Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disinfecting options for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree wash hand is important. But it is also important to disinfect any surfaces that you and your family may touch. I have a 5 years old and a 2 years old. Let’s be realistic it is impossible to ask them not to touch their mouth and nose while sitting in the car.

If I were in California, UV and high temperature from the sun would do the job. Unfortunately, I am in Ohio. It is mostly cloudy and cold these days.

Unless you are going to massage soapy water into your seats, steering wheel and doors for 30 seconds and then rinse it off with a hose, the only substances that will actually “disinfect” will likely discolor or damage the surfaces in your car.

The CDC recommends you disinfect high traffic surfaces like doorknobs, etc. The 1 or 2 people that were prepping your car prior to delivery does not constitute anything remotely high risk.

They also do not know if you can even get it from surfaces (CDC): “On the other hand, transmission of novel coronavirus to persons from surfaces contaminated with the virus has not been documented. Transmission of coronavirus occurs much more commonly through respiratory droplets than through fomites.”

The delivery center room full of people is a million times more dangerous than the inside of your newly delivered car (which 5 people disagreed with when I posted this lol).

Try actually reading information from reliable sources instead of a group of uninformed idiots on facebook.

(CDC)
  • “The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
    • Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
    • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
  • These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people

• Disagree
Reactions: Type 5 and rklip
Being in the medical field and having dealt with and being trained in virus protection, I can safely say that washing your hands with soapy water is the best way to prevent transmission. However the OP asked about disinfecting his car for precaution. Nothing wrong with extra precaution. The counters and things in the hospital aren’t left disinfected just because the staff washes their hands.

Now, I see the links saying the wipes and alcohol are fine on our interior. It makes sense since it’s not real leather, just seems weird to use it. If you’re worried about it drying out, the soapy water is best. But as it was said above, you’re not really going to soak and scrub the entire thing and hose it out. I would say light soapy water and hit the steering wheel then wipe it with a damp cloth and dry. Hit the hard surfaces like the door handles etc (high traffic areas like stated above) with the Clorox wipes. Leave the seats. If you’re worried then just throw your clothes in the wash when you get home.

As for the delivery center, they are correct that all the people really is the most significant risk of infection. The only thing you can do is wear an N95 mask or higher. If you don’t have one then distancing and hand washing is the only way to decrease probability, but that’s not sure protection.

Either way, enjoy the car!!!

Unless you wash your hands right before you enter your car every time, you are potentially depositing germs on your steering wheel, which may linger for days, we don't really know yet. Wasn't the steering wheel in the model 3 actual leather until around mid-2019? Since that's the main thing I touch, I'd like to know an easy way to disinfect it that won't ruin it.

Unless you wash your hands right before you enter your car every time, you are potentially depositing germs on your steering wheel, which may linger for days, we don't really know yet. Wasn't the steering wheel in the model 3 actual leather until around mid-2019? Since that's the main thing I touch, I'd like to know an easy way to disinfect it that won't ruin it.

You are correct about you putting the germs on your own wheel. I don't know about the leather, but here's what you do:

1. Rag with Soapy water, wash the wheel
2. Rag damp with only water, wipe the soap off
3. Dry rag
4. Leather conditioner

I would say just use some hand sanitizer or a wipe, whichever you have, before getting in the car so you don't have to keep wiping down your wheel.

I bought some 70% ipa lens cleaner packets (zeiss or equiv) and I use a fresh packet whenever I feel the need to 'sterilize' the steering wheel.

I'm going a bit more extreme, though; when I'm out, I'm wearing gloves and a mask. when I enter the car, I remove my gloves and put them on the rear flooring, in a bag (I need a better solution). once the gloves are off (lol), then I can touch things. I can now remove my mask, put it in a plastic ziplock and put that in the center console. NOW I can drive.

sigh.

fwiw.

