Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The data sheet you already linked above says it does. But for more proof look at some images of test scans. These two-dimensional images were constructed from range and angle measurements produced by the radar. It is abundantly clear not everything is straight ahead, hence, angle of arrival was measured and considered. These radars don't physically move to scan, they are phased arrays and scan electronically over angle. Images like these cannot be made without angular data, which means the radar is capable of measuring angle of arrival.
View attachment 681046

View attachment 681040
You're right, I don't know how I missed that. I stand corrected.

So it seems that gives a reading on azimuth, but not elevation. That's why it can't tell if it's seeing a car in front of you or an overhead bridge.

Drove my M3 in some pretty nasty rainy/foggy night conditions on the highway with minimal/mild traffic.

It reduced the speed due to low visibility, but honestly did a pretty fantastic job. Show a 25 second video with my cell, but unsure if I can upload.

I say the only thing that's not perfect is it brakes fairly hard while cresting sharp hills hills, and takes an unordinary long time to accelerate after somebody turns off the main road when following behind them.

Drove my M3 in some pretty nasty rainy/foggy night conditions on the highway with minimal/mild traffic.

It reduced the speed due to low visibility, but honestly did a pretty fantastic job. Show a 25 second video with my cell, but unsure if I can upload.

I say the only thing that's not perfect is it brakes fairly hard while cresting sharp hills hills, and takes an unordinary long time to accelerate after somebody turns off the main road when following behind them.
You are right . My only issue is the phantom braking . It also takes forever to accelerate once someone turns from main road . The acceleration is so slow that it annoys other drivers and they zoom to get around you for slowing down for so long . It definitely is not perfect but I like it overall

Reactions: elguapo
You are right . My only issue is the phantom braking . It also takes forever to accelerate once someone turns from main road . The acceleration is so slow that it annoys other drivers and they zoom to get around you for slowing down for so long . It definitely is not perfect but I like it overall
I'm making it a habit to manually accelerate as soon as the coast is clear after a car crosses in front of me.

I'm hoping this registers in the system as a manual intervention and I hope it helps feed information into the model.

Also, it does not take it out of autopilot... As soon as they let go of the accelerator, it resumes auto pilot is normal.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and elguapo
I'm making it a habit to manually accelerate as soon as the coast is clear after a car crosses in front of me.

I'm hoping this registers in the system as a manual intervention and I hope it helps feed information into the model.

Also, it does not take it out of autopilot... As soon as they let go of the accelerator, it resumes auto pilot is normal.

Can you confirm if I had AP with autosteer enabled, if I set the TACC to the lowest it went, I could basically drive the car with the pedals as I prefer, and the autosteer would still be enabled while I had my foot on the pedal? I have no desire to use TACC, especially with the threat of phantom breaking, but I really, really like the idea of lane centering, which my Accord has.

I'm basically trying to mimic an auto center, which doesn't seem quite exactly like what the Tesla lane assist is, but also Autosteer isn't usable without TACC.

Reactions: play150
Can you confirm if I had AP with autosteer enabled, if I set the TACC to the lowest it went, I could basically drive the car with the pedals as I prefer, and the autosteer would still be enabled while I had my foot on the pedal? I have no desire to use TACC, especially with the threat of phantom breaking, but I really, really like the idea of lane centering, which my Accord has.

I'm basically trying to mimic an auto center, which doesn't seem quite exactly like what the Tesla lane assist is, but also Autosteer isn't usable without TACC.
Yes, you can but automatic braking is then disabled. Also, i believe if you accelerate above the autopilot max (now 80) you get booted from using it for the rest of the drive - at least I did when the limit was 75 prior to the last software update.

I think @scubastevo80 is right, but I'd add that you also have to be careful not to touch the brake. If you need to stop hard and tap the break even for a moment, that will take it out of autopilot. You don't want to forget that it's no longer steering for you.

Reactions: Biggus
Is FSD v9 beta supposed to be a public release or is it just for beta testers?
Beta testers only. Aside from not being ready, I think local laws may delay a broad release. Remember, there are people who paid for FSD in 2017 or 2018. It’s not coming soon for broad release. And by “it” I mean the FSD able to drive you to your local Starbucks, etc.

Purchased M3 SR+ with basic autopilot in June 2021... started to notice that basic features such as lane depature warning/steering and collision avoidance does not work at night time. Weird that it works fine during the day but not at night. Anyone else has this issue? Not sure why it is so or what's the fix?

Oh... any info on when it may start functioning at night?
Can you be a bit more specific what you mean about them not working at night? The LDW does not rely on the radar (it uses the side cameras) so is not affected by the radar removal. Only the FCW might be affected, but I haven't seen reports there was any difference in operation (it's not easy to test however given you basically have to try crashing to know if it's working).
Transitioning to Tesla Vision

Phantom braking is really dangerous. Probably my biggest grip with Auto Pilot is phantom braking. Really concerned about the winter without the radar as well.

Reactions: SpaceCash
I'm pretty happy with the Vision system on my new 3. Works much better than I thought it would. The few phantom braking events so far were not a problem.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the systems ability to track the lane in areas with tons of breaks in the lines. And it does a great job of spotting parked cars ahead at stop lights and braking appropriately. Most importantly, it follows the car in front of me very well, which is all I really wanted out of the system.

Will be interesting to see if the Tesla vision system has more phantom braking then the radar system. The radar is there to see objects such as other cars, people etc. The lines in the road are seen with the cameras on both systems so I expect them to work the same for this. I do wonder if the Tesla vision system will be as safe as it can't see the car ahead of the car in front of you. The radar system can. It does keep a pretty good distance so they may figure it has enough time to react if the car in front of you stops suddenly.