Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not in Utah, where the speed limit is 80mph. I just drove across Utah, and was being passed by semi trucks while stuck at 80mph with AP on. The update to 90mph can't come soon enough for some of us, at least then I'd have the option to choose to keep up with traffic in exchange for an extra 10 minutes at a Supercharger along the way.
Let the semis go. They are idiots killing people. In OK we also have 80 mph speed limit. I do not feel comfortable going above that speed limit. The wind, the idiots, and the idiots blown by wind is the culprit.

Basically my same experience. On anything but an interstate, vision only is hot trash.

Well I'm 6 months in and the car is worse than ever. Last week I tried again and had 4 major events in just 1~2 miles. I've been patient enough. I'm ready for them to either fix this with an OTA update or put radar back in these cars.

I've submitted a complaint to NHTSA.gov and recommend everyone here having similar problems to do the same. We absolutely can force Tesla's hand if we work together!

Are people having phantom braking with the normal adaptive cruise control on non radar cars? Or only FSD beta and autosteer beta? I tried autosteer beta once, and it phantom braked on me so never again. But adaptive cruise control has been rock solid.

Are people having phantom braking with the normal adaptive cruise control on non radar cars? Or only FSD beta and autosteer beta? I tried autosteer beta once, and it phantom braked on me so never again. But adaptive cruise control has been rock solid.
Considering that the Autopilot has no phantom breaking 99% of the time, are you sure that TACC is better than AP. I would be surprised if the algorithm is that much different for the two.

Ugh, just had an overnight test drive with a brand new M3 and experienced Phantom braking 6 times in a 40 km drive. Here are the conditions:

- 6:00 AM on a Sunday (dark)
- Dry roads
- Lines painted on road
- Two lane road (one each way)
- Rural driving (farms and forests)
- Using cruise not autopilot or auto steering
- Speed was 80km/hr to 100km/hr

Every time it was the same thing, a car coming towards me in the other lane and M3 would freak the F* out and apply the brakes. It was random and went from light braking to heavy braking. I think there was only one car we crossed that didn't cause it and I feel it was because we were on gentle left curve at the time.

I take delivery in December and it has caused me to be less than excited. I switched from my Golf R because of the cost saving of and EV vs ICE. I need the range the M3 provides as my commute is 118km (highway/rural/urban) each way and we can get to -20 C to -30 C in the coldest part of the winter.

I have a radar based adaptive cruise control on my Golf R and have never had a phantom brake experience, though it has saved me from causing a rear end accident twice as the cars in front of me locked up their brakes.

I sincerely hope Tesla gets this sorted as adaptive cruise is one of the most used features I use on my commute.

Again, I recommend anyone who's suffering with this unsafe behavior to go to NHTSA.gov and spend 5 minutes filling out a complaint. NHTSA and OEMs both monitor these sites quite closely.

From what I've read online, nobody seems to really know what happens if you plug a radar sensor into one of these vision-only cars. It's just a guess on my part, but it seems likely that it won't do anything because the car will know it's supposed to be vision-only, but I can also imagine that the software stack might be able to accommodate whatever sensors are available. I just thought of this idea the other day, but I actually have access to an M3 at work that's equipped with radar. When I get a chance over the next couple weeks, I'm going to pull the radar off that car and temporarily install it into my car to see if some magic happens (my understanding is that all the 2021 cars still have the radar connector sitting there empty). I'll report the results back in this thread.

Again, I recommend anyone who's suffering with this unsafe behavior to go to NHTSA.gov and spend 5 minutes filling out a complaint. NHTSA and OEMs both monitor these sites quite closely.

From what I've read online, nobody seems to really know what happens if you plug a radar sensor into one of these vision-only cars. It's just a guess on my part, but it seems likely that it won't do anything because the car will know it's supposed to be vision-only, but I can also imagine that the software stack might be able to accommodate whatever sensors are available. I just thought of this idea the other day, but I actually have access to an M3 at work that's equipped with radar. When I get a chance over the next couple weeks, I'm going to pull the radar off that car and temporarily install it into my car to see if some magic happens (my understanding is that all the 2021 cars still have the radar connector sitting there empty). I'll report the results back in this thread.
I'm pretty sure someone tried that before and it didn't do anything. The car has it set in the software what hardware configuration the car is. For example, if you have a radar car and you unplug it, it will complain because it was expecting a radar.

Software wouldn't update, radar wasn't plugged in

As for whether radar is really a savior, all I know is phantom braking had been reported well before the radar unit was removed. Maybe the causes are different, but I don't think it'll eliminate it. It really has to do with false positive tuning.

I'm pretty sure someone tried that before and it didn't do anything. The car has it set in the software what hardware configuration the car is. For example, if you have a radar car and you unplug it, it will complain because it was expecting a radar.

Software wouldn't update, radar wasn't plugged in

As for whether radar is really a savior, all I know is phantom braking had been reported well before the radar unit was removed. Maybe the causes are different, but I don't think it'll eliminate it. It really has to do with false positive tuning.
Probably needs a deployment after installing the radar. Car might need a gateway configuration update to "tell" it that it now has radar as well.
I think it can be done by a master-level Tesla hacker. But it won't be worth the money you'd pay to have it done if you can't do it yourself.

IIRC wk057 installed fully working AP1 into a pre-AP car several years back.

Fsd beta, subscription, radar question:
Phantom breaking hasn't been a big problem on autopilot for me. I am sorta interested in signing up for fsd subscription w beta testing, but it seems like people complain quite a bit (post radar removal) about phantom breaking
If my software gets updated and if I get into fsd beta, and then let my subscription lapse will I be stuck in vision only autopilot? Is radar still used on some car's fsd?

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but it looks like the completely removed the limit on following distance, still limited to 80 mph

1638161713763.png

Reactions: WhiteWi