Reactions: GasDoc84
Adam’s Polishes (they may be a bit pricey, but they do make a nice product) just introduced a new interior detailer with Microban. FedEx says my order will deliver today, so I haven’t tried it yet, but I do expect it to be good. Microban will certainly help my germiphobia.

I just read the cleaning section of my manual. Although, if the steering wheel is covered with leather, it my need special soap which is not detailed in the manual. Tesla is a little slow to respond. Thanks to all the owners who have posted here. Tesla may soon update their DIYs to address concerns with respect to COVID-19. Stay safe TMC.

Unless you are going to massage soapy water into your seats, steering wheel and doors for 30 seconds and then rinse it off with a hose, the only substances that will actually “disinfect” will likely discolor or damage the surfaces in your car.

The CDC recommends you disinfect high traffic surfaces like doorknobs, etc. The 1 or 2 people that were prepping your car prior to delivery does not constitute anything remotely high risk.

They also do not know if you can even get it from surfaces (CDC): “On the other hand, transmission of novel coronavirus to persons from surfaces contaminated with the virus has not been documented. Transmission of coronavirus occurs much more commonly through respiratory droplets than through fomites.”

The delivery center room full of people is a million times more dangerous than the inside of your newly delivered car (which 5 people disagreed with when I posted this lol).

Try actually reading information from reliable sources instead of a group of uninformed idiots on facebook.

(CDC)
  • “The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
    • Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
    • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
  • These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people
Well, the CDC is an organization that dropped the ball on this one big time. I'd put more trust in Dr. David Price at Cornell, an intensivist who spends his whole day in proximity to Covid infected people. It is certainly stupid to put yourself in the path of anyone's cough today, but aside from that, for most people he makes a great case that your hands are the problem. Try this one: vimeo.com/399733860. My only qualifications: Dermatologist, got the disease from asymptomatic patient when I was not clued into my hand/face problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: KenC and GasDoc84
I just scheduled my FSD Computer upgrade for my M3. It’s my understanding that the technician does this by accessing the electronics under the dashboard. If s/he is not wearing a mask then their exhalations are potentially infectious depending on everyone with whom they’ve been inside of social distance within the last 7 to 10 days, even if they don’t presently have any symptoms. Thus it would seem prudent to consider the entire interior as potentially contaminated. Since I’m 75, my risk of death if I get infected Is on the order of 50%, therefore I intend to: let the car sit in the hot Texas sun for at least a half hour after installation, then open widows and run fan a couple of minutes while I wait outside, wear mask and gloves to drive it home (without turning on AC), wash hands at home, let it sit overnight. Probably wipe with disinfect next morning. That outta do it.

I just scheduled my FSD Computer upgrade for my M3. It’s my understanding that the technician does this by accessing the electronics under the dashboard. If s/he is not wearing a mask then their exhalations are potentially infectious depending on everyone with whom they’ve been inside of social distance within the last 7 to 10 days, even if they don’t presently have any symptoms. Thus it would seem prudent to consider the entire interior as potentially contaminated. Since I’m 75, my risk of death if I get infected Is on the order of 50%, therefore I intend to: let the car sit in the hot Texas sun for at least a half hour after installation, then open widows and run fan a couple of minutes while I wait outside, wear mask and gloves to drive it home (without turning on AC), wash hands at home, let it sit overnight. Probably wipe with disinfect next morning. That outta do it.
You can get 70% isopropyl in a spray bottle and spray down the whole interior and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

@RoyC Can’t they stick one of those “air con air bombs” in there with a disinfectant agent, these are anti-bacterial and designed to kill off the types of germs that sit in under-used climate heating systems, that should help a lot.

This is the level of thinking that everyone needs to go to, if we all stay super-diligent there is a much better chance of infection control.

I’m awaiting delivery and will be asking the UK delivery centre to demonstrate their approach to ensuring my vehicle is infection-free. A nice isolation period on long ship ride helps - but it’s the contact points from docks to me that is less certain.