Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disinfecting options for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hqdefault.jpg

I have the same question. My wife is a nurse and everytime she comes home we disinfect the items she brings home such as phone and backpacks, lunch bags with alcohol or bleach type spray. And you can see within months the plastic on the phone cases and colors starts to break down. We haven't done it to our M3...I am sure the interior would break down too.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I’d be more worried about the room full of people where you are taking delivery than the inside of the car (assuming you are not having it delivered).

Are you over 60 or have underlying health problems (especially lung or compromised immune system)? If not, covid19 is mostly a mild illness in people otherwise. Some people don’t even know they have it. It isn’t Ebola. Unless you are holed up in a bunker, you are likely to be exposed in a lot of places anyway - work, the grocery store, etc. Step back and take a chill pill and practice some reasonable stuff like washing your hands and staying 3 feet away from strangers where possible.

A virus doesn't really live long outside of a body. Max 24 hours, but most much shorter.
If you're that worried. Take delivery and then park the car until the next day.

You'd probably have to lick wet spittle from someone in your car to catch anything, even if someone was in there hacking up a lung, you'll be fine after a few minutes.

Wow. Just... wow.

A virus doesn't really live long outside of a body. Max 24 hours, but most much shorter.
If you're that worried. Take delivery and then park the car until the next day.

You'd probably have to lick wet spittle from someone in your car to catch anything, even if someone was in there hacking up a lung, you'll be fine after a few minutes.

might be helpful for people to actually know what they are talking about when posting info related to this. This info completely inaccurate.

The New Coronavirus Can Live On Surfaces For 2-3 Days — Here's How To Clean Them

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

Soapy water. The virus has a lipid membrane, ie fat. Soap breaks apart fats. Using soapy water will break any virus apart. Sanitizer, bleach and other products are only necessary for convenience when soapy water is not available. Otherwise, just use soapy water. Soapy water won't harm your vehicle, like alcohol and bleach products.

Having said that, cars are typically shipped with plastic covers over parts that may be touched. When I got mine, the sunshades still had plastic covering it. The interior dash was covered in plastic dust, the kind from the manufacturing process. I doubt anyone had ever been in mine, other than the delivery person. If you have to disinfect things, just wipe the steering wheel, the driver's seat and adjustment buttons, the screen, the door handle, the frunk lid, trunk lid, where you press to close or open. Rear seat latch. Seatbelt. the Drive stalk and the wiper stalk. The door open button, window buttons, door handle.

Last edited:
Soapy water. The virus has a lipid membrane, ie fat. Soap breaks apart fats. Using soapy water will break any virus apart. Sanitizer, bleach and other products are only necessary for convenience when soapy water is not available. Otherwise, just use soapy water. Soapy water won't harm your vehicle, like alcohol and bleach products.

Having said that, cars are typically shipped with plastic covers over parts that may be touched. When I got mine, the sunshades still had plastic covering it. The interior dash was covered in plastic dust, the kind from the manufacturing process. I doubt anyone had ever been in mine, other than the delivery person. If you have to disinfect things, just wipe the steering wheel, the driver's seat and adjustment buttons, the screen, the door handle, the frunk lid, trunk lid, where you press to close or open. Rear seat latch. Seatbelt. the Drive stalk and the wiper stalk. The door open button, window buttons, door handle.
This. For convenience if you must use a wipe, use something like a face cloth like Biore, the soap will break down the virus and items like Biore cloths have a moisturizer in them which actually helps condition the surface. Regular automotive interior cleaners are just as good, but don’t forget to condition the surface again.

How about just washing your hands? People are going to great lengths to accomplish something that at best is equivalent to washing your hands. Drive it home and wash your hands.
This is BY FAR the best. Don't touch your face until right after washing your hands. Walk in the house and ALWAYS head straight to the sink for a good 20 seconds. Passing a sink wash your hands. Nothing does a better job of disassembling a virus (or bacteria) than good old fashion SOAP and water.

Thinking that you have decontaminated your steering wheel (or whatever) when you have already touched doors, pens, tables, bags papers and everything you come into contact with in the outside world is building a false security. WASH your hands no matter what.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobRain
This is BY FAR the best. Don't touch your face until right after washing your hands. Walk in the house and ALWAYS head straight to the sink for a good 20 seconds. Passing a sink wash your hands. Nothing does a better job of disassembling a virus (or bacteria) than good old fashion SOAP and water.

Thinking that you have decontaminated your steering wheel (or whatever) when you have already touched doors, pens, tables, bags papers and everything you come into contact with in the outside world is building a false security. WASH your hands no matter what.

If you’re in your house all day and nobody else has been there and nobody has delivered a package to your house etc (contaminated packages etc) then you really don’t have to go to any major extremes or wash more than normal.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Mach and LAFA

This. I’ve trained my kids since they were 3 to go straight to the sink to wash their hands for about 20 seconds any time they’ve been out of the house and return to the house.

Reactions: lardog