Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So are people really going to interrupt their visit to the park to move their car off the chargers?

Hi Jim,

No, not with this fee structure. However, they do have the option of changing it based on experience. Such as a $20/hr fee for charging more than 4 hours.

It goes without saying that just two chargers at Epcot are going to be almost useless considering the amount of PEVs that will require charging. However, rumor has it that finally Disney is about to start a program to install chargers on their properties. It remains to be seen how quickly this will be implemented.

Larry

Hi Jim,

No, not with this fee structure. However, they do have the option of changing it based on experience. Such as a $20/hr fee for charging more than 4 hours.

It goes without saying that just two chargers at Epcot are going to be almost useless considering the amount of PEVs that will require charging. However, rumor has it that finally Disney is about to start a program to install chargers on their properties. It remains to be seen how quickly this will be implemented.

Larry
Hey Larry,
I am excited to see any charger on Disney property. It does scratch the itch I had to charge while at a park. We'll just have to get there when they open!
From the picture on plugshare it looks like 4 Level twos at Epcot. Two per station.

Reno

...It goes without saying that just two chargers at Epcot are going to be almost useless considering the amount of PEVs that will require charging...

There's actually two stations with two plugs each. I agree that four is barely enough, but it's a great start! Hop on Disney's FB page and thank them for putting them in there, check in on Plugshare when you charge there, etc. The more documented use they get, the greater the chance they will add more! I remember when the futuristic monorail was put in. They finally are embracing the future of transportation by putting these stations in.

That's roughly the same as the cost of gas. Coincidence?

Cost of gas for what? What comparable luxury sports sedan only pays $24 for 200 miles of range? :biggrin:

Larry

Disregarding the adjective "comparable", I believe the Audi A7 TDI is one answer.:smile:

Hi Bill,

Good point. I would say that this Audi competes in the same class as the Model S.

So to respond to gavines's initial question, then I guess it must not be a mere coincidence.

Apparently Disney cleverly and deliberately selected this economical diesel sedan and set the cost of charging to be in the ball park. :wink:

Larry

Last edited:
This is a joke. Years of emails and phone calls to Disney Parks and they install four in the parking lot at Epcot? Heck they could've just taken the Siemens one from Innoventions and stuck it outside. There still are no options at any of the hotels on property save for a few light poles people intermittently gained access to. I'd wager this was more ChargePoint than Disney's doing. Normally I wouldn't be so angry but Disney is always spouting about their Green this, energy efficient that. Ellen's Energy Adventure with it's ancient solar pv, Diesel busses running all over the property while the electric monorail falls apart. Our last trip as DVC members was in 2013. We asked again about charging and were told no.

There's actually two stations with two plugs each. I agree that four is barely enough, but it's a great start! Hop on Disney's FB page and thank them for putting them in there, check in on Plugshare when you charge there, etc. The more documented use they get, the greater the chance they will add more! I remember when the futuristic monorail was put in. They finally are embracing the future of transportation by putting these stations in.

Hi Chris,

Like you I am a big Disney fan, but I have to respectfully disagree. Four chargers in the Epcot is certainly not a great start. When Disney makes meaningful progress to install chargers on their properties, particularly their hotels and resorts I will be happy to endorse their actions. However, I should point out that I started this thread in March, 2012 and only now are we beginning to see any movement on Disney's part.

In fairness they are in the process of installing a few chargers in their new garages in downtown Disney, but that is also a drop in the bucket. We also have a credible rumor that the Disney Vacation properties are considering installing chargers. I believe that they are not directly managed by Disney, so they probably will be able to move a bit quicker. Nevertheless, we don't know what their time table is.

Larry

Last edited:
Went to Epcot tonight, the cables on the stations are very long, and could handle a tesla pulled in nose first. I also saw they are on one side of the lot, that when full is closed early in the day, I asked a cast member and they said they can route you over there if needed. She also thought the stations at the other parks were already up, I said I have not seen them yet but she was sure animal kingdoms was installed already. She said they are an experiment that cost disney 10k a piece. I said its a great step we want to see, but the rate is pretty high considering it's a lot you pay to park in, 17/per day.

