Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Dislike" has changed to "Disagree"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I noticed just a little while ago that at some point pretty recently--perhaps the last day--the "Dislike" button has changed to "Disagree."

I think this is probably an attempt by the site admins to "soften" the meaning of the dislike button. I just wonder if people will be more likely to use it now.

I'm not sure how I feel about the change, but wanted to bring it to people's attention, as I have not seen it written about elsewhere.

While I agree with BerTX in terms of the feelings about dislike v. disagree, it feels like in terms of being a quick button, at least the dislike option generally doesn't need an explanation whereas the disagree really needs something more.

I think that a user should not be able to click on the disagree button unless they also post a reply. (Though I don't know if that can be done.) This was the case for the dislike button as well (in my mind), but I think it is actually more important with "disagree".

If someone disagrees with something, they should be specific about what they are disagreeing with... is it the entire premise of the post, or simply a specific fact... or are they disagreeing with the overall conclusion?

So, for what it's worth, my vote is to either remove both of them altogether or force people to post when clicking. (or, I guess, go back to the "dislike", which I disliked, but generally ignored when looking at posts.

I think this is probably an attempt by the site admins to "soften" the meaning of the dislike button.
I'd say it's more to clarify the meaning rather than to soften it. While extending the standard like feature, we also considered additional ratings such as "Agree" and "Disagree" among others totalling to about 10, but decided to consolidate down to 6. We were keeping "Like" (since that's an expected option) so a "Dislike" button seemed natural. I liked what you said, I didn't like what you said. Dislike could mean I disagree with what you said, but was intended to be more broad in that I could dislike what you're saying, but not necessarily disagree with you. In retrospect, that muddies things a but.

I just wonder if people will be more likely to use it now.
The feature is there to be used.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
The Dislike was confusing, I've seen it used when someone said something that was unpopular and I've also seen it when someone told a story of something sucky that happened to them. It was confusing whether you disliked the person's situation or their opinion. If the mods think about adding any more categories, something that conveys empathy for someone's plight might be an option I'd like to see.

Like if someone takes delivery of their car and gets rear ended before they even get home, you want to convey that you feel for them.