Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But still no chargers at any of the resorts. I don't understand this reluctance to provide basic service at the hotel, not forcing me to drive to the park and hope a spot is available. I always thought Disney wanted you to use their transportation (buses, monorail, boats) and not clog the parking lots meant to be used by daily or off-site visitors.

Where? It really is perplexing why charging is still a problem at any of the parks or resorts.

There are towards the front parking area. If you tell the parking staff you need to charge they'll direct you accordingly. I would think they would be a fee as their is at Epcot. I saw them after I parked but didn't walk over to them to investigate. Didn't need a charge.

I stayed at the Old Key West resort and was able to back up to a NEMA 20 amp outlet near a AC unit and got 5mph during my stay for free using the correct adaptor. Check Plug Share. I added it with pics. You can do the same if you stay at a cabin at Fort Wilderness lodge. They have a 20amp outlet right at the parking spot for golf carts to charge. You could probably do a 40amp charge in a vacant RV camp site but I have never needed to while there so I can't confirm the process or if they want to charge you for that. Over the course of 2-3 days you can get a full charge (or close to it) off the standard 20amp outlet.

I just heard that there are now 4 Chargepoint Chargers at Animal Kingdom. Evidently they were installed about 3 months ago.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the lead. (By the way, it was great see you and Barbara on Sunday.)

It appears that there are two dual chargepoint chargers in the Animal Kingdom Theme Park parking lot. According to chargepoint it costs $.35 kwh minimum $1.50.

It appears that the Animal Kingdom Lodge still does not have chargers.

Larry

But still no chargers at any of the resorts. I don't understand this reluctance to provide basic service at the hotel, not forcing me to drive to the park and hope a spot is available. I always thought Disney wanted you to use their transportation (buses, monorail, boats) and not clog the parking lots meant to be used by daily or off-site visitors.

The frustrating part is they don't even need 240 volt chargers. Tampa International Airport put some very nice 110v/20a chargers with a J1772 connector in their long term garage. Perfect for destination charging when you will be there for a few days. They must be cheaper and they could install more than 4. Most people stay at Disney resorts for more than 2 days.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the lead. (By the way, it was great see you and Barbara on Sunday.)

Larry

The feeling is mutual although we missed Mary Ellen.

Disney has no clue or want to have chargers it used to be a place for innovation and ideas now its all about $$$$$$

I'm afraid Disney will never install HPWCs anywhere on Disney properties, even if they are donated for free by Tesla. The reason is simple...Disney can't charge a fee to the user for the electricity using HPWCs.

They are missing the big picture. Model S and X owners stay at luxury resorts. There are other luxury resorts in Orlando convenient to Disney theme parks that have chargers. So instead of paying less than $10 for electricity to attract Model S and X owners who pay around $300 -$400 per night or more to at say the Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc., those Tesla owners will be going to say the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek or the Waldorf Astoria who have charging. (The valet operations manage charging at both locations.)

PENNY WISE, POUND FOOLISH.

Larry

Last edited:
I'm afraid Disney will never install HPWCs anywhere on Disney properties, even if they are donated for free by Tesla. The reason is simple...Disney can't charge a fee to the user for the electricity using HPWCs.

They are missing the big picture. Model S and X owners stay at luxury resorts. There are other luxury resorts in Orlando convenient to Disney theme parks that have chargers. So instead of paying less than $10 for electricity to attract Model S and X owners who pay around $300 -$400 per night or more to at say the Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc., those Tesla owners will be going to say the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek or the Waldorf Astoria who have charging. (The valet operations manage charging at both locations.)

PENNY WISE, POUND FOOLISH.

Larry

It is interesting to note the number of luxury properties that opt for HPWC and the large number of lower level properties such as Hampton Inn and Four Points that also do. I have no idea whether there is reliable yield data on Tesla HPWC users vs all others but I do have a single anecdotal report. I recently stayed at a high priced southeastern US hotel with HPWC (I must leave it vague because my information source asked not to be quoted). The hotel GM asked to speak with me during my stay, specifically because I am an elite member of their loyalty program and my representative from the program had contacted the GM to ask how the charging was going' not a huge surprise because I now stay only at their properties that have EV charging, whether I have my car or not.

So, during our conversation the GM told me they have been monitoring results since they installed the HPWC some time ago. I was told they had 52% higher yield from Tesla drivers than the hotel as a whole, with specific mention of F&B revenue as a major factor. Coincidently I note that when I use HPWC I am prone to spend more on F&B myself, partly to keep my car charging.

Disney should be well-positioned to see increased yield also, not to mention the absolute level of occupancy resulting from HPWC. Not strictly comparable, I know, but a quick review of Select Registry experience might reveal a significant occupancy rise from that factor alone. For Disney in particular the number of people who drive is patently obvious by looking at their gargantuan parking facilities. Sadly, Disney has pretty strict profitcenteritis so they will not recognize parking features as contributors to hotel revenues, so far at least.

But as noted previously, HPWC is not needed on resort properties, just 120V, 20A. This would be 120 miles per day and most guests stay at least 2 days. This could be tied to wristband and the protective box for the outdoor outlet would open with the wristband. Disney could charge $5-$10 per day and not need to even monitor electricity used. The power is probably already in place from overhead parking lot lighting. The charging spots need not be in a prime location, just marked for room guests needing EV charging. So simple!