My wife had a question, as we are in the waiting period for our tesla delivery. If we were to plug into these ports, would we be charged the entire time they are plugged in, would we have to physically disconnect the cable or can I disable the charging either via the chargepoint app or tesla mobile app?

...My wife had a question, as we are in the waiting period for our tesla delivery. If we were to plug into these ports, would we be charged the entire time they are plugged in, would we have to physically disconnect the cable or can I disable the charging either via the chargepoint app or tesla mobile app?

It would charge the whole time, up to the battery level you set. When the car is done, it stops charging and stops the "meter" on the ChargePoint station. You can monitor it with the ChargePoint app and your Tesla app.

It would charge the whole time, up to the battery level you set. When the car is done, it stops charging and stops the "meter" on the ChargePoint station. You can monitor it with the ChargePoint app and your Tesla app.
Are you sure about that? Blink charges the entire time the car is plugged in, even after charging stops. This is to "encourage" freeing up charging stations when done so others can charge.

The Chargepoint Disney chargers charge by energy drawn from the station with a minimum billing amount.

Charging by time doesn't make sense here since you are likely going to be plugged in all day and I doubt they want to encourage customers to disrupt their day to move their car.

In fairness they are in the process of installing a few chargers in their new garages in downtown Disney, but that is also a drop in the bucket. We also have a credible rumor that the Disney Vacation properties are considering installing chargers. I believe that they are not directly managed by Disney, so they probably will be able to move a bit quicker. Nevertheless, we don't know what their time table is.

Larry

I had a conversation with a Disney representative and she informs me that the Disney Vacation Club resorts are managed by Disney.

To elaborate, I have been in contact with Disney management requesting that they provide us with some proactive communications regarding Walt Disney World's plans for the installation of electric chargers on their properties. They politely declined to provide that information at this time, other than to confirm that the Epcot chargers are operational.

Dear Lawrence,

Thank you for your response.

Again, I am very sorry for your continued disappointment regarding the information that is currently available for the future of electric vehicle charging stations at the Walt Disney World Resort. Please be assured that we have an expert team evaluating the best approach for our unique operational and technical needs moving forward. Unfortunately, we have no further details to share at this time. As I mentioned in our phone conversation, we will announce future offerings through our communications channels when the time is right. Please know, your feedback are very important to us and I am happy to share your comments with the appropriate areas. We thank you for your passion and dedication and hope to be able to provide additional information in the near future.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

Larry

Last edited:
Larry
Thank you for sharing this response. I am curious as to what channel they used to announce the Epcot chargers. I saw your post here of the official looking page announcing the chargers but I have not found that page anywhere other than here.

Reno

Larry
Thank you for sharing this response. I am curious as to what channel they used to announce the Epcot chargers. I saw your post here of the official looking page announcing the chargers but I have not found that page anywhere other than here.

Reno

Hi Jim,

I received the photo/document from a club member. It is not clear that the document that I posted here has been officially published on a web site yet, or that Disney has chosen to publically announce the availibility of the Epcot chargers yet. They did concede to me that the Epcot chargers existed, but wouldn't discuss whether they were pursuing any other theme parks.

I know the source of the document, and I can say that it is very credible, but in the interest of keeping the source out of any possible trouble it would be prudent for me to remain silent for the time being. The source stated that the Disney Vacation Club resorts were considering the installation of charging equipment, but no information is available regarding time tables or how serious they are. I classify this information as a credible rumor.

For whatever reason so far Disney World's policy is to reveal virtually no information concerning their on-going efforts to pursue charging equipment installations. For example, we know from public media, and other very credible sources, that Disney has installed charging equipment in a new garage in Downtown Disney that will presumably go operational when the garage is completed. Nevertheless, they wouldn't even confirm that to me in my conversations and email exchanges with management, nor would they confirm or deny the rumor we heard regarding the Disney Vacation Club resorts.

Larry

Last edited:
The two bonnet creek resorts have ev chargers that are free for guests. We've started staying there over the official disney hotels. Similar price as the budget hotels but way higher quality, free charging.

It's a shame disney hasn't gone full boar into this, and it's even more non-sensical that they're charging .36/kwh on their charge points after charging you $17 for the day.

I'm sure it was a pricing decision made by the same person who decided to add rfid chips to the disposable soda cups to cut down on the free refills.