Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disengaging AP on highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently took Delivery and noticed that I have had multiple occasions where I had to disengage autopilot during upcoming slowdown/stand still traffic on the highway due to the vehicle not slowing down enough

Almost got rear ended when I left autopilot do the slowdown and the force it uses braking is unforrable to say the least

My previous model y with radar did not feel this abrupt, don't know if this is unnatural or the norm now with these updates, since the previous car was on v10

You have to ease on the accelerator when you disengage autopilot to maintain speed. Otherwise the car is doing what it’s supposed to. It’s the same as driving w/o autopilot and suddenly taking your foot fully off the accelerator.
No my issue is leaving auto pilot to slow down on its own. I usually manually disable it because it brakes way to hard abruptly, so I'm having to avoid using it when I anticipate a slow down coming

I have not had this issue. (currently on 2022.20.7) I did increase the AP following distance though. It's ultra smooth and adjusts appropriate distance with speed and only slows down abruptly when traffic slows suddenly. I only really use it on divided highways. Works really well, for the most part...

The only thing I noticed with AP is that it has trouble with certain curves. Most curves are well engineered and have a consistent radius but, when the radius tightens mid curve, my Y will drift from mid lane and nearly cross the lane divider sometimes hitting the road turtles. This can be alarming to a driver that happens to be in that lane next to you. There are certain known curves I will disengage AP for if there is traffic. This behavior is consistent and repeatable.

Reactions: Hamtaro7
We have both of our cars for 4 years now and I do feel the software updates after V10 made AP follow closer and slow down later. We used to set distance to 2 or 3 back in the days. Now we set them to 4 or higher. But even at 4 or 5, if the freeway slow down ahead in quarter mile to like 35 and you are going at 75, AP waits far too long for me to start slowing.

Reactions: DSolie and Hamtaro7
I even have the distance set to 5 and it still doesn't slow early enough
You just need to trust it more. I know this seems like a simple answer but the AP (and FSD beta) driving style isn't the same as yours (or mine).

I'm hoping over time we can get some more fine tuning options on driving style (safety, comfort, convenience, efficiency) where we can try to match how we drive. It may never be possible to match how we drive because AP/FSD will always be safer than us and ultimately doesn't match our driving style...for example we may drive too aggressive or reckless and just don't realize it.

You just need to trust it more. I know this seems like a simple answer but the AP (and FSD beta) driving style isn't the same as yours (or mine).
When we got the cars a few years back, AP (or should really be TACC part of AP) acceleration and braking distance style is almost exactly like my driving style. I even mentioned it to my wife. I feel like since the introduction of FSD beta... it has gone backward. Even my wife noticed it and she drives very aggressively.

I trust it that the car will have plenty of room to stop. I even let it do its thing if there is no car following behind me. What I don't trust is the car behind could stop fast enough.

Same here, it brakes way too late for my liking in traffic.
I even have the distance set to 5 and it still doesn't slow early enoug
When we got the cars a few years back, AP (or should really be TACC part of AP) acceleration and braking distance style is almost exactly like my driving style. I even mentioned it to my wife. I feel like since the introduction of FSD beta... it has gone backward. Even my wife noticed it and she drives very aggressively.

I trust it that the car will have plenty of room to stop. I even let it do its thing if there is no car following behind me. What I don't trust is the car behind could stop fast enough.
Yes this exactly, ive had two occasions this week that I almost got rear ended when - trusting AP - the car behind me had to go on the shoulder or else it would have been a contact. I'm sure they were angry because it doesnt feel natural almost like a brake check and it's super dangerous especially when on the left lane highway

One theory I got is that maybe the new software now only uses Vision (Camera) even when older cars like mine got radar sensors. Or maybe it is using both and is not working out as well than when it was just using radar sensors. Or it could be that the new software works better on MCU3 and I only got MCU2.

Setting the following distance on 2-3 makes the car brake way to late for my liking. 4-5 works for me. I’ve noticed a big difference on the transition from slowing down in traffic. It’s a bit sooner and smoother

Part of this is personal preference and driving style. There are also regional differences in driving styles - we had a neighbor from New Jersey and I can tell you he was much more aggressive than the average MN driver!

I've noticed the same thing - FSD and TACC both tend to brake much later than I would prefer. They always brake in time but if someone's behind you and not paying attention I can see how it would cause an issue. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any settings to adjust this. I've actually gotten in the habit of disengaging TACC and managing the braking myself when I'm on roads that have traffic lights. I can often slow early and time my approach so I don't need to stop rather than going full speed up to the light and then braking hard like Tesla tends to do. Thinking about it, my Mother drove the same way - maybe she taught it!