Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disengaging AP is too jerky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the responses. Good to know that some of you experience the jerkiness I was talking about. It feels a bit better to know that I’m not alone with the issue.

Just so you all are aware, I got every option possible- Autosteer, FSD, enhanced AP, Navigate on AP etc. And, I have all the options enabled.

IMG_0033.jpg

I realize that pushing the stalk up or using brakes to disengage is a better option to avoid the jerk (I figured that out quickly and Tesla service recommended the same) but it's very natural to use the steering in some instances. For instance, the other day I was driving on a single lane road with autosteer engaged. As I was approaching an intersection, a new left-only lane started on my left side. I needed to continue going straight but weirdly the car decided to move into the left-only lane. My immediate reaction was to turn the steering back to straight position. Now, am I supposed to predict that weird move and turn the right indicator on ahead of time to stay in the same lane!? Or, am I supposed to push the stalk up (I'd be already in left-only lane by then) and then change back to right lane?
See what I'm saying? There were several other situations where my instinct was to go for the steering to disengage (one step as opposed to two with the other methods).

Given the limitations and issues of AP, I think I'm already figuring out the best options to use for various situations but based on what I'm hearing from others here, the jerkiness appears to be a flaw only some cars have it. Remember, the car I test drove at the dealer didn't have that problem. I tested forcing the disengage with steering and it was smooth.
I think those who have the same problem with their cars should contact Tesla and maybe then Tesla will address it. It has to be some part or a setting that needs to corrected.

Overall, I feel that my mind is having to work harder with AP than without it because I can't completely trust it yet. Does anyone feel the same way?

What makes Tesla's AP so bad and what are the better implementations?

- No one is forced to use autopilot.
- There are multiple ways of disengaging autopilot. OP is well aware of them.
- OP is purposely choosing one method and complaining about it.

When coming to a stop light, if I see a lane open up I'll sometimes take over by yanking on the wheel to switch lanes manually. Autosteer gets disabled, but cruise control is still set. We're all physically different, but I've never felt like my car is out of my control.

I believe you because I test drove a car that didn't jerk much, like yours. You got lucky my friend, your car doesn't behave like mine.

No. It was new for me when I first started, but its worked better than I expected. I think I trust it a bit too much.

Overall, I feel that my mind is having to work harder with AP than without it because I can't completely trust it yet. Does anyone feel the same way?

Post a video of this. Basic AP goes "straight" and doesn't make left/right turns. One time I've had AP try following the car ahead of me through a green light that drifted to the left turn lane, but that never happen since even at the same intersection.

I disengage or override AP all the time on surface roads to pass people. I don't see why you're so flustered by controlling your car.

For instance, the other day I was driving on a single lane road with autosteer engaged. As I was approaching an intersection, a new left-only lane started on my left side. I needed to continue going straight but weirdly the car decided to move into the left-only lane. My immediate reaction was to turn the steering back to straight position. Now, am I supposed to predict that weird move and turn the right indicator on ahead of time to stay in the same lane!? Or, am I supposed to push the stalk up (I'd be already in left-only lane by then) and then change back to right lane?
See what I'm saying? There were several other situations where my instinct was to go for the steering to disengage (one step as opposed to two with the other methods).

I've had AP trying to go into left-turn lanes in its own, not following another car. I know 2 locations where it did that in a reproducible way... Also at one intersection I frequently drive through, the lanes do not line up very well through an intersection, and on AP it feels like it wants to steer into the wrong lane (I don't let it continue to see what it will do as there are always other vehicles around).