TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Larry Chanin, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#1 Larry Chanin, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    I sent the following email to Walt Disney World Resort:

Here is the response that I received:

For those of you interested in demonstrating that there will be a demand for electric chargers at Walt Disney Resorts, here is their email address:

WDW Guest Communications <[email protected]>

Larry

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tip: The Renaissance Hotel at SeaWorld (also convenient for Disney) offered me free charging overnight from a NEMA 14-50 outlet, plus free parking and free valet if you are a guest staying there.

3. Larry Chanin

Yes, there are other competing resort alternatives, a point which perhaps might be driven home to Disney management with sufficient reminders from their former Guests who happen to drive electric vehicles. :wink:

Here's an excellent example:

The Star Island Resort And Club

They have two level 2 chargers available to guests only.
    They claim to be about 4 miles from Disney World.

Larry

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

We have had similar responses in Anaheim.

5. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Ditto vfx. I've been nagging Disneyland ever since I got the Roadster.

Although apparently there is a hack to get to a 110v outlet in the Mickey & Friends garage. I haven't personally tried this yet but appreciate the info from whoever posted it: Disneyland - Mickey & Friends Parking Garage - Anaheim, CA - Recargo

If I'm there for the day, that will at least add enough to make me more comfortable about the round trip since I'm 85 miles away.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Don't know the garages well enough. Was just at the park on business last month. As usual I called and looked around and asked parking attendants (always useless). Important to note that employees buzz around in electric golf carts so there are plug-in places (and power for EVs) everywhere. Would it be best to start with Downtown Disney parking? Or maybe the Grand Californian parking garage like Torrey Pines did?

7. dadaleus

Sorry, what or who is Torrey Pines?

Mickey and Friends is the big structure if you follow the signs from SB I-5 to "Theme Park Parking". If you pull in through where you pay they'll guide you to ramps to the floor they want you to park on. What he seems to be saying on Recargo is that when you get to the level they are parking you on, ask the first attendant trying to guide you to let you go to the right (to the East side) and park in the last row on that side by the wall rather than in the row they are currently filling so you can park by a 110 outlet. Again, I haven't done this yet--it's just my reading of what he's saying on Recargo combined with my own pretty good familiarity with that structure.

If you're staying at a hotel, you could always ask the valet if you can find a place by a 110 outlet, or if you self park try to find one. No idea if that would work.

But it is ridiculous that Disney so far has refused to put in any dedicated EV support. I really hope this changes soon.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Torrey Pines is a beautiful similarly craftsman hotel (near you) resort_pic.jpg Three Blinks inside.

Disney Grand Californian grand-californian-downtown-disney.jpg Californian-hotel-front.jpg

The question is how do we get Disney to put some plugs in for us like their golfcarts?

Attached Files:

9. dadaleus

Ha! Well yes, I know THAT Torrey Pines. We visit regularly including having celebrated my wife's 40th there! I just wasn't understanding your meaning.

Agree completely.

10. Larry Chanin

Well, some Disney properties are enlightened, just not on the mainland. :frown:

EV Charging Station: Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa

There are at least 27 J1772 chargers at this Disney Resort, but I absolutely refuse to fly my Model S over to Hawaii. :wink:

userUpload.jpg

Larry

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Range is reduced by quite a bit when you add the wing package:rolleyes:

12. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

That's great to know!

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Hawaii is really on it's way with cars and charging. Makes more sense than just about anywhere (as Martin said long ago)

This is good info to approach Anaheim and Florida with. Do you have so wide pictures that show a row of them in Disney context?

14. Larry Chanin

This is the best I could find.

userUpload.jpg

Recargo says that there are 27 chargers. I have seen other reports of as much as 34 chargers.

Larry

15. dadaleus

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

AULANI_Resort_DISNEY_charging_stations-175x175.jpg Thanks
    Next time we talk to our Disney operations we can say and show pics that other Disney properties are doing it.

17. dadaleus

18. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Surprising and interesting that Disney does not have any charging stations. On the other hand its good to see that the competition is looking forward.

19. Larry Chanin

Yes, that's a point I made to a representative with Disney Guest Communications in a phone conversation this morning.

I sent another message to Disney last week highlighting the fact that we discovered that Disney now has chargers at their Hawaii resort and is furnishing them for their employees at Disneyland, and I questioned whether guest communications was aware of this when they responded to me earlier regarding the lack of demand. Since I provided my phone number they called me to say that nothing had changed, that is Disney World Resort has no plans install chargers for their guests. I asked the representative how we could help Disney change their mind. His response was to email Guest Communications.

[email protected]

It would be helpful for Florida residents to who plan to travel to Orlando with electric vehicles to make their opinions known to Disney that the lack of chargers at their resorts could hurt business.

Thanks.

Larry

20. Larry Chanin

I sent out an e-mail to our club members regarding this situation asking them to make their opinions known to Disney.

Here's an excerpt from one of our member's requests to Disney.

Larry