The frustrating part is they don't even need 240 volt chargers. Tampa International Airport put some very nice 110v/20a chargers with a J1772 connector in their long term garage. Perfect for destination charging when you will be there for a few days. They must be cheaper and they could install more than 4. Most people stay at Disney resorts for more than 2 days.

But as noted previously, HPWC is not needed on resort properties, just 120V, 20A. This would be 120 miles per day and most guests stay at least 2 days. This could be tied to wristband and the protective box for the outdoor outlet would open with the wristband. Disney could charge $5-$10 per day and not need to even monitor electricity used. The power is probably already in place from overhead parking lot lighting. The charging spots need not be in a prime location, just marked for room guests needing EV charging. So simple!

Yes, inexpensive low voltage would work for many visitors, but not all. I seriously doubt that you would be able to deliver 5 mph charging at these plugs at commercial locations where the three-phase voltage starts out at the transformer at 208 volts and is usually at around 200 volts or less at the charger at load, but I get your point.

One thing we should keep in mind is that we need to think beyond a few of Model Ss or Xs showing up needing a charge overnight. In the not too distant future we could be seeing dozens of Teslas needing a combination of both overnight charging and a relatively quick top off to visit other points of interest besides Disney. The host locations will have to balance the need for devoting more parking spaces to multiple slow charging sources versus a few faster charging sources as part of valet operations. So maybe the combination of both types of charging would fit the bill in the future.

The context of my earlier remarks focused specifically on luxury resorts. By way of example, remember our weekend getway event at the Epicurean. The Epicurean is a luxury hotel with just two HPWCs as part of the valet operations. However, for this event we had more than a dozen Model Ss show up and they weren't locals. They were from across the state so they definitely needed a charge to get home. This situation is a good simulation of what might happen in the future at Disney and other resorts. Having a few high capacity HPWCs as part of the already existing valet operations of a luxury hotel minimizes dedicated EV parking spaces and maximizes throughput because the valets are trained to swap out the Teslas on a 24/7 basis around the clock. All of our club members had a full charge to get home and many of them took excursions to visit other places.

Larry

Having a few high capacity HPWCs as part of the already existing valet operations of a luxury hotel minimizes dedicated EV parking spaces and maximizes throughput because the valets are trained to swap out the Teslas on a 24/7 basis around the clock.

I made this exact point to a management contact at Disneyland. That's before the put in the 30amp chargers in the day visitor parking structure, but I was speaking with regard to their hotels. They still don't have any chargers at their hotels unfortunately.

I made this exact point to a management contact at Disneyland. That's before the put in the 30amp chargers in the day visitor parking structure, but I was speaking with regard to their hotels. They still don't have any chargers at their hotels unfortunately.

Hi Jason,

Yes, I spoke with the executive in charge of charging at Walt Disney World (WDW) on this point some time ago, as well as a Disney executive and Tesla owner who happened to be a member of our club, but to no avail.

The only Disney resort that has chargers is in Hawaii. Apparently the WDW decision makers do not think that this precident of having chargers at a Disney resort has any bearing on their resort hotels.

Larry

Visited the Magic Kingdom today. The good news is that there are now 5 Chargepoint Level 2 chargers located in the handicapped area of the parking lot. the bad news is that they are not yet powered on. Construction on them , according to Plugshare started a month ago.
One single is located in the first row, two doubles are located along the edge parallel parking area.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Compare the cost of charging at Walt Disney World (WDW) with ChargePoint to using the SuperCharger at the Toll Road Oasis between I-75 and I-4. 75 cents to get there and 75 cents to return. That's it. All the benefits of the SuperCharger while at the Toll Road Oasis.

Yes, it's not right at WDW but a nice ride, never the less.

Just another point of view to consider.

Cheers

Compare the cost of charging at Walt Disney World (WDW) with ChargePoint to using the SuperCharger at the Toll Road Oasis between I-75 and I-4. 75 cents to get there and 75 cents to return. That's it. All the benefits of the SuperCharger while at the Toll Road Oasis.

Yes, it's not right at WDW but a nice ride, never the less.

Just another point of view to consider.

Cheers
The older I get the higher the value I place on my time. The most I have spent at Disney on charging while in the park is $11 which allowed driving straight home from the park.
That said you make a good point and Turkey Lake does have convenient amenitities.

The older I get the higher the value I place on my time. The most I have spent at Disney on charging while in the park is $11 which allowed driving straight home from the park.
That said you make a good point and Turkey Lake does have convenient amenitities.

Plus you get a good parking spot and if Disney makes money off of the chargers, they will be more likely to install more of them.

This probably is irrelevent to most people on this thread (which I know is in the Florida subsection), but Hong Kong Disneyland has at least one charger...I saw a post-refresh Model S charging there last week.

As an aside the parking lot at Hong Kong Disneyland is somewhat different from Disneyland in Anaheim, which is the only other Disney park I've been to. The parking lot was largely empty the day we were there, because so many guests there use public transportation to get to the park. Also, among the few dozen cars there, I saw two Teslas and a Ferrari which I think was a 458 Italia.

Bruce.