Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a vision Model 3 and Y on order and own a radar 3 (2019 SR+).

In the last 2 weeks I've had 3 phantom braking events in my radar 3 and that's starting to concern me. They've definitely updated the AP algorithm for radar cars too. However, I can do AP at 80+ MPH so radar has not been disabled.

Fsd beta, subscription, radar question:
Phantom breaking hasn't been a big problem on autopilot for me. I am sorta interested in signing up for fsd subscription w beta testing, but it seems like people complain quite a bit (post radar removal) about phantom breaking
If my software gets updated and if I get into fsd beta, and then let my subscription lapse will I be stuck in vision only autopilot? Is radar still used on some car's fsd?
I went from radar to vision only and believe I'm stuck with it even if I remove FSD Beta. In 2 months I don't think it will be an issue but the auto headlights will still suck.

Again, I recommend anyone who's suffering with this unsafe behavior to go to NHTSA.gov and spend 5 minutes filling out a complaint. NHTSA and OEMs both monitor these sites quite closely.

I think it is safe for us to say that we don't know the technical cause of things like phantom braking, and whether better software will remedy the issue or will hardware radar be the only solution moving forward.

As a software developer myself, I personally think that the best feedback is to get Tesla's attention or give them time instead of filing any complaint to NHTSA. Judging from the safety ratings and software updates, I don't think Tesla takes safety issues lightly, and I doubt that they're trying to sweep these issues under the rug.

I believe that NHTSA should absolutely step in if any auto company purposefully omit safety in the name of cost savings or just complete negligence. I personally don't think that is the case for Tesla and I do think that any additional complaints from NHTSA or regulations to impede on OTA updates would not help advance the development process.

So in short, yes there are problems but no I won't be filing a NHTSA complaint. Yes I know that it's hard to get direct contact with Tesla but I think that Tesla is aware of phantom braking issues and don't need me to remind them. I can be wrong, and I often am. This is just my point of view.

• Love
Reactions: RogerMc and WhiteWi
Went to radar to a 2022 Y 6 weeks ago. The 80mph limit is killing me. I drive mostly 79mph and slower. But occasionally I’ll do 82-83 mph depending on traffic. The worse part is occasionally I forget and press the gas while on AP at 80 but the car disables AP for going 80+ for 1 second

Reactions: J_Nixon
Went to radar to a 2022 Y 6 weeks ago. The 80mph limit is killing me. I drive mostly 79mph and slower. But occasionally I’ll do 82-83 mph depending on traffic. The worse part is occasionally I forget and press the gas while on AP at 80 but the car disables AP for going 80+ for 1 second
I agree, this is an absolutely ruthless feature. I find myself pulling off the highway and putting the car in park on nearly ever highway drive.

Reactions: Pkmmte
I feel like Tesla is off track trying to rely only on cameras (or even radar) to accomplish autopilot and FSD. They really should take advantage of GPS and maps as well, to program in all the weirdnesses on the roads that the neural net cannot figure out. For example, I often go through an underpass on a particular highway, and the road above the underpass has a stop light, and every time the car thinks the stop light applies to the highway I'm on and slams on the brakes. It's dangerous and unnecessary. They could just program in to ignore that light. 90% of my driving is the same routes. If I could program in the quirks, my lane preferences, etc. for those routes, it would improve the experience and utility of autopilot by 1000%. The prospect that these cars will function as robo taxis in the next 5-10 years seems very remote to me.

I went from radar to vision only and believe I'm stuck with it even if I remove FSD Beta.

Other reports say you get radar back after opting out of FSD Beta:

I’m strongly considering opting out myself, which is a shame after all the effort I put into that stupid safety score crap to qualify for FSD Beta in the first place.

Even going into it with low expectations, Tesla Vision and FSD Beta are just such huge steaming piles of dog sh*t that I don’t think I can stand it much longer.

I’m strongly considering opting out myself, which is a shame after all the effort I put into that stupid safety score crap to qualify for FSD Beta in the first place.

Even going into it with low expectations, Tesla Vision and FSD Beta are just such huge steaming piles of dog sh*t that I don’t think I can stand it much longer.
And they're upping the price of FSD to $12k.

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311

This reminds me of my pre-kindergarten years when I believed that all people are friendly and my dream-job was a bus driver. My depression has grown with years since then quite a bit.

Agreed. Happy that I only paid for subscription. No more phantom braking on my daily commute with ap (radar). I only had one phantom brake in 7.5 miles, but fsd beta was 2x random spots on daily commute (in Arizona, ie no rain/snow)

I have all of 2 weeks on my new M3 LR, and maybe 30-40 miles on night time cruise control. Not auto steer, not even autopilot, just plain vanilla cruise. But the 5-alarm-Alert! keeps going off all the time. About 10 times so far, with nary a single instance of anything to alert about. No lane departure, no upcoming lane obstruction, nothing on the shoulder (besides a well-plowed snow bank). Twice, for 2-3 seconds, it thought there was a human walking on the shoulder when nothing there. About half the time there was an unremarkable vanilla car or pickup coming at us in the other lane. The panic-noise is bad enough, but the thing also DRASTICALLY slows down. Since I can't accept that behavior due to possibility of slippery road or possible tail-gate-follower, I just cannot use cruise at night at all any more. Here's to praying for a SW update some day..

I have all of 2 weeks on my new M3 LR, and maybe 30-40 miles on night time cruise control. Not auto steer, not even autopilot, just plain vanilla cruise. But the 5-alarm-Alert! keeps going off all the time. About 10 times so far, with nary a single instance of anything to alert about. No lane departure, no upcoming lane obstruction, nothing on the shoulder (besides a well-plowed snow bank). Twice, for 2-3 seconds, it thought there was a human walking on the shoulder when nothing there. About half the time there was an unremarkable vanilla car or pickup coming at us in the other lane. The panic-noise is bad enough, but the thing also DRASTICALLY slows down. Since I can't accept that behavior due to possibility of slippery road or possible tail-gate-follower, I just cannot use cruise at night at all any more. Here's to praying for a SW update some day..
Are you on a multi-lane divided highway?

Vision only is worse at night but I haven’t had many problems on divided highways, especially with other cars in view.

Nope. 2 lane rural roads with adequate shoulders. Granted, there's snow patches, so typically middle nor side line is clearly visible. I've abandoned cruise control entirely now, day & night due to this issue, and because it has now happened a few times in daylight. At least w/o cruise there is no scary braking, just annoying alert. We're now up to around 15 alerts and it is batting ZERO : not a single instance to date of anything that I can detect that is an obstruction. I've turned off every possible alert & autopilot feature I can find, from lane departure to early detections .. No joy. It still thinks it "sees" imminent obstructions. Oiy-vey, the early adopter headache. It has terribly frightened several people who I've had just test-driving it around the block. Hope it clears up once the snow goes... in April or May.. -;).

Reactions: Lephturn