Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least for my circumstances, the update to 2022.4.5.17 made these issues go away. And by "issues" i mean the phantom menace/obstruction/persons that it thought it saw but were not really there. Such a relief to be able to drive about town w/o that scary noise going off every day...
Took a 3 hour trip on back roads at 55 MPH using autopilot on 2022.4.5.17 and also didn't have any phantom braking events when passing large trucks/vehicles. Not a perfect use case, but this same road for me 6 months ago was unbearable on auto pilot. So things are looking up.

Took a 3 hour trip on back roads at 55 MPH using autopilot on 2022.4.5.17 and also didn't have any phantom braking events when passing large trucks/vehicles. Not a perfect use case, but this same road for me 6 months ago was unbearable on auto pilot. So things are looking up.

I'm SO happy to report the same result with 2022.4.5.17! A local two-lane country road that used to be unbearable and phantom brake 4-5 times over just a couple miles is now perfect. Both cloudy and sunny.. empty and with heavy traffic. It took them 10 months (and a NHTSA investigation) to finally fix what they broke when they removed radar from our cars, but they've clearly made a huge step back in the right direction.

I still haven't had a chance to try out the scenario of cruising along at ~50mph, pacing behind another car ahead when they turn on their left blinker and proceed to stop. The radar-equipped cars handled this fine and slowed smoothly and safely. My car would fly ahead then panic and slam on the brakes. Hopefully that has been fixed as well.

I'm SO happy to report the same result with 2022.4.5.17! A local two-lane country road that used to be unbearable and phantom brake 4-5 times over just a couple miles is now perfect. Both cloudy and sunny.. empty and with heavy traffic. It took them 10 months (and a NHTSA investigation) to finally fix what they broke when they removed radar from our cars, but they've clearly made a huge step back in the right direction.

I still haven't had a chance to try out the scenario of cruising along at ~50mph, pacing behind another car ahead when they turn on their left blinker and proceed to stop. The radar-equipped cars handled this fine and slowed smoothly and safely. My car would fly ahead then panic and slam on the brakes. Hopefully that has been fixed as well.
After initially receiving 2022.4.5.17, I noticed a phantom braking reduction as well and thought I was just lucky that day, rather than it being a software fix. (One would think going from 2022.4.5.3 to 2022.4.5.17 wouldn't have a major change to TACC code.)

The fact that I'm seeing others report improvements seems to indicate I didn't just catch a lucky weather condition, sun angle, traffic pattern, etc.

I'm still under 1000 miles total with my vision-only "panic-brakey" M3P compared to about 23K I put on my used AP1 P85D (with its nearly-flawless TACC) from 2019 through 2021.

Reactions: Lephturn
After almost 2 weeks of testing, I've had only two emergency forward collision alerts (compared to 1-2 alerts per drive before). In both cases, it was a cloudy day and there was no traffic around at all, so I have no idea why it alerted. Neither event applied ANY braking at all, which is a welcome change. I'm very happy with the improvement.

If following behind another car, pacing at their speed, it still kind of waits too long and panics if they come to a stop, but it's much better than before. It's not as smooth as the radar-equipped cars, but much better.

Reactions: ord3r
I've been using this website to look at the latest Tesla release notes and I just installed 2022.8.3. It doesn't say anything about autopilot updates, but something is different with my car on one of the last few updates. Autopilot used to be intolerable on my vision system only car with phantom braking, but on Saturday I had a 45 minute stretch of uninterrupted autopilot (not FSD). Not a single fault. Did something change recently?

Reactions: ord3r
A welcome, albeit long delayed, move in the right direction.

But still worse than cameras+radar in every performance respect:
  • Slower top speed
  • Longer minimum following distance
  • Forced auto wipers
  • Forced auto high beams
  • Phantom braking? (I know it’s better now than it was a few months ago, but is it still worse than radar?)
And this is a full year after switching to vision-only. Makes me wonder if it’ll ever achieve parity.

