TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Disneyland Autopia Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by erthquake, Nov 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. erthquake

erthquake Member

My family goes to Disneyland quite a bit. My son can't reach the gas pedal yet, but he loves steering the cars on Autopia. I'm glad he has fun, but ever since I reserved a Model 3, I've come to detest the ride a bit. I used to love it, but the fumes and noise have started to get annoying.

Chevron used to sponsor the ride, but last time we were there I noticed Honda is now sponsoring it. I started thinking, why couldn't Tesla sponsor the ride and get more people excited about electric cars? The more I think about it though, I not sure it'd be such a good idea:
    • Tesla doesn't really need the publicity at this point. They can't build cars fast enough to meet demand at this point. Though it might help further Musk's goal of worldwide EV adoption.
    • The slow, safe speed of the Autopia cars wouldn't really show off how quick EVs are.
    • Riders might miss the sound of the gas engines on the ride.
    • The ride is rather herky-jerky. Maybe it's not ideal for people to associate Tesla with bouncing around the road.
    The cars are pretty hideous looking. Maybe GM should sponsor it instead :p

2. Trips

Trips Member

A little off topic but my 8 yr old niece knows I ordered the Model 3. I have been teaching her about EV's the last couple years.

Now every time she sees me she asks if I have the M3 yet. I told her that she can drive it next year. (sit in the drivers seat while the car drives) Her hope is to drive home from school on her last day of 3rd grade. It is great to teach, educate and get younger kids excited about EV's.

PS: Before everyone freaks out, yes I will make sure it is 99% safe. Yes, she lives in a town of under 500 people. Yes, she has operated a $700,000+ autonomous combine harvester.

• Like x 1
  3. Geoff

Geoff Member

@Trips - I wish you were my relative!! Ha!

• Funny x 1
  4. larmor

larmor Active Member

Tesla is not some mickey mouse product...

• Funny x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  5. ApauloThirteen

Have both gas and electric with lines for each. Similar to how people will wait longer to sit in the front row of the coasters.

Then adjust cars mix (EV vs gas) accordingly over time.

:)

• Like x 1
  6. f-stop

f-stop Member

Hong Kong Disneyland's version of Autopia uses electric cars - also sponsored by Honda
    From videos I've seen, the ride is still pretty slow and herky-jerky bouncing around the guide rails, and there's even some sort of strange ICE-like (?) sound effects. So, no smelly fumes like the original version but still probably not an experience to associate with the Tesla brand

7. Frank Schwab

Frank Schwab Member

My kids liked Autopia because it seemed like a real car - and the noise and fumes added to the experience. Having all electric cars would, well, sanitize the experience (which, of course, is a Disney trademark) possibly reducing the enjoyment for the kids.

8. Frank Schwab

Frank Schwab Member

Meant to say that the Tesla experience is probably best represented by the California Screamin' roller coaster at Disney California Adventure. That linear motor acceleration on flat ground at the start is probably the best at generating the "Tesla Grin" of any other coaster I've been on...

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Yes, this is much more representative of the Tesla experience. Autopia just reinforces the notion that electric cars are slow go-carts.

10. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Your kids need to breath toxic fumes and have noise to maximize their enjoyment? I guess then horseback riding in the fresh mountain air must really lack enjoyment.

In my view, real cars don't have noise or fumes and I think the ride would be much better with the instant torque of electric mini cars.

11. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

A better option would be to replace Test Track from Chevy to Tesla sponsorship. EPCOT is perfect for Tesla.

• Like x 1
  12. David99

David99 Active Member

Tesla created a lot of media and public attention without classic advertising or sponsorship. The Autopia ride feels rather dated already. I don't think it's a good match for Tesla to sponsor it. Maybe "California Screamin". The acceleration feels very much like launching a Tesla and it's done with open/flat electric motors so it's silent and very smooth.

The ultimate acceleration experience is at Knott's Berry Farm. I forgot the name of the ride, but it accelerates 0-80 in 2.3 seconds. It's just plain brutal!

13. f-stop

f-stop Member

I remember when I rode California Screamin' many years ago, I thought the acceleration with its linear induction motor was pretty amazing. Now when I look at its specs (0-55mph in 4 sec) compared to a Model S it doesn't sound so impressive!

14. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

The limo launch of the Rock-and-Rollercoaster is the closest thing Disney has to P100DL acceleration.

15. erthquake

erthquake Member

Excellent point! Drop your mic and walk off the stage :)

16. MikeDog77

MikeDog77 Member

Funny you mention this. I was just at Disneyland Paris(or whatever its called) and my kids drove the cars. I reminded them afterwards that is the only gas car they will ever drive.

• Like x 2