of pulling the lever on Tesla Solar but I hope to get some opinions or pros and cons of going with them.

I just sold a house which had 20 panels and Enphase microinverters totaling 4.3 kW AC and 2 Powerwalls with whole home backup. The timeline of that install was as follows:

Feb 2016: inquired with Tesla about Powerwalls but told not yet compatible with my inverters
Feb 2018: scheduled Powerwall installation
Apr 2018: PTO from local utility (paid $0 for Powerwalls after SGIP)

Sold the old house and I got about $22500 for the solar/Powerwalls based on some calculations from my realtor.

New house already has 3.2 kW AC Sunnova system with 11 panels and a single Enphase inverter.
Quote from Semper Solaris says $40k for 2 Powerwalls before any tax credits which seems pricey.
Quote from Tesla is about $31k for 4.8 kW of additional solar and 2 Powerwalls (since they won’t sell Powerwalls alone) before any tax credits which seems reasonable and makes me break even (after tax credits) from what I got from the sale of my old home.

I’m not after trying to generate all my use as I’d need an enormous array since I charge 3 Teslas at home and they get driven a lot. I’m more after being able to have backup for the entire home during outages. In fact I considered a Generac NG generator but that’ seems a step backward. Also, I know the economics of solar/Powerwall won’t pencil out since my rates are between 7-13 cents per kWh since I’m with TID in California, and I’m ok with no economic payback. In other words, my power rates are too cheap for solar to really pay back in a reasonable period of time.

I’d love everyone’s feedback on this decision of going with Tesla. I dealt with them in 2017 in 2018 and I know customer service is not their strength but once the Powerwalls got installed at my old place they were rock solid reliable. I just want to know if I’m making a huge mistake in 2022 going with Tesla or it’s similar to when I last dealt with them in 2017/2018: not a great process but in the end they got it done.
I would personally not buy PV or Powerwalls from providers who are on the CPUC list of Solar Installers who are not following the rules Public Watch List of Non-Compliant Solar Providers

I do work for an installer not on that list, so perhaps my view of the value in getting it done right is different than others. In the end, it sounds like you can deal with the potential areas where Tesla might stumble and have your eyes wide open about the economics.

I am curious how Tesla will or will not service or serve some areas in the future, and would want that to settle out before I made a choice with the low cost leader.

Last edited:

Feb 2018: scheduled Powerwall installationApr 2018: PTO from local utility (paid $0 for Powerwalls after SGIP)

Pros, and cons: well, if you want this for emergency backup, I think any non-microinverter solution is asking for reliability trouble. If you lose an inverter, you would lose half, or all of your backup, depending on how your new system is wired. That would pull Tesla from consideration in my book.

+1 on the advice for getting more quotes, and +1 on@vines advice to deal with a company known for good work. It isn't easy to get on the CPUC's bad list, so that list is a list of truly problematic businesses.

Finally, figure out what your time is worth on an hourly basis, and then think about all the work a low cost, low touch provider is going to make you do.

All the best,

BG

I would personally not buy PV or Powerwalls from providers who are on the CPUC list of Solar Installers who are not following the rules Public Watch List of Non-Compliant Solar Providers

I do work for an installer not on that list, so perhaps my view of the value in getting it done right is different than others. In the end, it sounds like you can deal with the potential areas where Tesla might stumble and have your eyes wide open about the economics.

I am curious how Tesla will or will not service or serve some areas in the future, and would want that to settle out before I made a choice with the low cost leader.

For those who don't click on this, we have Tesla Solar right there as well (Contractor number matches Tesla website):

Glad a lot of the ones I checked aren't on this list (nor the one I used), but if you already see they are not compliant which is sorta a MINIMUM standard to maintain, good luck if you decide to go headlong into it and end up with problems.

One that I didn't like (due to the braindead salesrep) seems to be on here even though they have 'good' reviews from early research and their website. Was totally overpriced, gave me wrong info, no clue, rude, etc etc.

• Informative
As others mentioned, you really have to look at when your existing solar was installed to determine how long your NEM2.0 or 1.0 will last.

Also, force yourself to get more quotes to see what the pricing is. I know that's work, but I think a lot of folks here are blinded by Tesla solar's pricing when it might not save you much/any $$. I'd suggest getting quotes from energysage as well and use that as a starting point to negotiate. I got 10-15 quotes (a lot were low effort of course, some, in person, local as well). Semper was on the expensive side when I checked them.

I've posted my example in past posts where Tesla solar literally saved me not much $$ at all. Also, it's a bit unfair to compare Tesla solar with other folks since you're forced into using whatever Tesla forces you to use I think. You're going to be on string inverters and you can't really pick your panels. If you want LFP batteries, that's not an option neither. There has also been posts where they just cancel.

I was dead set on Tesla PWs when I started my research, but with the possible delays with PTO (this was mid 2021) and no vendor was sure when they can get PWs, I didn't want to risk delaying my PTO back then. You may have NEM3.0 to consider which may or may not affect you now.

You listed your old install time frame back in 2015, once you figure out your existing solar install NEM status, factor how long the install might be. Tesla seems to still service your area, but they've pulled back for some reason in a lot of locations. A lot of folks have no issue installs, but issues have been common enough to see quite a few posts here.

I notice you paid $0 for PWs with SGIP, can you still get that with Tesla? I didn't know Enphase make single inverters.

Full disclosure, I'd readily admit I am very biased with the whole Enphase solution. They have working generator hook up already and have stated they are working on V2H (2024 I think).

Good luck.
There are folks who have hooked their generator up to their gateway and powerwalls.

Solar panels and PW installed last year. In October, 2022, Tesla tech discovered that the junction box on one of our panels is stuck in the "off" position which results in all downstream panels not delivering power so production is cut in half. Repair was scheduled for November 3rd but before then, Tesla called and canceled claiming lack of crew availability. Turns out they were installing a new system at one of my referral's home on November 3rd. I have chatted and talked with customer support but they will not do anything. Now it is December 11th and I find out they are installing new panels on another referral's home about 2 miles away! Still won't come fix my existing system. They also claim to not have any responsibility for the lost production and that all I get is their "repair promise." BUYER BEWARE - once you pay Tesla support goes away!

Solar panels and PW installed last year. In October, 2022, Tesla tech discovered that the junction box on one of our panels is stuck in the "off" position which results in all downstream panels not delivering power so production is cut in half. Repair was scheduled for November 3rd but before then, Tesla called and canceled claiming lack of crew availability. Turns out they were installing a new system at one of my referral's home on November 3rd. I have chatted and talked with customer support but they will not do anything. Now it is December 11th and I find out they are installing new panels on another referral's home about 2 miles away! Still won't come fix my existing system. They also claim to not have any responsibility for the lost production and that all I get is their "repair promise." BUYER BEWARE - once you pay Tesla support goes away!
One pays cheap, what does one expert for support? I paid more for my 3rd party, but boy do I get first class customer support from V3.