Reactions: J_Nixon
After initially receiving 2022.4.5.17, I noticed a phantom braking reduction as well and thought I was just lucky that day, rather than it being a software fix. (One would think going from 2022.4.5.3 to 2022.4.5.17 wouldn't have a major change to TACC code.)

The fact that I'm seeing others report improvements seems to indicate I didn't just catch a lucky weather condition, sun angle, traffic pattern, etc.

I'm still under 1000 miles total with my vision-only "panic-brakey" M3P compared to about 23K I put on my used AP1 P85D (with its nearly-flawless TACC) from 2019 through 2021.
Yup. In 2021 our M3LR frequently phantom braked on the local rural roads. Hasn't done it once in 2022 with the upgrades. Nice.

Now if they could just correct how AutoSteer "swings wide" on the corners. You can see the atavar car almost touching the blue line on the screen as the real car almost touches the center line on a tight right hand curve. Sort of scary when an oncoming vehicle is "cutting corners". No problem on major roads tho.

Yup. In 2021 our M3LR frequently phantom braked on the local rural roads. Hasn't done it once in 2022 with the upgrades. Nice.

Now if they could just correct how AutoSteer "swings wide" on the corners. You can see the atavar car almost touching the blue line on the screen as the real car almost touches the center line on a tight right hand curve. Sort of scary when an oncoming vehicle is "cutting corners". No problem on major roads tho.

Sounds like your vision car needs glasses haha. An increase in max AP speed is a welcome update.

Reactions: Pkmmte

Have you tried re-calibrating the cameras (see "Drive to Calibrate Cameras")?
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note calibration works best in these conditions: "For example, calibration completes quicker when driving on a straight road with multiple lanes (such as a controlled-access highway), with highly-visible lane markings (in the driving lane as well as the adjacent lanes)".

Have you tried re-calibrating the cameras (see "Drive to Calibrate Cameras")?
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note calibration works best in these conditions: "For example, calibration completes quicker when driving on a straight road with multiple lanes (such as a controlled-access highway), with highly-visible lane markings (in the driving lane as well as the adjacent lanes)".
Hmm, thanks, will try.
Although since the virtual display shows the problem, the car is aware of its position w/r to the lane. So not sure if it will help.

FWIW my 2018 LR M3 (AP 2.5 with radar) also "swings wide" on turns. Note that I am typically 5 mph over the speed limit so maybe if I were traveling slower it would take the turns better. If I see that a car is going to meet me at the turn's apex I will disengage AP and manually turn tighter. If there is no traffic I let the car do its thing.

FWIW my 2018 LR M3 (AP 2.5 with radar) also "swings wide" on turns. Note that I am typically 5 mph over the speed limit so maybe if I were traveling slower it would take the turns better. If I see that a car is going to meet me at the turn's apex I will disengage AP and manually turn tighter. If there is no traffic I let the car do its thing.
Yes, we do the same. And it's not really an issue when going the speed limit on our rural roads. But that's awfully hard to do ...

A welcome, albeit long delayed, move in the right direction.

But still worse than cameras+radar in every performance respect:
  • Slower top speed
  • Longer minimum following distance
  • Forced auto wipers
  • Forced auto high beams
  • Phantom braking? (I know it’s better now than it was a few months ago, but is it still worse than radar?)
And this is a full year after switching to vision-only. Makes me wonder if it’ll ever achieve parity.
It's automatic at activation but you can push down on the left stick to put it back in manual mode. Needs to be done every time you activate TACC or Autopilot, which is annoying but it's not 'forced' per say.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and Jeff N
It's automatic at activation but you can push down on the left stick to put it back in manual mode. Needs to be done every time you activate TACC or Autopilot, which is annoying but it's not 'forced' per say.
That's the way it works on my car as well, but it seems some cars are different based on reports here. It might no be possible to disable auto high beam if FSD (beta?) is active. I don't know because I don't have FSD.

But yeah, I disable it by the left stalk every time I activate AP.

Reactions: SylvainG