Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kissimmee, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and charging at your vacation home is still free!
Hi Bruce,

I get the gist of your remark, that is it saves money. However, it isn't free for the owner of the vacation home. To be more precise charging at a Supercharger (for those who aren't grandfathered at zero) is going to be $.28 per kWh versus charging at a vacation home in Kissimmee with Kissimmee Utility Authority residential rates is going to cost the owner around $.136 per kWh. So the Supercharger is twice as expensive for those that must pay for the charge. For those renting the vacation home the charging is "free", but likely the owner has embedded an allowance for uitlity costs in the overall rental fee.

Larry

Hi Bruce,

I get the gist of your remark, that is it saves money. However, it isn't free for the owner of the vacation home. To be more precise charging at a Supercharger (for those who aren't grandfathered at zero) is going to be $.28 per kWh versus charging at a vacation home in Kissimmee with Kissimmee Utility Authority residential rates is going to cost the owner around $.136 per kWh. So the Supercharger is twice as expensive for those that must pay for the charge. For those renting the vacation home the charging is "free", but likely the owner has embedded an allowance for uitlity costs in the overall rental fee.

Larry

Right-on. I comes out of my bottom line. I didn't raise rates for it, but it attracts more bookings which is worth it.

Reactions: Larry Chanin
Sorry for the mix up with the supercharge.info dots - I saw the other one was W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway and incorrectly assumed it was the same one!

I've added them with the names below. Both locations showing up as being in Kissimmee on Google Maps, but seeing as Tesla calls the other one "Celebration" I'll go with that. The western one (this thread) is even further from Kissimmee so it doesn't make sense to called it that, so I named it "Four Corners". If locals disagree with these names, let me know and I'll adjust based on that. If any local forum mods agree with this they may want to rename this thread to suit, so it is less confusing.

upload_2019-4-7_12-26-48.png

I've added them with the names below. Both locations showing up as being in Kissimmee on Google Maps, but seeing as Tesla calls the other one "Celebration" I'll go with that. The western one (this thread) is even further from Kissimmee so it doesn't make sense to called it that, so I named it "Four Corners". If locals disagree with these names, let me know and I'll adjust based on that. If any local forum mods agree with this they may want to rename this thread to suit, so it is less confusing.

For sure the Celebration one is named correctly. Any local refers to that area as such. As for the location for the Supercharger in this thread, I'd accept "Four Corners" or "West Kissimmee".

Reactions: gavine
Sorry for the mix up with the supercharge.info dots - I saw the other one was W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway and incorrectly assumed it was the same one!

View attachment 394461
Moderator's Note: I am going to follow this suggestion and declare the other thread as the "Coming Soon" Celebration Supercharger Station as shown on the Find Us page.
I've added the address for clarification.

In the absence of an official Tesla designation, I'm going to leave this thread's title unchanged from what the original thread starter provided, but I've added the address for clarification. When Tesla provides an official label I will change the title of this thread accordingly.

Larry

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BBryson and Chuq
Drove around the Wawa this evening. No sign of construction or markings on the curbs or pavement.
Nope, no building permit has been issued yet. So, nothing to see there.

As for progress on that front though, one of the hold ups--besides just the technical building plans corrections that Tesla has to submit in order to meet the local building codes and get approval--was that Tesla needed to apply for a new/revised Site Development Plan (SDP) to be approved. You can think of this step as a sort of Planning/Zoning/Development review and approval because electric vehicle charging stations weren't an approved use as part of the initial SDP when the WaWa was built. Well, Tesla submitted their application on 2019-04-08 and it is now working its way through the review/approval process--here's the link: Osceola County SDP19-0050. It looks like as of 2019-04-16 they got comments back with a note that fees are now due and a short list of additional documents that need to be provided. But there are still a few subsections whose initial reviews haven't been completed.

At this point, I would say that so long as the application doesn't need to go before any local government commissions for rubber stamping or confirmation, then it's possible that the revised SDP will be approved by the middle to the end of May. How long it would then take Tesla to get their building permit application approved, I've no idea. But I wouldn't really expect to see construction before the beginning of June at the earliest.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin
At this point, I would say that so long as the application doesn't need to go before any local government commissions for rubber stamping or confirmation, then it's possible that the revised SDP will be approved by the middle to the end of May. How long it would then take Tesla to get their building permit application approved, I've no idea. But I wouldn't really expect to see construction before the beginning of June at the earliest.
Update:
  1. The plans for Tesla's Site Development Plan (SDP) application at this location, which has been the big barrier to progress for their building permit application, were approved and stamped in mid-may (I think this was what @lilcutey was identifying in their post above). The last outstanding task on the Planning/Development side of things is the Pre-Construction Meeting.
  2. On the actual building permit application front there's been excellent progress as well. All of the technical section reviews have been completed and approved. The last outstanding "revision" required prior to approval and issuance of the permit is completion of the same Pre-Construction Meeting mentioned in #1 to be completed. This could happen as early as next week, but likely won't be until at least the second week of June (I never expect meetings to be scheduled quickly).
One other minor "change" that may also be required prior to the permit being issued is for Tesla to have selected and assigned a licensed General Contractor for the project if they haven't already. But that might be a prereq for scheduling the Pre-Construction Meeting anyway. The jist of the update being that this location is now pretty close to being ready for construction. Nno more plans changes or updates will be required.