TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

"Dislike" has changed to "Disagree"

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Andyw2100, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I noticed just a little while ago that at some point pretty recently--perhaps the last day--the "Dislike" button has changed to "Disagree."

I think this is probably an attempt by the site admins to "soften" the meaning of the dislike button. I just wonder if people will be more likely to use it now.

I'm not sure how I feel about the change, but wanted to bring it to people's attention, as I have not seen it written about elsewhere.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Good. I don't like to be disliked. I'm ok with people disagreeing with me. Now if they dislike me, they'll have to spell it out. :D

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

But then the Like but should be changed to Agree?:confused:

• Like x 4
  4. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

- i'm just happy to know if somebody reads my posts :rolleyes:

• Funny x 6
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Dstrohl

Dstrohl Member

While I agree with BerTX in terms of the feelings about dislike v. disagree, it feels like in terms of being a quick button, at least the dislike option generally doesn't need an explanation whereas the disagree really needs something more.

I think that a user should not be able to click on the disagree button unless they also post a reply. (Though I don't know if that can be done.) This was the case for the dislike button as well (in my mind), but I think it is actually more important with "disagree".

If someone disagrees with something, they should be specific about what they are disagreeing with... is it the entire premise of the post, or simply a specific fact... or are they disagreeing with the overall conclusion?

So, for what it's worth, my vote is to either remove both of them altogether or force people to post when clicking. (or, I guess, go back to the "dislike", which I disliked, but generally ignored when looking at posts.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I'd say it's more to clarify the meaning rather than to soften it. While extending the standard like feature, we also considered additional ratings such as "Agree" and "Disagree" among others totalling to about 10, but decided to consolidate down to 6. We were keeping "Like" (since that's an expected option) so a "Dislike" button seemed natural. I liked what you said, I didn't like what you said. Dislike could mean I disagree with what you said, but was intended to be more broad in that I could dislike what you're saying, but not necessarily disagree with you. In retrospect, that muddies things a but.

The feature is there to be used.

• Informative x 1
  7. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

Over the years, being a true geek and a total nerd, I have become so accustomed to people disliking me that my reaction is now, "OK, so what else is new?" My pocket protector protects me.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  8. Andyw2100

Looks like it!

@Ryan MF has already disagreed with my opening, "informative" post. :)

9. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

I was just testing out my new disagree privileges ;)

• Funny x 2
  10. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Glad you posted...I noticed this ~ 3days ago and searched for a thread harping on it. I Didn't find anything, so I assumed it had been implemented long ago and I never noticed. FWIW, I dislike it. :D

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. Andyw2100

Well, they work.

And you are now responsible for exactly 11.11 % of all the disagrees / dislikes I have ever received on TMC, so thanks for testing on me.

12. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Maybe he was just testing it out to see if clicking on it truly results in a "Disagree" rather than in a "Dislike". :)

EDIT: Confirmed. :)

• Like x 1
  13. Andyw2100

Perhaps.

And perhaps next he will test whether or not it is possible to remove or change a rating that has been given. (Helpful Hint: It is.)

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

The Dislike was confusing, I've seen it used when someone said something that was unpopular and I've also seen it when someone told a story of something sucky that happened to them. It was confusing whether you disliked the person's situation or their opinion. If the mods think about adding any more categories, something that conveys empathy for someone's plight might be an option I'd like to see.

Like if someone takes delivery of their car and gets rear ended before they even get home, you want to convey that you feel for them.

• Like x 4