Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Disney hotels, I would think if they made 110V outlets available it would fill the need for most of their guest with EVs. Charge rate isn't an issue if your car is plugged in for over 48 hours.
For perspective Disney Resorts in Orlando are now charging nightly fees for parking for guest staying at the resorts. Disney is not providing any amenity unless there is profit in it.

Reactions: Larry Chanin
We went to Animal Kingdom yesterday followed by Disney Springs. Chargepoint showed available chargers at each location. In both cases a charger was blocked by a non-charging car. Both were Model S's even though there was a range of cars there (Bolt, i3, etc.) I wish I had a decal that I could stick on these people's windshields to tell these people what charging courtesy is. Luckily I was able to make it home.. barely.

We went to Animal Kingdom yesterday followed by Disney Springs. Chargepoint showed available chargers at each location. In both cases a charger was blocked by a non-charging car. Both were Model S's even though there was a range of cars there (Bolt, i3, etc.) I wish I had a decal that I could stick on these people's windshields to tell these people what charging courtesy is. Luckily I was able to make it home.. barely.

This is appalling. I can’t believe people would do that. Amazing.

One time I was looking for a spot in a busy parking garage. A friend was with me. There was a charging spot available, but I didn’t need to charge. My brother insisted that I take the spot, but I refused. He couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t just take it. I told him someone might need to charge. He basically rolled his eyes.

Like these?...
20190113_101920.jpg
20190113_101925.jpg

Reactions: Anzir and BBryson
And much worse at Epcot yesterday! 2 out of 4 spaces where blocked but NOT charging!
One car was a Tesla Model 3 and one spot was ICEd...
It would be nice if those few spots were kept free for those who NEED to charge...
I have seen this frequently at Epcot. It underscores the need for Tesla destination charging at Disney Resorts and reveals the almost total lack of charging alternatives. The Animal Kingdom is a notable exception regarding alternatives, but even that seems to be an after-thought. I love Disney World, but the don't support EV's.

It underscores the need for Tesla destination charging at Disney Resorts [...]

Amen.

Just spent a long weekend at the Dolphin resort. Hugely annoying not to have destination charging of any kind at the resorts... in this case it worked out OK for us, but only because thought it through in advance: arrive at the hotel, plug car into 12A/110V outlet, take Disney buses/boats to the parks, and the car would be fully charged by the time we left 3 days later.

Sheesh.

For the Disney hotels, I would think if they made 110V outlets available it would fill the need for most of their guest with EVs. Charge rate isn't an issue if your car is plugged in for over 48 hours.

That's only true if you'll exclusively visit Disney parks and don't plan to enjoy any other part of Orlando. No nightlife, CityWalk/Universal, etc. What you suggest is exactly what we just did, but it limits your freedom. And considering how cheap and easy it is for each hotel to install 2-4 L2 chargers, it's getting to feel more ridiculous every year.

Reactions: PJFW8
The very general area, good sir. From the Dolphin or WDW generally, the nearest Supercharger is about a 25-minute drive which would make for a nearly two-hour outing just to charge. Universal does have chargers (in the valet area), and of course other hotels or homes with charging capability are also a good option. Gotta say, though, if you're specifically visiting Disney parks or Universal parks, staying on-property and not having to drive/park saves a metric ton of time and hassle.

For Disney here are you best options when staying at their properties or close by...

Per FL code, there must be an outlet installed near a AC unit so if you drive around you'll inevitably find an AC unit in close proximity to an available parking spot that will allow you to plug into that outlet without causing a trip hazard. I've successfully done this every time I've been to Disney and after a couple days I am usually charged up with no cost. The outlets are always 20amps so it helps a lot if you have that adaptor (I happen to have it).

Also, you can stay in a cabin at Fort Wilderness. They have a 20 amp outlet at each cabin for charging golf carts. Works perfect for the Tesla. I would recommend bringing an assortment of bungee cords (or duct tape if you don't mind a mess) as those outlets tend to be a little loose from all the golf cart charging. You'll need to be able to prop up your charger or the weight will just make it fall out. You might be able to use one the 50amp outlets in a vacant RV spot if you play your cards right.

The Hilton and Waldorf Astoria have J1772 chargers in their parking garage. You have to pay for parking but you can get a free charge.

The Four Seasons also has HPWC available. This is my personal favorite but it's pricey as you would imagine.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
staying on-property and not having to drive/park saves a metric ton of time and hassle.

If you stay at a property that has monorail, yes. We stayed at the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge recently (I accidentally booked our house for part of our stay...oops) and we found the bus system to be a huge hassle. Buses are packed (standing room only) and they make several stops before reaching your destination. Not to mention, just waiting for the bus to come. I'm not saying the parking lot and tram are better than the buses, but not much worse, if at all. Plus, staying off-property with your own car allows you to go to less-expensive restaurants and you can hit the grocery store and/or Walmart/Target.

Oh, and the walk from the bus to our AK Lodge room was about 10 minutes. Pulling-into the garage, plugging-in and walking into the house is nice, I must say.

If you stay at a property that has monorail, yes. We stayed at the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge recently (I accidentally booked our house for part of our stay...oops) and we found the bus system to be a huge hassle. Buses are packed (standing room only) and they make several stops before reaching your destination. Not to mention, just waiting for the bus to come. I'm not saying the parking lot and tram are better than the buses, but not much worse, if at all. Plus, staying off-property with your own car allows you to go to less-expensive restaurants and you can hit the grocery store and/or Walmart/Target.

Oh, and the walk from the bus to our AK Lodge room was about 10 minutes. Pulling-into the garage, plugging-in and walking into the house is nice, I must say.
Note that Disney Resorts are now charging per day for parking even if you are staying there. Parking at the parks is now $25 for the day.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine