Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the AP performance reports vary greatly. For some it works well and for others it is nearly undrivable. Could this really be all situational? I wonder if some cars just perform better than others? Perhaps parts tolerances or calibration play a role.

I think it's highly situational and a function of those roads. If there's a combination of visual and/or RADAR-reactive things on a given road, the same problems will keep happening.

I know there were a couple of spots on a regular route of mine that generated phantom braking on the highway for me, and over time, they were all eliminated. Phantom braking still happens occasionally on different roads, but those consistent spots got fixed.

I'm with my first Tesla vehicle, so I'm not sure what issues are with the new "Vision only" or if I have actual camera issues.
- I often see cars bouncing left and right within their lanes on the Autopilot Visualizer.
- I see sometimes cars disappear when they go through my blindspots and reappear once they drive past.
- I've had my car lower the max speed from 75 -> 45 causing my car to heavily slow down randomly (I think it may think that I am on a side street instead of a freeway?).
- I've seen a semi truck seemingly start swerving into my car on the visualizer (although it didn't affect my autopilot it did freak me out).
- Sometimes the visualizer lane lines will wiggle left and right even if my car is at a stop.

Are others having similar experiences or does this sound like something's actually wrong with my cameras?

The 75-> 45 is exactly what people are referring to when they say "phantom braking." It knows you're on a freeway, but the system feared that something was stationary on the road ahead and began to brake so that it *could* stop in time if it decided it needed to.

The other things, like the bouncing in the visualizer, are common. It's important to know that it's *just* the visualizer. The car's internal model of the world is not designed for pretty rendering on screens for humans. It's designed for fast in-access memory to a probabilistic model of the world around you. The visualizer you see is an add-on layer being generated by your infotainment system based on checking in on that probabilistic model now and then. Don't stress over the dancing trucks; it's doesn't mean your car is clueless about your surroundings, it means your infotainment display is unclear about how the inside of the car's real "brain" is thinking.

You can do the double-thumb reset and reboot of the whole infotainments system *while* driving on the highway *while* the car is in full Navigate-on-Autopilot, and it will keep driving itself just fine. You're not rebooting the car's real "brain," just the infotainment system which is there to interface with the humans.

Reactions: Placeman
Yeah, how many weeks are "in the weeks ahead?"

Apparently it was nowhere near the many weeks a lot of people were intimating.

An update is out now,

>Tesla has started releasing a new software update (2021.4.18.10) that is bringing back emergency lane departure avoidance and smart summon, and it is increasing the Autopilot speed limit from 75 mph to 80 mph.
from Tesla releases new update for vehicles with its new 'Tesla Vision' system to restore Autopilot features - Electrek

Also notable, to me:

At the time, CEO Elon Musk told Electrek that he believes Autopilot features with Tesla Vision will soon surpass what is possible with the radar sensor:

“It will have all the safety features of prior vision+radar and then some. The software should be fully rolled out to all new vehicles within two weeks. The probability of safety will be higher with pure vision than vision+radar, not lower. Vision has become so good that radar actually reduces signal/noise.”

This jibes perfectly with my suspicions earlier in this discussion. RADAR is very, very noisy, and it's making more problems for the system than it solves. Some people keep focusing on the tiny minority of circumstances where RADAR gives an advantage and ignoring that it's generating problematic noise most of the time. The system spends processing time and energy overriding the noise all the time... and it can even be hampering the effort to actually get better on the pure vision side of things.

• Disagree
Reactions: epj3 and WhiteWi
The model and specs of the radar were recently provided in another TV thread. The unit mentioned was a Continental ARS4-B. It's described as "a 77 GHz radar sensor with digital beam-forming scanning antenna which offers two scans for far and short range." IOW it's phased array so it functions more like a spinning radar than a fixed radar. The angular measurement accuracy is listed as +/- 0.2 degrees for both the far range and short range scans.

I imagine it is the fancy electronics to do beam forming that is currently in short supply.

This is not correct; it cannot determine where an object in front of the sensor is, only how far away it is.

Given two objects in front of the sensor, it can estimate the angle between the two objects; that's the angular measurement being referenced.

With a very small angle between two objects which are 5 m and 10 m ahead, you can guess the second object is the car two ahead of you. With a large angle between them, it could be in an adjacent lane (or an overhead sign, depending on whether this angular measurement is planar or not.)

Software versions? It seems like there's a 2021.3.103 and 2021.4.18.x both which are the latest version for new vision cars. Maybe they are testing 2 totally different things?
I think it is from driving conditions. Today in the rain of all things, the phantom braking went from 30+ times to about 10. And coming home in the nice daylight it had more issues than in the dark rain, go figure....

My car is vision-only running 2021.3.103 and AP seems to work well, though this is my first Tesla so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I'm not getting phantom braking (though it can be overly cautious when it sees people walking on the sidewalk resulting in a dramatic slow-down). It has even done well when driving into direct sunlight during sunset. Overall I've been very impressed and my trust-level in the system is growing. I do wonder if those reporting a poor experience are running 2021.4.18.2?

As for the auto-wipers... I live in Vegas, what is this "rain" you speak of? 😂
Hopefully you are not taking your car to the car wash, but if you do, remember to turn off the auto wipers

Reactions: BierNut
This is not correct; it cannot determine where an object in front of the sensor is, only how far away it is.

Given two objects in front of the sensor, it can estimate the angle between the two objects; that's the angular measurement being referenced.
Do you have a reference for this? The angle stated in the data sheet does indeed appear to be the angular resolution. It is essentially the beam width of the array and specifies the closest two objects can be separated in angle and still be recognized as distinct. How Tesla uses this radar is anyone's guess, but the device itself does appear to be a scanning phased array device capable of both radial and angular position measurement.

Just got 2021.4.18.10 and can confirm restoration of ELDA and Smart Summon… will test auto-steer to 80 tomorrow.
4F164C9D-C454-466D-997D-89DC0DF65FDC.jpeg

I think it's highly situational and a function of those roads. If there's a combination of visual and/or RADAR-reactive things on a given road, the same problems will keep happening.

I know there were a couple of spots on a regular route of mine that generated phantom braking on the highway for me, and over time, they were all eliminated. Phantom braking still happens occasionally on different roads, but those consistent spots got fixed.

The 75-> 45 is exactly what people are referring to when they say "phantom braking." It knows you're on a freeway, but the system feared that something was stationary on the road ahead and began to brake so that it *could* stop in time if it decided it needed to.

The other things, like the bouncing in the visualizer, are common. It's important to know that it's *just* the visualizer. The car's internal model of the world is not designed for pretty rendering on screens for humans. It's designed for fast in-access memory to a probabilistic model of the world around you. The visualizer you see is an add-on layer being generated by your infotainment system based on checking in on that probabilistic model now and then. Don't stress over the dancing trucks; it's doesn't mean your car is clueless about your surroundings, it means your infotainment display is unclear about how the inside of the car's real "brain" is thinking.

You can do the double-thumb reset and reboot of the whole infotainments system *while* driving on the highway *while* the car is in full Navigate-on-Autopilot, and it will keep driving itself just fine. You're not rebooting the car's real "brain," just the infotainment system which is there to interface with the humans.
We own a 2018 model 3 and 2021 model Y with no radar. We have no issues with the high beams on either car. I think they work pretty well at staying on when need be and turning off when other cars are identified. Yes, they go off on some false positives, but come back on in a few seconds.
Both cars have occasional issues with brake checks, but neither will brake from 75-45, or perhaps I’m ready to intervene much quicker than the average person.
Also, as an early FSD adopter, I can say that the early FSD 3 systems had issues that got better over time. Constant improvement is the key here, not expecting an out of the box perfect level 3-5 system. If Tesla didn’t use all of us as beta testers, we’d likely be confined to a waymo type system limited to geofenced areas.

Reactions: play150 and WhiteWi
So my car officially started bugging me to upgrade to 2021.4.18.2 which adds the interior camera monitoring. I currently have my camera covered and dont really want to have to uncover it but fear doing so will stop AP from working. Has anyone with the update tried covering the camera to see if it stops AP from being activated?

I shot a video earlier today, while not purposefully truing to film autopilot/ Vision you can get a good idea,

Few points. I feel the system does many things well, but there are definitely some things it needs to work on. No FSD on my car

- Curvy backroads. Does a pretty great job, if there are bright lines painted that helps a lot.
-Autohigh beams are laughably bad. This causes no remorse and blinds people that are 200 yards off and just doesn't care.
-When a car in front of you slows down and turns right for example. Even AFTER the car is completely out of your lane of travel, the Tesla still continues to slow down. Takes a good 2-4 seconds to get back on the gas

I've had a few false "front collision" warnings come up at night in the fog. Nothing was there, but it freaked out.

Reactions: play150
I like your theory. I'm running 2021.4.18.2 in my radarless 2021 M3LR. It's my first Tesla also, but the phantom braking is unmistakable (and pretty unnerving).
2021.4.18.3 no issue. Theor
800Km in, I have yet to experience phantom braking. Nor any issue with AP, it is actually great in heavy traffic, even detecting idiots that cut in at the last second.

Will do a 600Km trip this week, will have a larger sample.

Well that was interesting.
575 Km, first half in daylight, second at night time.

Daylight, no issues at all to report.

Nighttime,
- 6 or 7 phantom breaking occurrences. They mostly seemed to happen when car is about to go up a hill. Like road level in front is higher and mistaken for a collision box??
- Twice got warnings that my driver side pillar camera was dirty. Probably because road was too dark and no vehicles behind.
- Blind spot monitoring worked very well as it saved me once.
- Vehicles on side or rear of the car don't show up in the 3D render until they overtake me.
- vehicles in front show up on the 3D render when they seem way closer to my car than in daytime. And this translates to autopilot slowing down much later than in daylight (I have 7 car length distance set).

Reactions: play150

Nighttime,
- 6 or 7 phantom breaking occurrences. They mostly seemed to happen when car is about to go up a hill. Like road level in front is higher and mistaken for a collision box??

My phantom braking also occurs going up or cresting a hill, especially when another car is coming over it in the other direction.
This is all daytime driving.
Maybe .10 version will help.